I'm tired of my solid state tin can (Spider IV 15w...lol ), and I'm looking to go tube. or maybe not... if you can recommend an amazing SS, i'll consider it along with the tube amps.

New/Used: I really, REALLY prefer new
Type: Combo, i don't want a half stack (or full stack)
Style: hair metal, hard rock, classic rock, good cleans aren't necessary (but they would be nice)
Budget: somewhere around 1000 USD, absolute maximum is $1500

I play mostly in a bedroom, but I may join a band some time soon.
I don't want to go over 50w (even though that's too much too). It needs to sound good at low volumes.
I'm looking for a hot-rodded Marshall tone, something like the Splawn Quick Rod. I previously planned to purchase the Splawn Street Rod, but, at around $1800, it' s a little out of my price range.
I play a MIA Fender Stratocaster Standard SSS if that is of any significance.

UPDATE
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I've narrowed it down to these:
Splawn Street Rod
Mesa/Boogie Express 5:50
Blackstar HT-60
JCA5012rc
Orange TH30c
Which one? (If i missed something that I should consider, feel free to tell me)
Last edited by RStrat at Apr 6, 2012,
Jet City JCA50 112.

You might want to see if you can find a Marshall JCM 800 combo as well.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
honestly, if you can get to $1500 and know what you really want is the splawn, it might be a little silly not to stretch the little extra (unless you're already struggling at $1500)

i say that having not tried splawns
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I know 1500 is really close to the price for a Street Rod, but 1500 is actually a stretch. I have about $1000 to spend, but I set 1500 as a max in case I found something I really liked. That's my bad: I worded it badly. I fixed it in the OP.

I'm having second thoughts about going tube. I'm going to change the post to say tube or ss. As long as it sounds good and is within my other guidelines, I'll get it.
Last edited by RStrat at Mar 31, 2012,
ah ok

laney maybe? gh50 or 100l or something like that. though they're not as good value in the us as they were in the uk
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What I meant was I want to know what the best amp for me is, whether it's tube or solid state. I don't think I really have a preference.
I think the rebel 30 combo is $750 new. If you play it cranked the "tube mix" is a very cool feature. Lots of usable tones. Def check out Egnater if you haven't already
Rebel 30 sounds cool, but I've heard of hissing problems. I can't stand hiss.

If I got the JCA 50 212, what would I need to get metal lead tones? I have a TS-9.. would that suffice?
Combos only. The Dark Terror sounds pretty good, but it sounds too compressed. And I'm not just saying that because it's small than a cereal box.

I'll think about the HT-60.
So does the 5212 always sound so trebley and crunchy or can you get it to have a lead solo type of sound, with or without a TS-9?
Quote by RStrat
What I meant was I want to know what the best amp for me is, whether it's tube or solid state. I don't think I really have a preference.

tube probably. unless you're playing at whisper volume all the time, i guess.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
One perk for having an SS amp is playing with headphones. That's what I'm doing with my current amp. It sounds much better through headphones. Also, it is noiseless to others, so they won't mind.
Quote by RStrat
So does the 5212 always sound so trebley and crunchy or can you get it to have a lead solo type of sound, with or without a TS-9?
The 5212 isn't good for metal in the slightest, I wouldn't get that if that's what you plan on playing moslty. The 5012 will do pretty much anything without a boost, but I can't recommend a $600 Chinese amp when you are willing to spend $1500.

With $1500 you should be able to get your hands on a Mesa Rectoverb combo, plus a TS-9.
Quote by RStrat

If I got the JCA 50 212, what would I need to get metal lead tones? I have a TS-9.. would that suffice?

I know someone that plays a Rebel 30 and there are no issues with it all.
1. The SG stands for “solid guitar.”
Quote by Ian_the_fox
The 5212 isn't good for metal in the slightest, I wouldn't get that if that's what you plan on playing moslty. The 5012 will do pretty much anything without a boost, but I can't recommend a $600 Chinese amp when you are willing to spend $1500.

With $1500 you should be able to get your hands on a Mesa Rectoverb combo, plus a TS-9.

Sorry, I worded that badly again. By metal, I meant a warm, lead, solo tone. I couldn't think of any words to describe it at the time. Kind of like a SLO-100 tone. Isn't the only difference between a 5212 and a 5012 an extra speaker?
Oh, and finding a new Rect-o-verb combo will probably be near impossible. They stopped production, didn't they?
Last edited by RStrat at Mar 31, 2012,
I came here to say jet city, but people beat me to it.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Jca50.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
A few amps I found within price range:
Ampeg GVT 52-212
Soldano Astroverb 112
Orange TH30C
Orange TT15C 112
That's all I've found so far. Thoughts on these?
If I can find a way to scrape together 1850, should I go with the Street Rod? I doubt I'll be able to save this much and still buy an amp sometime soon.
Quote by RStrat
Sorry, I worded that badly again. By metal, I meant a warm, lead, solo tone. I couldn't think of any words to describe it at the time. Kind of like a SLO-100 tone. Isn't the only difference between a 5212 and a 5012 an extra speaker?
Actually they're worlds different from each other. The 5212 is based off of a Soldano Lucky 13 while the 5012 has the SLO lead circuit. The 5212 doesn't have near the amount of gain or intensity that the 5012 or the 50/100w Jet City heads do.

