I'm thinking about buying a Dean Exotica Grand-Auditorium Electric-Acoustic in Cocobolo wood. I was wondering if anyone has played this guitar, or any guitar in the Exotica series.

Do you like it? Does it play well? Does the Aphex system sound good?

I am going to try to play one in the store, but if I don't find a store with a floor model of it, I'm going to just buy it. It'd be alot better than the guitar I have now (which is actually pretty good anyways), and I've heard them being played before, I love the sound and the look.

So anyone have experience with 'em?
I tried to change my password to 'penis'...it said it was over the limit
I've played a few of the Dean Exotica series guitars. They play incredibly well, and they sound great plugged in. If your playing it acoustically though, it sounds tinny and horrible. I'd recommend it if you had NO intention of playing it unplugged, but if you are going to want to play it unplugged then I'd suggest you look for something else. The Dean exoticas look cool, play well, and sound good... but only when they're being played through an amp or PA. And about the Aphex system, is sounds incredible!
Like other guitars that look flashy such as Lunas and Ibanez exotic wood series, these guitars are all flashy look, no quality.

My suggestion is to avoid them. Dean does not make good acoustic guitars. Electric guitars? Sure, but not acoustic.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
So what would you recommend thats in the same price range? ($400 - $500) I play Dave Matthews and lots of Classic Rock on my acoustic guitar. I haven't looked around much. I have a really nice Dean Electric, so I figured I'd look into their acoustics, and I understand that some companies are better Electric makers than Acoustic makers.
Quote by MantheDan
So what would you recommend thats in the same price range? ($400 - $500) I play Dave Matthews and lots of Classic Rock on my acoustic guitar. I haven't looked around much. I have a really nice Dean Electric, so I figured I'd look into their acoustics, and I understand that some companies are better Electric makers than Acoustic makers.

I'd recommend that you look into some Takamines. They're a great acoustic guitar company. I have an EG511 ($600) That I absolutely love. I'm not sure I'd recommend it if your ONLY going to be play classic rock, but it could definitely handle it. It just has a very balanced sound to it that allows chords to ring out very clearly. The highs can distinctively be heard under the lows which gives it an awesome sounds in my opinion, but it's not a sound that everyone likes.

http://www.takamine.com/guitars/g_series_dreadnoughts/eg511ssc

browse through a few of the G series dreadnought guitars and see if anything catches your eye. Even though they're all dreadnoughts they each sound pretty different.
Quote by MonsterMetalMus
I'd recommend that you look into some Takamines. They're a great acoustic guitar company. I have an EG511 ($600) That I absolutely love. I'm not sure I'd recommend it if your ONLY going to be play classic rock, but it could definitely handle it. It just has a very balanced sound to it that allows chords to ring out very clearly. The highs can distinctively be heard under the lows which gives it an awesome sounds in my opinion, but it's not a sound that everyone likes.

http://www.takamine.com/guitars/g_series_dreadnoughts/eg511ssc

browse through a few of the G series dreadnought guitars and see if anything catches your eye. Even though they're all dreadnoughts they each sound pretty different.

Yeah I was actually just looking at them man. Probably what I'm going to end up with. Thanks.
anything ! anything but the Dean exoticas. ..... unless you prefer show over go. cap's right, the only music shop near me sells all 3 of those. i laugh when i see someone oohing and ahhing over them. only reason that companies are selling that crap is because there are noobs out there willing to shell out good money for them.
Quote by captivate
Like other guitars that look flashy such as Lunas and Ibanez exotic wood series, these guitars are all flashy look, no quality.

My suggestion is to avoid them. Dean does not make good acoustic guitars. Electric guitars? Sure, but not acoustic.
Although it's not in the ads, The Ibanez, "Exotic Wood" series, and the Dean, "Exoticas", ARE actually elecrtric guitars.

With that said, the electronics in both of these lines are more than decent. Ibanez has EQ feedback suppression, and chorus. The Dean has EQ, (I think)> feedback suppression, and the "Aphex Aural Exciter" system.

So, I'm not quite sure of the logic whereby everybody sits back and reviews them as acoustic instruments. I would be fairer to sit back and judge them for what they are, flashy electric guitars, designed to sound like acoustics, for performance situations, in acoustic bodies.

So, the same rules as these for not buying a Dean or Ibanez exotic, could equally be applied to any Ovation shallow bowl. That's not the case. Because "we", "like Ovation", "we", sweep that under the rug.

I completely agree these guitars are not the route for beginners. But an experienced player / performer should audition them through a PA or a variety of amplifiers, to determine if any of them would be either a useful visual, sonic, or both, addition to their stage act.

An article on tone woods for tops explains maple this way:
Maple, in particular, having the lowest velocity of sound of the three, can be downright flat-sounding-a blessing in disguise when a guitar is amplified at high sound-pressure levels.
Other hardwoods, (and laminates), would likely share some of this characteristic.

Disclaimer: Personally I'd avoid the Dean like the plague. First, because of its poor rep for sound, but I just think the Ibanez "EW" guitars are more tastefully styled. Hey, they're still plenty gaudy, but it's in a more "laid back" kind of way...

That Dean headstock is enough to avoid the whole brand.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Mar 31, 2012,