Page 1 of 2
I've decided that I need a strat for something else than metal, like blues and classic rock and some hard rock too. For metal I have my Gibson Les Paul Studio loaded with EMGs which I am very pleased with and that is probably why I want to get different sound world.

Now, what I'd like the strat to have:

Brand: One limitation. No Ibanez. I do not hate them, but I had an Ibanez and I really didn't get used to the neck. It really didn't just feel good enough. Could be either the fret size or then the neck shape itself.
Shape: Strat (or Jackson-type super strat)
Must have 22 or 24 frets (I feel 21 being too few )
Must have a maple fingerboard
Preferably bolt-on maple neck
Body wood doesn't really matter, but alder is great.
With a tremolo (Either standard or vintage or FR)
H/S/S, H/S/H or S/S/S configuration

Location: I live in Finland. I hate to order guitars blindly, because I want to try them out.
Budget: 600 euros (Can stretch to 800 if it really gets me something much more valuable than 600)
Ready to mod? Sure.
Ready to look for used? Sure.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Mar 31, 2012,
Quote by Ultima2876
You are aware you just described a Fender Strat right?

Umm yes, other than being 22 or 24 frets, not 21 and I want specifically a maple fingerboard and really prefer 3 pickups, which makes Blacktop unavailable.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

charvel pro mod?

i'd say tokai if you want something more vintage but normally they only have 21 frets
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
dunno what availability is like in your neck of the woods, but check out the G&L tribute series. Specifically, check out the Comanche, S-500 and the Legacy. They're all excellent guitars, and offer some really good features for the money.
indeed

i should have clarified i meant the pickguard-mounted one, which is HSH-routed under there. you can make it whatever you want
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Sakke
I hate to order guitars blindly, because I want to try them out.

This is the most important part of your post. Go to a shop and try every guitar that falls within your budget. Then go to another and do the same. Keep going until you find the guitar you want.

Once you've found the guitar you want, surf the internet for the best deal on it, either used or new.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Shop locally, dude!

Check out Ruokangas & Flaxwood: out of your price range, perhaps, but indicative of a good Finnish luthierie culture. Somebody in your neck of the woods must be supplying lower-priced, locally produced guitars.

(And I've heard that Flaxwood is considerably cheaper in Europe than here in the USA...and a used one would be cheaper still.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 31, 2012,
Quote by Dave_Mc
charvel pro mod?

i'd say tokai if you want something more vintage but normally they only have 21 frets

They have space for a single-coil to the middle behind the pickguard, as you said? Cause making a smooth hole there for one wouldn't come cheap, also keeping in mind the costs of a single-coil pickup. However, I do like the fact that they're crafted in Japan. Only downside is that I'd have to order this guitar online, since Fender has decided to limit their export on Jackson and Charvel guitars (this is what I heard from the local shopkeeper, cause otherwise he'd have Jackson and Charvel guitars on the wall.)

Yeah, I know that Tokai makes excellent guitars for the money, but the strats have 21 frets, like they're "supposed" to. I like Tokai's LP copies though.

Quote by krehzeekid
dunno what availability is like in your neck of the woods, but check out the G&L tribute series. Specifically, check out the Comanche, S-500 and the Legacy. They're all excellent guitars, and offer some really good features for the money.

The S/S/S routed Legacy strat looks really promising. Too bad the one with a humbucker in the bridge does not have maple fingerboard, I'd really like to have that for the hard rock style.. But I can always buy a single-coil sized humbucker, so it isn't a problem.

Quote by GaryBillington
This is the most important part of your post. Go to a shop and try every guitar that falls within your budget. Then go to another and do the same. Keep going until you find the guitar you want.

Once you've found the guitar you want, surf the internet for the best deal on it, either used or new.

I have tried out a lot of strats, mostly superstrats, but original Fender ones too.

I really don't like buying online, because I always get so nice deals from the local guitar shopkeeper. As an example, I never have to pay anything else than strings when I get them set on my guitar. I guess that's what I deserve to get since I've mostly bought all my stuff from there.

Quote by OVER9000VIDEOS
It's the only one I could find. To be fair you're being a bit picky. If you didn't want a maple fingerboard so badly, you could get a nice Fender

Yes, I'm being a bit picky, but I have to.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard

Last edited by Sakke at Mar 31, 2012,
Quote by Sakke
They have space for a single-coil to the middle behind the pickguard, as you said? Cause making a smooth hole there for one wouldn't come cheap, also keeping in mind the costs of a single-coil pickup. However, I do like the fact that they're crafted in Japan. Only downside is that I'd have to order this guitar online, since Fender has decided to limit their export on Jackson and Charvel guitars (this is what I heard from the local shopkeeper, cause otherwise he'd have Jackson and Charvel guitars on the wall.)

Yeah, I know that Tokai makes excellent guitars for the money, but the strats have 21 frets, like they're "supposed" to. I like Tokai's LP copies though.

far as i'm aware they do (they're specced as being HSH-routed), but haven't actually checked myself

i think the japanese factory that makes the charvels and japanese jacksons has shut, unfortunately. so that's not going to help the future availability of them
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
far as i'm aware they do (they're specced as being HSH-routed), but haven't actually checked myself

i think the japanese factory that makes the charvels and japanese jacksons has shut, unfortunately. so that's not going to help the future availability of them

Oh, that stinks really.. Well, I think that the G&L might have more potential than the Charvel for me. However, as I am trying to find a guitar myself, I stumbled upon this:
http://www.schecterguitars.com/International/Products/Guitar/California-Vintage-VS-2.aspx
Would it be decent? I think the G&L looks a little better than that one.

I am not looking to spend more on a strat, because it's basically a whole new world. Standard tuning, instead of one step lower, I won't play really heavy metal on it, maybe something in the style of Iron Maiden and Skid Row perhaps.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard

Frudua- an Italian company- makes some beauties that may be available for a price you'd be willing to pay:

http://www.fruduastore.com/frudua-c-1300_1334.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

The Carvin Bolt series falls in your price range as well, and 3 options on how much you'd pay.:

Customized to your specs*: http://www.carvinguitars.com/customshop/boltneck.php

Guitars in stock: http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitars-in-stock/group.php?cid=SB&dir=R&sort=price

Guitar kits: http://www.carvinguitars.com/kits/

* yes, guitars depicted with only 2 pickups can get a third as an option.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 1, 2012,
Can you afford the American Special Strat? I'm not sure how prices are where you are. But that is the cheapest Strat that is exactly what you want.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by dannyalcatraz
The Carvin Bolt series falls in your price range as well, and 3 options on how much you'd pay.:

Customized to your specs*: http://www.carvinguitars.com/customshop/boltneck.php

Guitars in stock: http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitars-in-stock/group.php?cid=SB&dir=R&sort=price

Guitar kits: http://www.carvinguitars.com/kits/

* yes, guitars depicted with only 2 pickups can get a third as an option.

As much as I'd like to have a Carvin, I could not get it for that price. To be honest, I'd really want to get a Carvin that is customized to my own specs. The Finnish dealer of Carvin, Musiikki Silfverberg, offers Carvin Bolt guitars with a price tag of 1200 euros and up. That's way over my budget and gives me way too many options. For now, I'd like to just explore this world with an excellent, but affordable strat.

Quote by Offworld92
Can you afford the American Special Strat? I'm not sure how prices are where you are. But that is the cheapest Strat that is exactly what you want.

Yeah well, it's on the very top end of my budget. Granted, it is pretty much the cheapest and matches everything I'd want. Pretty much the same as with my LP Studio. As new American Specials like 900 euros here, so it's something that I would not really want to spend. The G&L Tribute series Legacy looks really promising, cause it isn't too expensive, falls into the same price category as Mexico strats. Although it isn't made in Mexico or USA or Japan, it still offers all the features I'm looking for and isn't made out of plywood or something like that.

Why I'm not ready to spend on this guitar as much as on my LP, is that I'm not sure that I would use it as much. It would be mostly just for my own fun, not band.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard

Last edited by Sakke at Apr 1, 2012,
i haven't tried that schecter. the maple neck only appears to be available on the black one, though, if that's important.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i haven't tried that schecter. the maple neck only appears to be available on the black one, though, if that's important.

Yes, I noticed that one, it doesn't really matter. However I'd like the guitar be something else than black, I really like the 3-tone sunburst finish on strats.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard

As much as I'd like to have a Carvin, I could not get it for that price. To be honest, I'd really want to get a Carvin that is customized to my own specs. The Finnish dealer of Carvin, Musiikki Silfverberg, offers Carvin Bolt guitars with a price tag of 1200 euros and up. That's way over my budget and gives me way too many options. For now, I'd like to just explore this world with an excellent, but affordable strat.

I suspected import costs would be a bear, which is why I've mostly been suggesting Finnish or other European brands.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I suspected import costs would be a bear, which is why I've mostly been suggesting Finnish or other European brands.

Yeah well, Ruokangas guitars cost around 2900 euros at cheapest? I gave my budget, I think.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard

Quote by Sakke
Yes, I noticed that one, it doesn't really matter. However I'd like the guitar be something else than black, I really like the 3-tone sunburst finish on strats.

yeah i'm not fussed on black on strats either, which is why i mentioned it
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Flaxwoods and Frudua are also quality, and considerably cheaper...though they may not be to your exacting specs (aesthetically speaking, not quality).

I was really just throwing them out as exemplars of the quality available in Europe by local luthieries- suggesting you may be able to find The One without having to pay brutal import taxes by considering brands we almost never see in the USA.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 1, 2012,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
The Flaxwoods and Frudua are also quality, and considerably cheaper...though they may not be to your exacting specs (aesthetically speaking, not quality).

I was really just throwing them out as exemplars of the quality available in Europe by local luthieries- suggesting you may be able to find The One without having to pay brutal import taxes by considering brands we almost never see in the USA.

Yeah, but what I'm trying to find now is the "decent" guitar and best for the budget that I've got with many limitations, not a custom of my own.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard

Right, but as the McPherson's (and Carvin's) site illustrates, guitar makers big & small often have stuff in stock that may be to your liking- new or used. Unless you're talking about the guys who make custom only, there will be some guitars in stock almost anywhere you look, sometimes at quite reasonable prices. Jon Kammer's custom work starts at $2k, but his standard models cost right under half of that.

And its not just the makers themselves. Keep your eyes open! I bought all of my JKG guitars directly from Jon himself...but middle of last year, I saw a used walnut one hanging in the GC just down the street from me for $1000. I knew what the first owner had paid for it- I had one of the same model in a different wood- so I knew that was a steal.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be the same in Europe...just with different brands. Even high-end guitars wind up on the pegs of the used guitar section of guitar shops...

The Highway One Strat is cheaper than the Special and it's a great guitar!

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Apr 2, 2012,
Quote by Perverockstar69
The Highway One Strat is cheaper than the Special and it's a great guitar!

I had totally forgotten that Highway One has got 22 frets. Hmm.. But what I can see is that none of the Finnish guitar shops have the maple one in store and only one web shop has got the rosewood one in store. Got to have to look for one.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard

Last edited by Sakke at Apr 2, 2012,
Nothing wrong with trying out the rosewood one- you may like it. You may hate it. You may hate it so much you won't want a maple one.

If you like the rosewood but still really want the maple, use your charm and they may be able to get you one.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Nothing wrong with trying out the rosewood one- you may like it. You may hate it. You may hate it so much you won't want a maple one.

If you like the rosewood but still really want the maple, use your charm and they may be able to get you one.

Only that the store is like at least 600 kilometres away from me, I don't own a car and the costs would be ridiculously high just to try one out.

But I do know that I want a maple one, cause I've tried out a Squier strat with a maple fretboard and liked it much more than it's rosewood brother.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard

Last edited by Sakke at Apr 2, 2012,
Those ARE valid reasons!

OTOH, 600km? That's only an hour and a half away by Bugatti Veryon...

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 2, 2012,
Quote by Sakke
Oh, that stinks really.. Well, I think that the G&L might have more potential than the Charvel for me. However, as I am trying to find a guitar myself, I stumbled upon this:
http://www.schecterguitars.com/International/Products/Guitar/California-Vintage-VS-2.aspx
Would it be decent? I think the G&L looks a little better than that one.

I am not looking to spend more on a strat, because it's basically a whole new world. Standard tuning, instead of one step lower, I won't play really heavy metal on it, maybe something in the style of Iron Maiden and Skid Row perhaps.

if he is saying they are HSH routed, all you would have to do is to cut the pickguitar or a new pickguiard out to fit an additional single coil. you would have to route anything on the body if he is right, which i think he is.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
What? It shouldn't be that hard to find a quality American standard strat with the specs you've listed. Heck, that describes my guitar perfectly! I got an amazing 2001 us Fender Strat with a maple neck and fingerboard and with 22 frets! It's got the standard SSS pickups and sounds absploutly great, just like a Strat should! & it only cost me just under a grand.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
if he is saying they are HSH routed, all you would have to do is to cut the pickguitar or a new pickguiard out to fit an additional single coil. you would have to route anything on the body if he is right, which i think he is.

that's what i'm saying. you're talking about buying a new pickguard and then fitting/soldering the pickups.

obviously if you don't like the guitar, that's different, and obviously check with charvel to make sure it's definitely HSH-routed under there, but yeah.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I do prefer maple fretboards too . Are the new japanese Charvels real pro quality guitars? I'd love how they look. I had an 80's american Charvel that got stolen and it was an amazing guitar.

BTW, my HW1 is from 2006 and IMO is better than newer ones with the big headstock, I do like that guitar a lot. The only thing I don't like is the bridge pickup and the bridge (it always breaks the 1st string if I try to make a 2 notes bend) but you can modify it with not so much money.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
i think so. never actually tried them, just the older USA pro mods. But i haven't heard much bad about the MIJ ones. many (not all) people are saying the MIJ ones are better than the US pro mods were.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2