Page 1 of 2
Hey guys

I've got a bit of money coming my way and so it's finally time for a new axe, I'm looking for something no more than about £1000. I've been researching and comparing different guitars and I've narrowed it down to these;

BC Rich Pro X Mockingbird FR
BC Rich Pro X Mockingbird Jake Pitts signature model (Slightly different, has FR too)
LTD MH-1000 Deluxe FR
LTD MP-600
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-1 FR
Epiphone Zakk Wylde ZV custom

I've also been thinking of getting a custom guitar made by Tanglewood, but I'm not sure about how I would go about doing that or how much it would cost.

I currently play a Tanglewood TSB-67, it's an SG, and as far as genre goes, I play some classic rock, 80's style metal, modern metal, blues rock and Metal with a Pirate Metal/Neo-classical vibe. My top guitar and musical inspirations from number 1 downwards are;

Slash
J.S. Bach (The german composer guy)
Jake Pitts
Michael Paget
Musicman1066
Zakk Wylde
Neogeofanatic
Mick Thompson
Jim Root
Randy Rhoads

My technique is similar to that of Michael Paget, although I use a lot of legato to compensate for my poor alternate picking, so I'd need a guitar best suited to having low action. All of these guitars I've listed are used by metal players I think.

So what are your opinions on the guitars in the list? Which do you think is best and why?

Also are there any other guitars at around or less than £1000 that you would recommend?
Here's a list of things I'm looking for in a guitar;

Mahogany Body
24 frets
Active EMG pickups
Eith a String Thru body or a genuine Floyd Rose
Locking tuners.
A Master Tone, a Master Volume and a 3 way selector switch.
Double Cutaway, this rules out LP's.
Either black, red or white as the primary colour.
Neck colour matching body and headstock.
Reasonably lightweight.
Fret markers of some kind.
Last edited by Ash_SG_Shred at Apr 1, 2012,
ive played those mockingbirds and they are fantastic, wouldnt be bad choice
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
MH-1000. I'm not a fan of LTD's but out of what you've specified, that guitar meet the requirements the best.

You can't have string thru body and a Floyd Rose in the same guitar.

Also locking tuners on a guitar with a floyd is pointless.

Basically what this is indicating is that you don't know weather you want a Floyd Rose or not. If you don't, i'd find out before you spend any amount of money.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 1, 2012,
I know you can get some luthier-quality guitars in that price range- Jon Kammerer's standard models sart at $995, and his customs start around $2k. Some of the lesser-known European brands of quality are within your price range, like Flaxwood & Frudua.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I think the Mockingbird is probably the highest quality guitar on the list.

Unless you find an old MH-1000. They used to have OFR's, now they have FRT-1000's. The difference is for all intents and purposes negligible, but still worth pointing out. Generally though, old LTD's just used higher quality tonewoods than they do now.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Ash_SG_Shred
Hey guys

I've got a bit of money coming my way and so it's finally time for a new axe, I'm looking for something no more than about £1000. I've been researching and comparing different guitars and I've narrowed it down to these;

BC Rich Pro X Mockingbird FR
BC Rich Pro X Mockingbird Jake Pitts signature model (Slightly different, has FR too)
LTD MH-1000 Deluxe FR
LTD MP-600
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-1 FR
Epiphone Zakk Wylde ZV custom

I've also been thinking of getting a custom guitar made by Tanglewood, but I'm not sure about how I would go about doing that or how much it would cost.

I currently play a Tanglewood TSB-67, it's an SG, and as far as genre goes, I play some classic rock, 80's style metal, modern metal, blues rock and Metal with a Pirate Metal/Neo-classical vibe. My top guitar and musical inspirations from number 1 downwards are;

Slash
J.S. Bach (The german composer guy)
Jake Pitts
Michael Paget
Musicman1066
Zakk Wylde
Neogeofanatic
Mick Thompson
Jim Root
Randy Rhoads

My technique is similar to that of Michael Paget, although I use a lot of legato to compensate for my poor alternate picking, so I'd need a guitar best suited to having low action. All of these guitars I've listed are used by metal players I think.

So what are your opinions on the guitars in the list? Which do you think is best and why?

Also are there any other guitars at around or less than £1000 that you would recommend?
Here's a list of things I'm looking for in a guitar;

Mahogany Body
24 frets
Active EMG pickups
String Thru body
Genuine Floyd Rose
Locking tuners.
A Master Tone, a Master Volume and a 3 way selector switch.
Double Cutaway, this rules out LP's.
Either black, red or white as the primary colour.
Neck colour matching body and headstock.
Reasonably lightweight.

Buy an organ.
Of, if that's not an option, go for an ESP or a Schecter...
Quote by Ash_SG_Shred

Neogeofanatic
Mick Thompson
Jim Root

+1

MH-1000 or the Blackjack would do best for you in my opinion if you want a floyd. If you would rather go with hard tail then deffinately the ZW sig, i played a couple of them and loved them. Infact the ZW sigs were what got me into wanting a LP, before I tried one I didnt even want to think about having a LP.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
MH-1000. I'm not a fan of LTD's but out of what you've specified, that guitar meet the requirements the best.

You can't have string thru body and a Floyd Rose in the same guitar.

Also locking tuners on a guitar with a floyd is pointless.

Basically what this is indicating is that you don't know weather you want a Floyd Rose or not. If you don't, i'd find out before you spend any amount of money.

The locking tuners would just make tuning slightly easier for me, I'm not very good at restringing by wrapping the string around the post, it takes me forever :/

I do want a Floyd Rose, but I'd settle for a guitar without one that has better tone, craftsmanship etc in the same price range.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I know you can get some luthier-quality guitars in that price range- Jon Kammerer's standard models sart at $995, and his customs start around $2k. Some of the lesser-known European brands of quality are within your price range, like Flaxwood & Frudua.

I just checked out those companies websites, couldn't make any sense of Frudua's website, but Flaxwood has me interested. Have you played any of their guitars yourself?

Quote by IbanEZP
Buy an organ.
Of, if that's not an option, go for an ESP or a Schecter...

LOL! I meant his note choice and the scales he used, his compositions were brilliant, particularly the fugue in his 'Toccata and Fugue in D minor'.
I always found the prs se torero to be better then the mh-1000. Very similar guitars, the neck was more comfy on the torero.
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
I always found the prs se torero to be better then the mh-1000. Very similar guitars, the neck was more comfy on the torero.

I never even considered PRS! I didn't even know they had some less expensive guitars, that Torero sounds great from what I've heard on Youtube there now, although I'd prefer something with fret markers.

I'd be willing to stretch my budget up to about £1500 if that extra £500 would get me any more features worth getting, but I'd prefer to keep it lower because I'm also buying a new amp and better recording gear , I want to put more of my cash into those.
If you've got problems trying to restring your guitar because of windings
around the posts and need locking tuners to avoid that,
you'll be a long way from home with a Floyd, son.

Seriously, they can be a bitch to set up if you don't know what you're doing.

Get a solidbody guitar with a hard tail bridge.
Easier to restring and tune and you have a bit more body in your sound.

Check out the new edition of Epi Prophecies.
Nice specs there.
Quote by Dunkelheit-164
If you've got problems trying to restring your guitar because of windings
around the posts and need locking tuners to avoid that,
you'll be a long way from home with a Floyd, son.

Seriously, they can be a bitch to set up if you don't know what you're doing.

Get a solidbody guitar with a hard tail bridge.
Easier to restring and tune and you have a bit more body in your sound.

Check out the new edition of Epi Prophecies.
Nice specs there.

It's a pain, not a problem, I can do it, it just takes me awhile and is quite irritating, I'm probably just doing it badly :/

How am I supposed to ever get to know how to set up a floyd rose if I don't get one? I don't mind putting in the time to learn how to set them up, it may well be difficult, but like anything, rolling cigarettes for example, it can be done with a bit of practice.

I'm either going with a Floyd Rose or a String-Thru body.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

+1

I wouldn't touch anything on your list if you have £1000, but that's just me. They're intermediate instruments at pro prices because (a) the market is idiotic and (b) because of the recession the pound's pretty weak.

But even with that, you can get way better guitars with your budget. Just keep an eye out.

if you can get up to £1500 you have some seriously nice options from the likes of Vigier, Suhr, MusicMan etc. Heck even USA Jacksons, ESP (not LTD), Ibanez Prestige or J-custom would, if you ask me, be way better than anything in your list. There are also some luthiers in the UK who could probably make you something for that kind of cash, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

I wouldn't touch anything on your list if you have £1000, but that's just me. They're intermediate instruments at pro prices because (a) the market is idiotic and (b) because of the recession the pound's pretty weak.

But even with that, you can get way better guitars with your budget. Just keep an eye out.

if you can get up to £1500 you have some seriously nice options from the likes of Vigier, Suhr, MusicMan etc. Heck even USA Jacksons, ESP (not LTD), Ibanez Prestige or J-custom would, if you ask me, be way better than anything in your list. There are also some luthiers in the UK who could probably make you something for that kind of cash, too.

A few pro players use some of those guitars, Slash's rhythm player for example has used a BC Rich Pro X Mockingbird, Jake Pitts has also used it, and he now has his own signature model of it.

I agree with you that the market is idiotic, I've only investigated the mainstream guitar companies, I never even spared a thought for lesser known companies. But even so, I like what I've heard from the guitars mentioned, so that's why I'm considering buying one of them. I've seen the Mockingbird at as low as £600, so I could potentially get two of them.

I have £3000 coming my way, but I don't want to spend a buttload of money on just one guitar, because if it breaks then I've lost a lot of cash, and I want to buy a good amp aswell.

I think some of those companies you've listed are only expensive for the name, a lot of the materials used seem to be consistent with the cheaper guitars.

How would I go about getting a USA made guitar? Like how could I tell if it was built in the USA, and would I contact the company directly to order it?
I have £3000 coming my way, but I don't want to spend a buttload of money on just one guitar, because if it breaks then I've lost a lot of cash, and I want to buy a good amp aswell.