Now that you've mentioned wanting SLO style leads the JCA5012c is probably the only amp in your price range that will get you almost exact. Or the JCA100h/50h heads, but you said you wanted a combo.
Why is the 5012 so much cheaper than the 5212 then? I would think higher gain amps would be priced higher.
I only named the SLO because I knew most people would know what I was talking about. I meant lead tones in general. I think I really like the Orange TH30. It's listed at 1400, but since I can buy it at a Guitar Center (unlike the Street Rod), I can probably get 15-20% off of it.
So would the TH30 be able to handle everything I play? I listened to some clips and is sounds really heavy.
Splawn Street Rod
Blackstar HT-60
JCA5012rc
Orange TH30c
Quote by RStrat

Where on earth did you hear that? Mine is dead silent unless I'm playing. I think you heard that from someone who's never played a rebel or needs tubes or something
Quote by RStrat
Splawn Street Rod
Blackstar HT-60
JCA5012rc
Orange TH30c

ish

seriously dude. Those other amps cannot hold a candle to a Splawn. Go for the Street Rod. You won't be disapointed. Nothing on that list is even in the same boat. Not even the Orange.

I mean at least add the Mesa Royal Atlantic or even Trans Atlantic and the Orange Rockerverb.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Apr 6, 2012,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

seriously dude. Those other amps cannot hold a candle to a Splawn. Go for the Street Rod. You won't be disapointed. Nothing on that list is even in the same boat. Not even the Orange.

I mean at least add the Mesa Royal Atlantic or even Trans Atlantic and the Orange Rockerverb.

Rockerverb costs 2000+ and so does the Royal Atlantic. TA-30 1/2x12 is about as much as the street rod. I just wanted to see if any of those amps could come close to the street rod because the less expensive the amp, the quicker I'll be able to get it. And I've heard things about the waiting list for Splawns.. takes several months sometimes, right? I thought the 5:50 sounded good.

I like the TA-30 too, but I'm guessing you don't think that compares to the street rod either?
Express was OK but largely forgettable for me. I really like the R/As, T/As and the Rockerverb but every time I played one and went 'wow' I went home and played my Quick Rod and was like 'oh yeah, i forgot how much better this is'

I'm considering the used market not the new one.

I personally will not buy a new amp ever again
http://newjersey.craigslist.org/msg/2870591950.html

http://splawnfans.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=nitro&action=display&thread=8177

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-6OL8fSShc

Believe me.....saving up for my Quick Rod was painful as I watched other lower cost opportunities slip by. In the end though, I'm glad I waited.

And honestly, I still have T/A, Electra Dyne, Mark, Renegade and Rockerverb G.A.S.

The GAS never goes away
You might consider a Budda Superdrive 18 or 30 as well. Great combo amps, high gain, sound great.

Loud as balls though.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
I think I'd rather go new for the street rod. If I do end up ordering one, what are the customization options? I asked around but never really got a good answer. Can you customize the tolex color, headshell type, control panel/knobs, and grill cloth?
Yeah, you should be able to get just about whatever you want.

http://splawnguitars.com/custom08.htm

If you are truly interested then I suggest joining the Splawn online forum if you have not already. Or at least lurk. They have a Street Rod subforum that is pretty active. Scott Splawn is also a great guy to work with - send him an email.

http://splawnfans.proboards.com/index.cgi

PS: i'm splawndude over there
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Apr 7, 2012,
K thanks, I'll be sure to sign up @ the forum.
I actually already emailed Scott a few months back but he never replied. I'll try again sometime soon.
Oh, and I've heard some really disturbing things about the shipping process of an amp. I've never ordered an amp before, so what should I expect in terms of damage? I'd really rather not order a $2000 amp just to receive the same amp that has been lessened $500 in value just from the damage it took to get to my house.
How was yours? Did you get it in good condition?
Let me know if you do - I'll make sure you get answers. You should be able to get most of your questions answered over there.

Shipping is like shipping anything else to anywhere else. Things are insured and if a carrier drops something then you take pictures and don't sign anything. Scott packs his stuff well I can tell you that. I bought a cab from him. Now, my Quick Rod I bought used from a guy locally.

See if you can find someone near you that has one. There are quite a few on Rig Talk too if you lurk around.

Otherwise the Royal Atlantic would be fun and you can look at some of the other Marshall clones and modded Marshalls. There won't be too many amps though that can beat the Splawn build quality.
Quote by RStrat

Some of the new ones have a slight hiss on the clean channel but it's due to the pre-amp tubes. Changing the v1 tube kills the hum.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by JKHC
Some of the new ones have a slight hiss on the clean channel but it's due to the pre-amp tubes. Changing the v1 tube kills the hum.

A Rebel 30 just doesn't compare to a Splawn, or a Budda, or a Mesa Boogie, though.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Mesa Electra Dyne won't be what you really want, some people think is a marshallized Mesa, they are wrong. Try to get the Quick Rod used, really! That's what you really want .

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Apr 8, 2012,