Alright, I want some new pickups for my Gibson SG. They have to be active
and, preferably, look a bit like the original ones (with the silver cover, because
I love the look). I don't need an amazing shredding tone, I've got my Jacksons
for that. But still a good tone for anything from blues to moderate metal like
Saxon or Priest or something like that.
Why do they HAVE to be active? Go with some Jb/jazz, or bareknuckles or something
just give me a fender and let me rip
Please don't put active pickups in that guitar, you'll spoil the tonal character of the thing. You don't need actives for the genres you mentioned, in fact, they'd be far worse than some passives. I'd look at a JB/Jazz combo.
Gibson SG
Peavey 6505
Jet City JCA20H
Mesa 2x12

"They found her body, face down dead in the rain,
Such a shame,
Such a pretty face, never should have felt this pain"
Black Stone Cherry <3
If you're set on actives AND with chrome covers then you're limited to the EMG 81, 85, 60, the X versions of all those three and plain old Seymour Duncan Blackouts. Within that limited range of options there's not much to talk about here - a 60X neck and 85X bridge will give you the best versatility for blues and metal.

Frankly if you ditched the chrome covers you could do better - a 60AX in the neck and bridge is the best active set up for versatility. The new Hetfield EMGs may also be worth a look too (and they come with dark chrome covers).

Or you could try the SD blackout preamp with some passive pickups - an SD Alnico II Pro in the neck and a Pearly Gates Plus (Pearly Gates with an alnico 5 magnet in it) or a 59 model in the bridge would give you could range and work decently with the preamp, though bear in mind that the just having an active preamp will not give you the wide frequency response and low noise of an active pickup.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
okay, i guess i'm going for passives then... best of both worlds, right? so what would be the best passives then?

and on a completely unrelated sidenote, i love sd blackouts too, but are they actually bridge or neck pups? it never says on their website. are they sold in pairs?
I hate to be that guy, but what is your amp?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
just a nice jcm 800 head and some pedals in between, i've got an ehx metal muff for now but maybe i'm buying something else. could someone recommend me one?
Quote by kiwiug
just a nice jcm 800 head and some pedals in between, i've got an ehx metal muff for now but maybe i'm buying something else. could someone recommend me one?
If you're use a fair amount of pedals and you've got an amp with as much gain as the 800, actives won't do much for you. They'll give you the wide response of course but the main, big benefit of actives is to try mid-gain amps harder without using pedals. Especially if you'll be using an additional distortion pedal, all the actives will do is limit your ability to get decent blues and classic tones. You'll have no problem doing metal, but you said you want a bit more range than that and high gain amp + pedals + actives is pure metal and not much else.

Quote by kiwiug
okay, i guess i'm going for passives then... best of both worlds, right? so what would be the best passives then?
SD Pearly Gates and a Custom are my go-to picks for mahogany-bodied, set neck guitars which need to do a fair range of tones. A 59 would open the neck a little bit more, if your guitar is particularly dark-sounding or if you're going to be much more on the metal side. I'm a big fan of the DiMarzio Evo 2 as well for thick-sounding guitars that need to mostly do high-gain stuff but also need to be able to go a bit softer occasionally. A SD Custom 8 (buy a Custom and replace the magnet with an alnico 8 one) is a really, really good choice for a high-output bridge pickup that needs to be versatile, though it does mean you're having to open your pickup up to mod it and I understand many people are put off by that idea.

and on a completely unrelated sidenote, i love sd blackouts too, but are they actually bridge or neck pups? it never says on their website. are they sold in pairs?
They can be either. Same with EMG actives. Actually, it wasn't really until the 70s that people started making dedicated bridge and neck models of pickup - even then, you can stick any pickup in any position you want. A pickup in the neck position can always be lowered to match the bridge output (in fact this is a smart thing to do anyway, since a neck pickup that's very high can pull your strings out of tune).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
If you want something that's simply hotter, get some BKP Aftermaths.

What you're asking for is somewhat contradictory. You want a high output pickup but you intend to play blues and classic rock. I don't understand why you would want more output.

You also may want to look at Dimarzio Super Distortions, but they don't come in chrome covers.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 31, 2012,
+1 on the JB/Jazz combo.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer