At my local guitarcenter there are two amps I've been looking at for a backup to my 5150. They are a Orange Crush 30R for $99 and a Peavey Envoy 110 for $49, they are both used. I tried the Orange Crush today and I liked it. I have yet to try the Peavey.

Im looking for a backup that will play low gain stuff. I got my 5150 for the br00tz. I'd like a nice blues overdrive tone. From what I've heard, the Orange will do that fairly well. As for the Peavey I am not sure, I dont know too much about the Envoy. Money isn't much of a factor, Im just wondering which of these two amps would be a better backup for practicing in my room.

Also, Im not too worried about cleans. Mediocre cleans are fine with me, im used to it with my 5150. Anyways, which would be the better for a bluesy, nice sounding overdrive. Not looking for recommendations of amps, just these two are fine because they're fairly cheap and I can test them out whenever.
Thanks.
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
I'd go with the Envoy but they are both pretty crappy amps. The Peavey is just less crappy.

Have a decent pedal handy and use one of these. Now that's a backup amp. A little more expensive - but how cool can you get?

http://www.ehx.com/products/44-magnum
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 31, 2012,
Quote by Cathbard
I'd go with the Envoy but they are both pretty crappy amps. The Peavey is just less crappy.

Have a decent pedal handy and use one of these. Now that's a backup amp. A little more expensive - but how cool can you get?

Thats a pretty neat thing. But I was always under the impression that Orange made some pretty good amps.
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
Quote by Obama FTW
Thats a pretty neat thing. But I was always under the impression that Orange made some pretty good amps.

Tube amps. Like many other amp companies, they slap their name on a dime-a-dozen SS practice amps that are nothing really amazing.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by Obama FTW

Just not the solid state ones. I have the crush, and is mreh..I'm not disgusted by it, but would rather play just about any of my other amps.
Quote by Obama FTW

They do. They make some very good tube amps. They are like Marshall, great tube amps but as soon as they start using silicon it all goes to hell. The Crush is to Orange what the MG is to Marshall. Total crap that should never have had the brand name placed on it. They are hoping the name Orange will offload their cheap crappy SS amps on unsuspecting kids - don't be one of them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
They do. They make some very good tube amps. They are like Marshall, great tube amps but as soon as they start using silicon it all goes to hell. The Crush is to Orange what the MG is to Marshall. Total crap that should never have had the brand name placed on it. They are hoping the name Orange will offload their cheap crappy SS amps on unsuspecting kids - don't be one of them.

Okay, I gotcha'. It makes sense, I mean who doesn't want an amp thats Orange and has the name "Orange Crush". Totally marketing scheme. So the Peavey Envoy is the better amp out of the two?

Like I said, Im not looking for something too great, just a small, cheap practice amp to use when I dont feel like using my 5150.
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
jet city comes to mind? also egnater!
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Get a Roland Microcube or a Peavy Vyper if u want a practice amp that does decent high gain stuff, but they arent going to backup a 5150. If u want to back that up on the cheap, try to find a used high watt Ampeg, Crate or Randall solid state for $100.

I snagged a Crate GX-130c @ Guitar Center a few weeks ago for $99. It will hang with my 5150 and Egnater Armageddon all day. I can't say enough about that thing. And it sounds great at low volumes too. I mean Cannibal Corps heavy at conversation levels, but when it's cranked, you $hit urself.
Last edited by 667 at Apr 1, 2012,
Quote by Obama FTW
So the Peavey Envoy is the better amp out of the two?

If the only two amps left on the planet were the Envoy and the Crush I'd take the Peavey.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
If the only two amps left on the planet were the Envoy and the Crush I'd take the Peavey.

Hopefully there won't be any electricity at that point.
True - but I have a 2kW solar system on the roof. And a bit of a stock of tube amps and parts. Let the grid fail, I can still play.
*extends middle finger to the world*

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

That is exactly what allot of the boys are doing...

That and the 22.
Quote by Cathbard
True - but I have a 2kW solar system on the roof. And a bit of a stock of tube amps and parts. Let the grid fail, I can still play.
*extends middle finger to the world*

Shhh.... Zombies!