So I posted before, with a question on learning to play by ear, and ear training, and ive been at it for a week + the months of interval stuff before hand

ive been working for a week, with my descending intervals, and also with functional ear trainer - and there has been progress with both, and a little progress with identifying chord qualities, good progress even...

now, on with the question...

I am playing with these ear training programs like trainear.com and functional ear trainer, and its always easy to see progress - My % goes up, or I get more right out of 20, or out of 500 or whatever. etc, but then...

I go and actually try to figure out a song

this for example - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sxvd8NEd_C8

I even know the chord shapes in advance because originally its a song that i had tried to find tablature for.. and after 30 minutes, i have jack shit - i might know the first 2 notes for sure, and thats it - so then its back to ear training programs? or singing mary had a little lamb and noodling it out my guitar?

i feel like im missing a BIG step in here somewhere, am i allowed or even supposed to use some program to slow the song down? Maybe i need to just listen to the song in my sleep till i can sing the melody lines perfectly :/

sorry to bother you fine people, but im at a loss for anything but 4 letter words at this point, its just incredibly annoying, one note rings into another, i have no idea when hes playing 2 or 3 notes at once, when he goes back and forth between the same 2 notes, i never notice. I am going to continue trying at it when i dont feel like breaking my guitar :/
I kind of cheat/embrace technology (however you want to call it) and open whatever I'm trying to figure out in Audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ . Very handy is the option to loop sections indefinitely (select something then hold shift when you press the play button) and the option to slow things down (in the effects menu under "change tempo"). The tempo change doesn't really sound good but it can make things easier on certain parts.
yes i have used the software before, Ive even heard of people slowing the tempo, and running it through speakers, then using some sort of online tuner with a microphone, as a techy way of learning exactly what the notes are -

however... It feels like I would be undermining the whole point of all this ear training crap :/

i sort of feel like part of the problem is that i really cant keep up with song anyway without practicing..

its like if i were to try to tab out some really fast jazz thing, it would be tough for me cause even if i managed to get all the chords/notes right, i wouldnt be able to play it well it enough to check that I was right...

/e also i think much of my problem, is the guy is singing throughout the song, and his voice sort of carrys the song, so its difficult for me to remember exactly how the notes go because 85% of the time theyre the harmony, not the melody... but because its fingerstyle i cant just strum the chords lol...
Last edited by blunderwonder at Mar 31, 2012,
Ear training takes a lot of time to get good at. Don't rush it. It's good that you're trying to get better, but don't expect to see significant results even in a week. Also, don't jump right in with the hard stuff. You will most likely see more progress if you start off with easy stuff and gradually work your way up.

Good to see that you took my advice on singing . I would also start transcribing SIMPLE melodies (mary had a little lamb, twinkle twinkle little star) if you haven't already. Yes I know it isn't fun and you rather transcribe songs that you want to play, but if you keep at it you will get there eventually.
Quote by blunderwonder

however... It feels like I would be undermining the whole point of all this ear training crap :/

i sort of feel like part of the problem is that i really cant keep up with song anyway without practicing..

Well...you still have to listen to it and do it by ear. The program doesn't have a magical "transcribe" button.

And I've transcribed plenty of stuff that I can't play (or I bothered to transcribe it and never to learn it )

Another trick that sometimes makes things easier to hear when transcribing stuff is to do faux vocal removal (split the stereo track and then invert the phase on one of the channels, thus cancelling out whatever was panned to center, which is usually vocals and bass in 90% of music)
Quote by seljer
Well...you still have to listen to it and do it by ear. The program doesn't have a magical "transcribe" button.

And I've transcribed plenty of stuff that I can't play (or I bothered to transcribe it and never to learn it )

Another trick that sometimes makes things easier to hear when transcribing stuff is to do faux vocal removal (split the stereo track and then invert the phase on one of the channels, thus cancelling out whatever was panned to center, which is usually vocals and bass in 90% of music)

maybe you're right :/ I just really dont want to have rely on my computer and audio software everytime i want to tab something out... maybe it will come with time :/

/e also since you have experience tabbing stuff out, would you say doing that has helped your ability to do it on the spot? I mean it doesnt turn into a necessity to need to slow everything down or whatever?
Last edited by blunderwonder at Mar 31, 2012,
Second what was said about it taking a while. It's going to be one of those things where you feel like you struggle for a long time and then all of a sudden you can do it. The struggling matters, though.

Furthermore, if you're new at this I would say don't start by transcribing complicated guitar parts. Start by transcribing melodies. Why transcribe the melody of that song into a guitar line first - see how long that takes. Gradually work you way up to complex fingerpicked parts.