I just got myself a wrist brace yesterday, and I've hand it on since. I only take it off to shower. I injured myself playing guitar because of bad posture on my fretting hand (particularly with power chords) but I continued to play for a month or so after I started feeling a tweaking sensation in my forearm, but with better posture. I rarely got the pain, but when I did, it was usually while bending.

I stopped playing when I realized I could be dealing with something serious and here I am now. I'm too scared to even pick my guitar up anymore. I have nothing to do now and I'm afraid that after playing long after my initial injury, I may have chronic tendinitis or something.

I plan on getting it checked out but I probably won't be able to get an appointment until sometime in the summer. How serious do you guys think it is? This whole thing is depressing because playing guitar is all I've ever wanted to do.
Quote by Slipping
I just got myself a wrist brace yesterday, and I've hand it on since. I only take it off to shower. I injured myself playing guitar because of bad posture on my fretting hand (particularly with power chords) but I continued to play for a month or so after I started feeling a tweaking sensation in my forearm, but with better posture. I rarely got the pain, but when I did, it was usually while bending.

I stopped playing when I realized I could be dealing with something serious and here I am now. I'm too scared to even pick my guitar up anymore. I have nothing to do now and I'm afraid that after playing long after my initial injury, I may have chronic tendinitis or something.

I plan on getting it checked out but I probably won't be able to get an appointment until sometime in the summer. How serious do you guys think it is? This whole thing is depressing because playing guitar is all I've ever wanted to do.

Just wait.
Or go to another docter.
Hi,

I had recurring wrist pain through playing with my left wrist too bent (spreading fingers out over 5 frets and playing fast legato). I went to BAPAM (performing arts doctors) and they said the tendons were being pulled through the wrist at too sharp an angle and advised me to:

1) rest it for a week
2) do specific exercises - lifting tins of food just using the forearm muscles, not the biceps!
3) return to playing with the wrist as straight as possible

It's been mostly better, most of the time, ever since. The occasionalt twinge of pain reminds me to correct my technique, but I'm still playing and still teaching guitar for a living. See http://www.121guitarlessons.co.uk.

All the best,

Alistair Pope
www.121guitarlessons.co.uk
Injuries involving the tendons/ligaments take a long time to heal. This is because the tissues have a poor blood supply and nutrients have to diffuse to reach the site of injury. You must wait, occasionally stretch the tendon gently.

It would also be great if you worked on fixing your posture and technique. Most of my friends play their guitars hanging really low, and have similar symptoms but "at least they look cool". Some mild exercise will increase blood flow to the area to help healing, but stop if it hurts.

http://ceep.crc.uiuc.edu/eecearchive/books/fte/appli/Image58v2.gif
Quote by Kortez3000
Injuries involving the tendons/ligaments take a long time to heal. This is because the tissues have a poor blood supply and nutrients have to diffuse to reach the site of injury. You must wait, occasionally stretch the tendon gently.

It would also be great if you worked on fixing your posture and technique. Most of my friends play their guitars hanging really low, and have similar symptoms but "at least they look cool". Some mild exercise will increase blood flow to the area to help healing, but stop if it hurts.

http://ceep.crc.uiuc.edu/eecearchive/books/fte/appli/Image58v2.gif

Helps a lot. But with enough time, will I be able to heal 100%? I don't want to feel handicapped when playing.
Not sure why you can't go see a doctor but I would try to make that a priority. Trying to self diagnose and treat the problem may not help. In some cases, depending on the injury, they don't advise wearing a brace. They actually want you to be moving as to help prevent scar tissue. I'm not saying this applies to you but it's something to consider.
Quote by Slipping
Helps a lot. But with enough time, will I be able to heal 100%? I don't want to feel handicapped when playing.

Of course, some of us have gone through the same and recovered.
Quote by 4ofus
Not sure why you can't go see a doctor but I would try to make that a priority. Trying to self diagnose and treat the problem may not help. In some cases, depending on the injury, they don't advise wearing a brace. They actually want you to be moving as to help prevent scar tissue. I'm not saying this applies to you but it's something to consider.

Docs are expensive, and his advice may even be common sense or something already mentioned here.
Don't worry too much. I know a lot of very skilled guitarists have various wear-and-tear problems with their forearms and wrists, but they aren't always permanent, nor are they cripplingly bad in most cases of long-term problems.

If you've injured yourself, the most important thing to do is give yourself a break and let your body heal up properly. If you think that your posture was to blame, get a few lessons with a good instructor and get him to size up your posture and recommend a better way to hold your instrument. One of the mods on here, Freepower, has a very good video on posture on his youtube account (100% worth checking out, in my opinion).

I personally had some incredibly bad wrist pains for several months around a year ago. After getting a brace and really chilling out on my playing, the pains seemed to abate and I haven't had them since. In all likelihood, it's a one time thing. To make that more likely, learn more about good posture and better ways to warm up and stretch before playing.

Quote by 121GuitarLesson
It's been mostly better, most of the time, ever since. The occasionalt twinge of pain reminds me to correct my technique, but I'm still playing and still teaching guitar for a living. See (link removed)

All the best,

Alistair Pope
(link removed)

May I suggest removing the link? The mods on here tend to strongly disapprove of advertising like that.
Last edited by Geldin at Mar 31, 2012,