Hi everyone.

Yesterday I asked my teacher what I could do to improve my picking speed, and he advised me to switch the angle on my pick for rhythm passages, stuff like:

5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5
7------------7-----------7

So that my pick is now connecting with it's "side". If this is a string __, like this: _l_ , instead of like this: _V_ (looking from above). Not completely perpendicular, but almost.

While it does make for faster picking (especially in the two string stroke) it also sounds a bit flimsier.

What I want to know is, is this a "crutch"? He said almost anyone playing very fast rhythm will angle their pick, but I'd never heard of it. Do people really? Or is this a shortcut that might help me now but is actually "incorrect playing"?

Thanks!!
Last edited by Rainmaker31 at Mar 31, 2012,
I don't think that you have to angle your pick to play fast. The key is to keep your wrist and forearm loose, even at high speed; it's when your arm get tensed that you'll lose speed. That's how I achieved good speed, but as I never been a real shredder, maybe I'm wrong..
Quote by Rainmaker31
Hi everyone.

Yesterday I asked my teacher what I could do to improve my picking speed, and he advised me to switch the angle on my pick for rhythm passages, stuff like:

5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5
7------------7-----------7

So that my pick is now connecting with it's "side". If this is a string __, like this: _l_ , instead of like this: _V_ (looking from above). Not completely perpendicular, but almost.

While it does make for faster picking (especially in the two string stroke) it also sounds a bit flimsier.

What I want to know is, is this a "crutch"? He said almost anyone playing very fast rhythm will angle their pick, but I'd never heard of it. Do people really? Or is this a shortcut that might help me now but is actually "incorrect playing"?

Thanks!!

You might want to experiment with how much to angle. It definitely is conducive to more speed but I think your attack gets too soft when you angle it to much.

One thing might be to ensure you simply pick louder. How? By practicing up strokes and getting your picking hand nice and tight. You can also just play simple passage and deliberately pick harder/louder.

Be careful that your fretting hand do not tense up because this might happen because your right hand is going harder.
you don't need a lot of angle at all. I find if i angle too much, the notes become quieter and lose clarity. A 30 degree angle or so is enough
Also, you should be careful with the pick angle, that you're not striking the strings wit the direct sides of the pick. Otherwise, you're likely to get more of a scraping effect than clean articulated notes.