How long will it take to master sweep picking or just playing it fast on 3 or 5 strings?
It depends on how much you practice obviously, and your previous skill/experience/current technique. It might take you a day, it might take you the rest of your life.
I tried to change my password to 'penis'...it said it was over the limit
Hi,

Fast sweeping is a physical 'habit' that needs to be deliberately fostered. Get the technique right and it won't take too long to get the basics, but will of course improve gradually in accuracy and speed over time.

Try starting with C and Cm shaped arpeggios, as these are quite comfortable for fingers. Check out my website for more help.

All the best,

Alistair Pope
www.121guitarlessons.co.uk
Quote by Tyler Bro
How long will it take to master sweep picking or just playing it fast on 3 or 5 strings?

Exactly as long as it takes you to acquire the necessary muscle memory and put it into practice.

Sweeping is a tough skill to learn and master, especially since it requires such coordination of fretting, picking, and muting. Given that, it can take a while to get down. I personally don't see it as being something to encourage beginners or intermediate players to learn, since it's so limited in its use and so challenging to do properly.
Quote by Tyler Bro

It takes a while but the important part is to be consistent and always be working on your technique. I t will come over time, that is how it happened for me.

I have seen very sudden jumps in ability though which was really great!
It took me a week, but then again, I did play the same 3 string sweep for three hours a day.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Its a difficult skill to master but you should start by developing your picking hand technique first.

The key is to keep the picking hand moving all the time, without stopping between strings. Also, be careful not to let any 2 or more notes ring over each other. You can do this by muting the strings with your picking hand's thumb as you move up and down the strings.
I'm going to say about 3 weeks to learn a couple of different sweep shapes well enough to show off. Then probably a couple of months to get it sounding non "shreddy" and reasonably versatile.