An amp can break just like a guitar can. Actually, they have more parts that are delicate- though inexpensive- so they may have just as much of a chance of rapping out as a guitar. Still, dividing your loot between a quality axe & amp seems a good idea to me.

My perception is this: you can get a high quality amp for a lot less than an electric guitar of equivalent quality, and your amp is the reason why your tone sounds good or bad. So spending money on a decent amp is never wasted...but after you break the $1000 mark, quality amps utterly skyrocket in price.

Guitars, OTOH, jump in price pretty quickly up to the $1000-2000 range, and then things slow down a bit. After a certain point, you're not so much paying for quality as for customized touches (like a scalloped or fan-fretted fingerboard), exotic materials (koa instead of maple) or visual aesthetics (Zemaitis-style engraved metalwork or Somogyi-style woodwork)- the electronics in the $1000 guitar are going to be fairly similar to one 5x more in price.

(I say this as someone with 6 guitars in the $1000+ price range.)

How would I go about getting a USA made guitar? Like how could I tell if it was built in the USA, and would I contact the company directly to order it?

Most of the makers these days have particular designated model lines that are only MIK, MIJ, MIM or made in the USA, and their websites (or the retailers) will tell you which line is which. IOW, all of Company X's "Lancaster Z" models will be MIK, the "Lancaster Plus" will be MIM, the "Lancaster Elite" will be MIJ, and the "Lancaster Pro" would be the USA line...and Z's, Plusses, Elites, and Pros of other models by the same company will follow that pattern.

A little research and you'll have it.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 1, 2012,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Most of the makers these days have particular designated model lines that are only MIK, MIJ, MIM or made in the USA, and their websites (or the retailers) will tell you which line is which. IOW, all of Company X's "Lancaster Z" models will be MIK, the "Lancaster Plus" will be MIM, the "Lancaster Elite" will be MIJ, and the "Lancaster Pro" would be the USA line...and Z's, Plusses, Elites, and Pros of other models by the same company will follow that pattern.

A little research and you'll have it.

Sounds simple enough, I'm just really paranoid haha, I guess most people would be when they're spending large amounts of money, I just wanna make sure I get quality for my cash and not end up regretting a purchase, y'know?

I'm gonna look into getting a custom from Tanglewood's luthiers, although the one I found seems to only do acoustics. I've become rather fond of my TSB-67 over the time I've had it. I'll definitely be looking into Flaxwood though, the Rautia sounds great! Those BC Rich Mockingbirds sound awesome too, but it's more in the player than the instrument I guess.
Nothing paranoid about wanting to get the most bang for your buck!

As always, if you have to make your purchase online or over the phone, make sure you know the company's return policies.

Another thing- something I did when I bought my first electric sight unseen- is to try to get your favorite local music store to order it for you. Yes, it may cost you a bit more, but in most countries, the laws covering business to consumer transactions are different from business to business transactions. Generally speaking, if you can go that route, your music store will have more time to return the shipment, and will be dealing with a more relaxed return policy in general. (This is also in part because manufacturers are always looking for new outlets into the market, so they want to make a good impression.) In addition, that means you can have the guitar evaluated & set up professionally before you even take it home. Things you might miss wont get past the guy who works in the store.

In addition, you may just make yourself extra welcome in your loal guitar shop. When I did this, I was purchasing a Dean Time Capsule Cadillac AND a Dean EVO Special Select.. They came into the store, but I couldn't get there immediately, so the owners had a week to gawk over it...as did other customers. But they sent the wrong Cadillac- a black 2 HB version when I ordered a tobacco burst 3HB one. So a rep from Dean delivered the correct one personally...and offered me a deal on the Black. (I couldn't afford it, though.)

Because of that order, though, that store became one of the biggest retailers of Dean electrics in the entire Southwest. At that point in time, Pantera was really breaking big time, and nobody in the Dallas/Fort Worth area was really selling Dean guitars- the axe of choice of Dimebag.

They like me at that store.

Quote by StonedColdCrazy
It says local pickup, but he also says he'll ship.
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=190662034428
I dunno if what he says about it being a j custom is correct, but its worth the $$ anyway.

I'm not a huge Ibanez fan. My guitar partner in crime (we play in a band together, an acoustic duo and we're starting a new band) plays an ibanez and he sound killer on it, but I'm not very comfortable on them for some reason, guess it takes some getting used to, but the H-S-H configuration doesn't seem to be my thing.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Nothing paranoid about wanting to get the most bang for your buck!

As always, if you have to make your purchase online or over the phone, make sure you know the company's return policies.

Another thing- something I did when I bought my first electric sight unseen- is to try to get your favorite local music store to order it for you. Yes, it may cost you a bit more, but in most countries, the laws covering business to consumer transactions are different from business to business transactions. Generally speaking, if you can go that route, your music store will have more time to return the shipment, and will be dealing with a more relaxed return policy in general. (This is also in part because manufacturers are always looking for new outlets into the market, so they want to make a good impression.) In addition, that means you can have the guitar evaluated & set up professionally before you even take it home. Things you might miss wont get past the guy who works in the store.

