I've listen to about 100 hours of this album and this is my interpretation of it:

1. And The Gods Made Love - Strong high dose acid trip.
2. Crosstown Traffic - Nagging girlfriend won't let him work.
3. Voodoo Chile - Condensed autobiography.

5. Little Miss Strange - Getting hit on by women.
6. Long Hot Summer Night - Self explanatory.
7. Come on (Let the Good Times Roll) - Sex.
8. Gypsy Eyes - Heartbreak.
9. Burning of the Midnight Lamp - Smoking a joint.

10. Rainy Day, Dream Away - Jamming with friends in a basement on a rainy day.
11. 1983... (A Merman I Should Turn to Be) - Post-apocalyptic prediction of a future in which elite society abandons their un-enlightened friends and starts a civilization on the ocean floor.
12. Moon, Turn the Tides... Gently Away - Saying goodbye to dry land.

13. Still Raining, Still Dreaming - His acid trip with his friends on a rainy day in a basement just ended.
14. House Burning Down - his interpretation of Hell.
15. All Along the Watchtower - Tribute to Bob Dylan.
16. Voodoo Child (Slight Return) - This is the single that the average music consumer will remember 50 or 60 years from now.
Last edited by Lateralus32 at Mar 31, 2012,
In the Netherlands we have a weekly documentary which covers a different 'classic album' each time, electric ladyland was last week. It explained how all the songs were created, might be interesting for you. With some, you arent far off, but the 2 rain songs (rainy day, dream away and still raining, still dreaming) were just created whilst he was travelling and it was raining if i remember well.
Quote by Leon987
In the Netherlands we have a weekly documentary which covers a different 'classic album' each time, electric ladyland was last week. It explained how all the songs were created, might be interesting for you. With some, you arent far off, but the 2 rain songs (rainy day, dream away and still raining, still dreaming) were just created whilst he was travelling and it was raining if i remember well.

Could you give me a link to this documentary?

My post was based on just listening for many hours, but I'd like to learn more.
I like your interpretation of 1983. Never really thought about it in that way. EL is an amazing album.
R.I.P Jon Lord, Rory Gallagher and Jimi!
I was 15 when (1988) when I first listened to this album. It was all about Kiss, Crue, Van Halen, Metallica... and my buddy told me about Hendrix and how was the greatest. I looked up to him a bit and picked up EL (my first Hendrix album). I had it a few weeks before listening to it, I just wasnt that musically interested.

Then a couple mates and I got 3 hits of acid to take (first time trying). We picked them up from a buddy I worked with at this pet store selling fish. When my boss walked by I freaked and chucked them all in my mouth eating the evidence (like an average joe would know the smaller than stamp size piece of paper I had was drugs). Needless to say I was FLYYYYING and my first trip was pretty epic.

About 6 hours later Im home chilling in my room still totally tripping out and I see this tape with the cool painting of Jimi looking all soulfull and singing. I put it in. First track is Gods made love. Needless to say tripping my ass off I believed every song was sung and written for me for that day. Sober, high or underwater Hendrix is still my favorite musician. Amazing album. Amazing way to experience Hendrix for the first time.
he of tranquil mind
wow I'm jelly, that is such an epic way to first try Hendrix
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus