So I finally sold my Ibanez GIO to some kid and it's time to get something nice after all these years

Budget: $750 CDN, I can stretch a hundred bucks or so if it's really worth it

Artists: Thraaash metal and hard rock, lots of Megadeth and some Van Halen and Black Tide, some stuff like Protest the Hero and the Fall of Troy also

Preferences: No Strat bodyshapes, no tremelos. Kind of looking for something aesthetically badass.

Pickups: Anything but single coils, I'd prefer no EMGs but it's not that big of a deal.

Willing to buy used.

Also, I'm looking to go full out metal with this thing. Versatility is not an issue here as my American Fender Strat covers all the softer genres I play.

Closest city is Toronto, I'm Canadian.

Go!
If you like Vs (personally I find them comfortable as hell), a Rhoads sounds great for you.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jackson-RR24XT-Rhoads-X-Series-Electric-Guitar-107470742-i2038245.gc

That plus some DiMarzios or Duncans would be what I'd go for. May save a few bucks too
Last edited by Wisthekiller at Mar 31, 2012,
LTD EC-1000 VB Duncans.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Not a fan of PRS at all, and I said I wanted to go full out metal
Quote by Wisthekiller
If you like Vs (personally I find them comfortable as hell), a Rhoads sounds great for you.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jackson-RR24XT-Rhoads-X-Series-Electric-Guitar-107470742-i2038245.gc

That plus some DiMarzios or Duncans would be what I'd go for. May save a few bucks too

Where are these guitars made? I should've mentioned in the OP I want something American, Japanese, or Korean made. I'm not so sure about buying something Chinese or Indian :/
Thats not a bad deal. MF still sells them for 1639 so your basically getting one for $600 less at the least. Maybe more if you were able to talk him down. Hes open to offers.
Quote by OVER9000VIDEOS
Not a fan of PRS at all, and I said I wanted to go full out metal

so get a black one.

or aren't they pointy enough for you?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
so get a black one.

or aren't they pointy enough for you?

That and the bird inlays

I know they play great, but dear God PRS are hideous

My Strat already does the job a PRS would, except it doesn't look gay

i need sumthin br00talz
Quote by OVER9000VIDEOS
That and the bird inlays

i need sumthin br00talz

party on garth!
Quote by OVER9000VIDEOS
That and the bird inlays

i need sumthin br00talz

Whaaaat?
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Quote by Dr Sixstring
Whaaaat?

don't feed him.

TS - there has to be a dean with your name on it! good luck!
EW DEAN

I was thinking maybe an Ibanez Xiphos, how are those?
Quote by n1ckn1ce
PRS SE Nick Catanese? EMGs, stoptail, not a strat. Nailed it.

No bird inlays either, hm, maybe.

How are the SE series? Korean made, right?
Last edited by OVER9000VIDEOS at Apr 1, 2012,
go ltd or jackson bro, i played an H-351FR for awhile and kicked some ass for like, megadeth,
slayer, cannibal corpse even
Quote by OVER9000VIDEOS
EW DEAN

I was thinking maybe an Ibanez Xiphos, how are those?

spoken like a true megadeth fan.

the SE model PRS's are nice guitars for the cash. newsflash, most of them don't have birds.
Wouldn't you take a look at higher end Ibanez, Like RG2570Z or maybe even an RG3550MZ?
Also Used RG550 would be the best. Or either a Jackson RR5.

Ibanez VBT 700 or iceman can be what you are looking for.
Last edited by cemges at Apr 1, 2012,
Quote by cemges
Wouldn't you take a look at higher end Ibanez, Like RG2570Z or maybe even an RG3550MZ?
Also Used RG550 would be the best.

those are strat bodyshapes you fget

Alright, so I've narrowed it down to either: Jackson KVXT, Jackson RR24XT, PRS SE Nick Catanese, or an LTD EC-1000.
^did the ESP EC that you linked to sell already? Cause that would blow all of those out of the water.
NT

BE QUICK OR BE DEAD SON
The PRS Ses are korean made, but don't judge them only on this point. There is not a SE I tried that felt cheaper or any different then a USA PRS.
Used Jackson RR5
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
I can vote for the LTD EC-1000 from experience with it. If you want all out metal, it delivers, and I'd recommend it. But if those are the four guitars you are down to, then I would suggest just creating a table with all of the specs, and comparing them to see who has better aspects to them, to make sure you feel like you're getting what you feel is the best. That's what I did to get my LTD DD

EDIT : And if you are willing to buy used, I know you can get the EC-1000 for around $600 USD, and you could probably get those two V-shaped guitars for closer to $400.
Guitars
LTD EC-1000 vb
Ibanez RG7321

Amp/Modeler
Line 6 POD HD500

Headphones
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Last edited by NortonDevon at Apr 1, 2012,