In addition, you may just make yourself extra welcome in your loal guitar shop. When I did this, I was purchasing a Dean Time Capsule Cadillac AND a Dean EVO Special Select.. They came into the store, but I couldn't get there immediately, so the owners had a week to gawk over it...as did other customers. But they sent the wrong Cadillac- a black 2 HB version when I ordered a tobacco burst 3HB one. So a rep from Dean delivered the correct one personally...and offered me a deal on the Black. (I couldn't afford it, though.)

Because of that order, though, that store became one of the biggest retailers of Dean electrics in the entire Southwest. At that point in time, Pantera was really breaking big time, and nobody in the Dallas/Fort Worth area was really selling Dean guitars- the axe of choice of Dimebag.

They like me at that store.

The main guy in my local store is an asshole, he's not a bad guitar player, but he's certainly not great at setting up guitars! The other guy's not too bad I guess, I might just give it a go, it does sound like a good idea actually. Thankyou good sir +1
PM me dude.

I have a few ideas that you might like that are under £1k and are of higher quality than anything on your list.

Would come with a Hard case. 4 year warranty and 7 day return period. Oh it would be new and MIA too.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Ash_SG_Shred
(a) A few pro players use some of those guitars, Slash's rhythm player for example has used a BC Rich Pro X Mockingbird, Jake Pitts has also used it, and he now has his own signature model of it.

(b) I agree with you that the market is idiotic, I've only investigated the mainstream guitar companies, I never even spared a thought for lesser known companies. But even so, I like what I've heard from the guitars mentioned, so that's why I'm considering buying one of them. I've seen the Mockingbird at as low as £600, so I could potentially get two of them.

(c) I have £3000 coming my way, but I don't want to spend a buttload of money on just one guitar, because if it breaks then I've lost a lot of cash, and I want to buy a good amp aswell.

(d) I think some of those companies you've listed are only expensive for the name, a lot of the materials used seem to be consistent with the cheaper guitars.

(e) How would I go about getting a USA made guitar? Like how could I tell if it was built in the USA, and would I contact the company directly to order it?

(a) fair enough, but for every pro player you can name who's playing a cheaper guitar i bet i can name 2 who play a dearer one

(b) I'm not sure of the wisdom of buying two cheaper guitars when you have the money for one good one. Don't get me wrong, i understand it's a lot of money (and i'm probably guilty of this myself, but then again a lot of my guitars i've got pretty good deals on, so...), and there are certain instances where it might make sense (if you need a spare for gigging, different guitars for different tones, or for different tunings), but if you're buying two cheaper almost identical guitars instead of one more expensive better one (and as i said, assuming you don't have a good reason for needing more than one), i'm not sure it makes much sense.

(c) yep it makes perfect sense to want to split the money but i'm not sure you need to go down to £600 for the guitar either unless you're buying an SLO or something.

(d) lolwut? if you think the wood etc. they're using in those more expensive guitars is the same as they're using in cheaper guitars, you're daft. No offence. take mahogany, for example- often in cheaper guitars it's not even the same species.

Don't get me wrong- i'm not saying everything dearer is better, and certainly with some brands you're paying something of a premium for the name. But that's not to say everything cheaper is better value, either. Some stuff is just cheap crap (or cheap and mediocre, at least).

(e) maybe you just made a typo there and meant the UK, but i imagine getting a custom guitar made in the US would be very dear. there are a fair few companies in the UK who'll make you a custom guitar- Feline, Legra, Stormshadow, Jaden Rose, etc. etc. I haven't tried all of those, obviously, and it's up to you to do your research regarding finding a good one to work with if you decide to go that route. I would say that customs aren't for everyone- you need to have a fair idea of your way round a guitar, know exactly what you want, etc. etc. And if exactly what you want is available off the shelf, it might make more sense to go with it, just in case the custom doesn't turn out exactly the way you expect.

regarding off-the-shelf guitars, it normally says on them where they're made.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
(a) fair enough, but for every pro player you can name who's playing a cheaper guitar i bet i can name 2 who play a dearer one

(b) I'm not sure of the wisdom of buying two cheaper guitars when you have the money for one good one. Don't get me wrong, i understand it's a lot of money (and i'm probably guilty of this myself, but then again a lot of my guitars i've got pretty good deals on, so...), and there are certain instances where it might make sense (if you need a spare for gigging, different guitars for different tones, or for different tunings), but if you're buying two cheaper almost identical guitars instead of one more expensive better one (and as i said, assuming you don't have a good reason for needing more than one), i'm not sure it makes much sense.

(c) yep it makes perfect sense to want to split the money but i'm not sure you need to go down to £600 for the guitar either unless you're buying an SLO or something.

(d) lolwut? if you think the wood etc. they're using in those more expensive guitars is the same as they're using in cheaper guitars, you're daft. No offence. take mahogany, for example- often in cheaper guitars it's not even the same species.

Don't get me wrong- i'm not saying everything dearer is better, and certainly with some brands you're paying something of a premium for the name. But that's not to say everything cheaper is better value, either. Some stuff is just cheap crap (or cheap and mediocre, at least).

(e) maybe you just made a typo there and meant the UK, but i imagine getting a custom guitar made in the US would be very dear. there are a fair few companies in the UK who'll make you a custom guitar- Feline, Legra, Stormshadow, Jaden Rose, etc. etc. I haven't tried all of those, obviously, and it's up to you to do your research regarding finding a good one to work with if you decide to go that route. I would say that customs aren't for everyone- you need to have a fair idea of your way round a guitar, know exactly what you want, etc. etc. And if exactly what you want is available off the shelf, it might make more sense to go with it, just in case the custom doesn't turn out exactly the way you expect.

regarding off-the-shelf guitars, it normally says on them where they're made.

A) Well as I said, it's not really about the price tag. I've heard the tones I like from guitars around the £600-1000 price range, but also from guitars in the several thousand range. I'm not rich at all, I don't even a job, I just so happen to have a few thousand coming my way, and it's a rare opportunity to get a gear upgrade. This probably won't happen again until I get a job, so I'd like to stretch the cash as much as I can.

B) I'm starting to gig very soon, and I don't feel comfortable going up with there without a spare guitar ready to go, and I'd like to have something the same, or of comparable tone to use in the cash of string snappage or the like. I don't want to have to swap down from a £2000 guitar to my modest (But pretty awesome) £350 SG.

C) I'm wanting to get either a Peavey or a Bugera + a cab, and there's a few other rather expensive bits and pieces that I want too, such as recording equipment, an OD, a Wah and some other stuff. I don't know exactly what amp I'm going for just yet, but if I see a good deal on a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, I'm sure as hell taking it, so I'd like to keep as much cash as possible so I don't miss out on a good chance.

D) Maybe they are different strains or species of the same wood, I dunno :s Guess I need to do a bit more research.

£600 isn't exactly cheap, at least not to me, I'm only 17, so that's quite a bit for me lol. I'm not trying to skimp out, but I really want to avoid being swindled out of money for a tone I could've gotten for less.

The less I spend on this guitar, the more I have towards my next one, or towards recording studio costs, my band wants to get an EP done this year.

E) Nope, I meant the USA, but I don't think I was talking about customs there, I think I was talking about USA made ESPs and Jacksons, y'know ones actually built in the USA to that supposedly high standard? I'm also looking into getting a custom in the UK, but I'm gonna have to really look into it. I have an idea of what I want, but I still need to have a good think about it, I haven't been playing on enough guitars to really get a feel for what I like.
Quote by Ash_SG_Shred
I'm also looking into getting a custom in the UK, but I'm gonna have to really look into it. I have an idea of what I want, but I still need to have a good think about it, I haven't been playing on enough guitars to really get a feel for what I like.

1) If, as you say, you haven't been playing long, perhaps a more modest upgrade is in order while you sort out what appeals to you most- take about a third to a half of the money coming to you and upgrade your amp while getting a guitar that is either a slightly better version of what you have OR something with a slightly different feel OR a good all-arounder (like something with a splittable H/S/H setup) and put the rest in an interest-bearing savings account.

2) These directories may help you find a custom UK builder: http://www.luthierdirectory.co.uk/luthiers
http://www.jacaranda-music.com/UKGuitars.html

They're not exhaustive- I didn't see Indie Guitars, for instance- but its a start.*

* Note to self: stop helping people find luthiers- looking at lists of guitar makers gives me G.A.S.!

Quote by dannyalcatraz
1) If, as you say, you haven't been playing long, perhaps a more modest upgrade is in order while you sort out what appeals to you most- take about a third to a half of the money coming to you and upgrade your amp while getting a guitar that is either a slightly better version of what you have OR something with a slightly different feel OR a good all-arounder (like something with a splittable H/S/H setup) and put the rest in an interest-bearing savings account.

2) These directories may help you find a custom UK builder: http://www.luthierdirectory.co.uk/luthiers
http://www.jacaranda-music.com/UKGuitars.html

They're not exhaustive- I didn't see Indie Guitars, for instance- but its a start.

1) I've been playing for 2 years and 4 months, and I've been practicing quite heavily (basically all day everyday, I have no life lol), I'm not a crazy fast sweep picker, put I can play things like the Crazy Train solo and the Waking the Demon solo cleanly and up to speed.

I don't like the idea of spending 400-500 on something similar to what I have currently, which is a £350 Tanglewood TSB-67 SG (I installed EMGs myself adding another £140 to it), when I could keep that for something a bit more high-end.

I'm not looking for an all-rounder, my SG accomplishes that for me aswell as my Strat, I'm primarily in Metal bands, so I'm looking for Metal orientated guitars. The only thing I'm undecided on is the bridge type, either a string-thru or a Floyd Rose.

I won't be hanging on to this money, I'm a typical teen, I spend it as I get it haha. I'll end up spending it no matter how hard I try not to, so I might as well spend it on my passion, guitar, before I'm tempted to waste it on other stuff.

2) Thanks, I'll check those out.
I won't be hanging on to this money, I'm a typical teen, I spend it as I get it haha. I'll end up spending it no matter how hard I try not to, so I might as well spend it on my passion, guitar, before I'm tempted to waste it on other stuff.

Yep- I understand 100%. I'm in my 40s and still find it hard to resist.

I was exploring those links- DAMN IT- and found MacPherson guitars (among others). The last guitar on his "For Sale" section is a used 2007 custom "tele" type body with 3 EMGs and a stunning "zebrano" top...£649.00.

http://www.dm-guitars.co.uk/for_sale.html
http://www.dm-guitars.co.uk/For%20sale%20images/Zeb-Top-T-1.jpg

I can't tell you what it sounds like, but it looks killer...could be a steal.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I was exploring those links- DAMN IT- and found MacPherson guitars (among others). The last guitar on his "For Sale" section is a used 2007 custom "tele" type body with 3 EMGs and a stunning "zebrano" top...£649.00.

http://www.dm-guitars.co.uk/for_sale.html
http://www.dm-guitars.co.uk/For%20sale%20images/Zeb-Top-T-1.jpg

I can't tell you what it sounds like, but it looks killer...could be a steal.

'Tis a rather nice guitar! But the money's not here just yet, and it'll be a little while yet before I get it.
If it interests you, contact them!

You never know what kind of timetable such a sale is on; you don't know how long that guitar has been sitting there, or how badly the seller wants to get rid of it. Tell them when you're going to be in the market (as in, when you'll have the money) and that the guitar is definitely under your consideration. They may be willing to hold it for you if you can swing a downpayment of some kind. You may be able to discuss a payment plan.

And, lets be honest, who knows how often he updates his site? Bad news- the guitar could be gone. Good news- he may have others in the same price range that he simply hasn't posted yet.

Only by making an honest inquiry can you find out for sure.

When I first met Jon Kammerer at the Dallas Guitar Show, I couldn't afford to buy anything in his booth with the money I had on hand. But I politely inquired about several of his guitars and was generally friendly with him. I gave him my card, got his, and then told him I'd contact him down the road about getting a guitar from him. (I was NOT kidding.)

I bought nothing at the show.

A couple of months later, he sent me an email and offered me a special price on some of his stuff since he was moving his workshop. By that time, I had enough money to buy something, so I did. That was 5 JKG guitars ago.

The point? An honest and polite inquiry is always welcome, and may get you what you want. But you have to ask.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
If it interests you, contact them!

You never know what kind of timetable such a sale is on- tell them when you're going to be in the market (as in, when you'll have the money) and that the guitar is definitely under your consideration. They may be willing to hold it for you if you can swing a downpayment of some kind. You may be able to discuss a payment plan.

And, lets be honest, who knows how often he updates his site? Bad news- the guitar could be gone. Good news- he may have others in the same price range that he simply hasn't posted yet.

Only by making an honest inquiry can you find out for sure.

Good point! Although I'm leaning more towards the Jake Pitts Signature mockingbird, the tone he gets with that thing is fantastic! Obviously I don't have his amp or his hands, but it's a starting point to finding my tone.

The live tone is killer!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp4_5G1iMKw&feature=related
Heh- I hadn't seen much BVB live stuff- didn't know their bass player was using a Dean Caddy bass. (Woot!)

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Heh- I hadn't seen much BVB live stuff- didn't know their bass player was using a Dean Caddy bass. (Woot!)

They've improved drastically on their latest European Tour, I missed them on the 25th of March in Belfast, I had a ticket and everything D:

Jakes tone is much better now than previous tours, I don't know if it has anything to do with him using his signature Mockingbird instead of the regular Pro X mockingbird, it's a pretty tempting guitar, the inlays are smexy as hell!

http://www.bcrich.com/models/guitars-and-bass/Mockingbird/Jake-Pitts-Pro-X-Mockingbird/182
Quote by Ash_SG_Shred
A) Well as I said, it's not really about the price tag. I've heard the tones I like from guitars around the £600-1000 price range, but also from guitars in the several thousand range. I'm not rich at all, I don't even a job, I just so happen to have a few thousand coming my way, and it's a rare opportunity to get a gear upgrade. This probably won't happen again until I get a job, so I'd like to stretch the cash as much as I can.

B) I'm starting to gig very soon, and I don't feel comfortable going up with there without a spare guitar ready to go, and I'd like to have something the same, or of comparable tone to use in the cash of string snappage or the like. I don't want to have to swap down from a £2000 guitar to my modest (But pretty awesome) £350 SG.

C) I'm wanting to get either a Peavey or a Bugera + a cab, and there's a few other rather expensive bits and pieces that I want too, such as recording equipment, an OD, a Wah and some other stuff. I don't know exactly what amp I'm going for just yet, but if I see a good deal on a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, I'm sure as hell taking it, so I'd like to keep as much cash as possible so I don't miss out on a good chance.

D) Maybe they are different strains or species of the same wood, I dunno :s Guess I need to do a bit more research.

£600 isn't exactly cheap, at least not to me, I'm only 17, so that's quite a bit for me lol. I'm not trying to skimp out, but I really want to avoid being swindled out of money for a tone I could've gotten for less.

The less I spend on this guitar, the more I have towards my next one, or towards recording studio costs, my band wants to get an EP done this year.

E) Nope, I meant the USA, but I don't think I was talking about customs there, I think I was talking about USA made ESPs and Jacksons, y'know ones actually built in the USA to that supposedly high standard? I'm also looking into getting a custom in the UK, but I'm gonna have to really look into it. I have an idea of what I want, but I still need to have a good think about it, I haven't been playing on enough guitars to really get a feel for what I like.

A) That's what I'm trying to help you to do

B) That's fair enough. But I'd still say you can get better guitars than you have in your list and have enough for 2. the guitar companies want you to think you can only afford a mid-range instrument if you have £600, so you have to upgrade to a "better" one later. If you know what you're doing and/or have a little bit of luck regarding finding good deals, you can get very nice guitars for around that kind of money. Certainly japanese-made stuff is well within sight at that kind of price- Tokai (bear in mind the cheaper ones aren't japanese, the japanese ones have 2-screw trussrods, plus they say "made in japan" on them either on the back of the headstock (gibson copies) or at the neck heel (fender copies)), Ibanez Prestige, Charvel Pro Mods, etc.

C) Sure. Again, I reckon you could do better than a bugera with your budget, but it's your call.

D) Yep, again that's fair enough, but you need to watch out you're not actually wasting money by cheaping out too much. When you're on limited funds with not much prospect of any more coming in, you need to make sure you buy right and buy once.

E) Ah ok, i get you now.

Yep that's perfectly sensible- I do the same myself, and that's sorta how I've been trying to steer you.

ESPs aren't made in the USA, they're Japanese. Anything with ESP (not LTD) on the headstock should be japanese-made. Also there should be a sticker on the back of the headstock saying where it's made.

the Jackson USA select series is made in the USA. It says on the front of the headstock that it's made in the US. The mid range pro series jacksons are made in japan, but they've gone up a good bit in price, and the bolt-on ones' trems aren't amazing. But aside from that they're still nice guitars, just not as nice as the USA ones. However, I think the Japanese factory shut recently, so how much longer the Japanese ones will be available, I dunno.

Prestige Ibanez RGs are made in Japan, again it should say on the back of the headstock where they're made.

I guess... basically what I'm trying to say is, it's not normally all that hard to check if you know where to look, kind of thing.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Apr 2, 2012,
check your profile private messages dude

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Dave_Mc
A) That's what I'm trying to help you to do

B) That's fair enough. But I'd still say you can get better guitars than you have in your list and have enough for 2. the guitar companies want you to think you can only afford a mid-range instrument if you have £600, so you have to upgrade to a "better" one later. If you know what you're doing and/or have a little bit of luck regarding finding good deals, you can get very nice guitars for around that kind of money. Certainly japanese-made stuff is well within sight at that kind of price- Tokai (bear in mind the cheaper ones aren't japanese, the japanese ones have 2-screw trussrods, plus they say "made in japan" on them either on the back of the headstock (gibson copies) or at the neck heel (fender copies)), Ibanez Prestige, Charvel Pro Mods, etc.

C) Sure. Again, I reckon you could do better than a bugera with your budget, but it's your call.

D) Yep, again that's fair enough, but you need to watch out you're not actually wasting money by cheaping out too much. When you're on limited funds with not much prospect of any more coming in, you need to make sure you buy right and buy once.

E) Ah ok, i get you now.

Yep that's perfectly sensible- I do the same myself, and that's sorta how I've been trying to steer you.

ESPs aren't made in the USA, they're Japanese. Anything with ESP (not LTD) on the headstock should be japanese-made. Also there should be a sticker on the back of the headstock saying where it's made.

the Jackson USA select series is made in the USA. It says on the front of the headstock that it's made in the US. The mid range pro series jacksons are made in japan, but they've gone up a good bit in price, and the bolt-on ones' trems aren't amazing. But aside from that they're still nice guitars, just not as nice as the USA ones. However, I think the Japanese factory shut recently, so how much longer the Japanese ones will be available, I dunno.

Prestige Ibanez RGs are made in Japan, again it should say on the back of the headstock where they're made.

I guess... basically what I'm trying to say is, it's not normally all that hard to check if you know where to look, kind of thing.

B) That's a good point. I'll need to seriously rethink the list and do some more research.

C) I think the Bugera's are very underrated and have gotten a bad rep because some were shipped dead. If I buy one I intend to have it set up properly and checked over by a guitar tech. But I'm hoping to get a good deal on a JCM800, I like what I've heard from them. Failing that, I'd be choosing between a Peavey 6505+ or a Bugera 6262. I think people just expect too much from a Bugera, considering the price I think people should expect it to be cheaply constructed and not perfectly set up. Ya get what ya pay for, y'know?

D) I'm gonna do my best to find a good deal. I'm very paranoid about using Ebay though or buying a guitar used, it could have all manor of nasty problems covered up that would show up later.

E) I'm definitely gonna try and find a good luthier in the UK. If I can't find one I'm leaning towards ESP, although I still like those BC Rich Mockingbirds.

I'm not exactly savvy about this kind of thing lol.
Last edited by Ash_SG_Shred at Apr 2, 2012,
Quote by Ash_SG_Shred
A few pro players use some of those guitars, Slash's rhythm player for example has used a BC Rich Pro X Mockingbird, Jake Pitts has also used it, and he now has his own signature model of it.

I agree with you that the market is idiotic, I've only investigated the mainstream guitar companies, I never even spared a thought for lesser known companies. But even so, I like what I've heard from the guitars mentioned, so that's why I'm considering buying one of them. I've seen the Mockingbird at as low as £600, so I could potentially get two of them.

I think some of those companies you've listed are only expensive for the name, a lot of the materials used seem to be consistent with the cheaper guitars.

you can bet that any "pros" that use those guitars aren't using a store bought version.
Quote by monwobobbo
you can bet that any "pros" that use those guitars aren't using a store bought version.

The Pro X Mockingbird that Jake uses on stage has the same logo on the headstock as the one on the website, I'm pretty sure it's the same spec.

He has an endorsement deal with BC Rich, so of course he probably has his own personal custom built one that isn't available to buy. But he's still using the same black and gold one from the website on stage at times, so it must be pretty good if he's still using it.

I would think he's using something waaaaay out of the ordinary players budget in the studio, but I like his live sound, and he's using the publically available model for that.
Quote by monwobobbo

It's a pretty safe bet...but I'm aware of a few pro players who use stock guitars. A very few.

Quote by Ash_SG_Shred

C) I think the Bugera's are very underrated and have gotten a bad rep because some were shipped dead. If I buy one I intend to have it set up properly and checked over by a guitar tech. But I'm hoping to get a good deal on a JCM800, I like what I've heard from them. Failing that, I'd be choosing between a Peavey 6505+ or a Bugera 6262. I think people just expect too much from a Bugera, considering the price I think people should expect it to be cheaply constructed and not perfectly set up. Ya get what ya pay for, y'know?

D) I'm gonna do my best to find a good deal. I'm very paranoid about using Ebay though or buying a guitar used, it could have all manor of nasty problems covered up that would show up later.

E) I'm definitely gonna try and find a good luthier in the UK. If I can't find one I'm leaning towards ESP, although I still like those BC Rich Mockingbirds.

I'm not exactly savvy about this kind of thing lol.

C) I think they have a bad rep because they went on fire

D) yep, sure. When i said a good deal, i didn't even necessarily mean ebay, you can often get new stuff for good deals if a shop happens to have a sale on etc. Of course, you want to check that stuff over too in case the shop couldn't sell it for a reason, but you should still have full warranty etc. on it at least.

E) you'd have to be very lucky to still find one (they've been discontinued for a number of years), but if you can find a calibre classic mockingbird, they're very nice. They were made in europe (czech republic, I think) and are very, very nice guitars if mine is anything to go by. I think i paid about £550 for mine on thomann (new, or maybe more accurately new old stock).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
C) I think they have a bad rep because they went on fire

D) yep, sure. When i said a good deal, i didn't even necessarily mean ebay, you can often get new stuff for good deals if a shop happens to have a sale on etc. Of course, you want to check that stuff over too in case the shop couldn't sell it for a reason, but you should still have full warranty etc. on it at least.

E) you'd have to be very lucky to still find one (they've been discontinued for a number of years), but if you can find a calibre classic mockingbird, they're very nice. They were made in europe (czech republic, I think) and are very, very nice guitars if mine is anything to go by. I think i paid about £550 for mine on thomann (new, or maybe more accurately new old stock).

C) That was an issue with a plastic clip somewhere in the circuitry where it should have been soldered, quite easily fixed, and I think they've started building them properly soldered since then.

D) I'll definitely keep an eye out, my local guitar shop occasionally has a nice axe in at a good price, I've just never had the money on hand till it was too late :/

E) Sounds good, I'll check it out.
c) yep, though i'm guessing they're still built to a price to a certain extent
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
c) yep, though i'm guessing they're still built to a price to a certain extent

Every company ships bad amps occasionally, but because Bugera is owned by Beringher, people just made more of a fuss. Of course I'm not expecting an astounding tone for £400-£800, but I'm sure I can get something good out of it. If it does have issues then I can always send it back and have it replaced.

I'd rather go with something a bit cheaper as far as amps go at this point, I don't want to outdo the gear of my band members, no point in having a Mesa Boogie Mark V if the rest of the band doesn't have good gear to back it up.
Last edited by Ash_SG_Shred at Apr 2, 2012,
Page 1 of 2