I have been interested in doing an overture for my next album but to be honest it has always been a very intimidating challange.I am a concept album kind of guy so this is something high on my list of to do's.

I was wondering if anyone here has done this before and if you could provide any tips or examples.
Quote by lol2theworld
I was about to diss kornflipsk8er, but then i realized hes an 03er and im an 09er.
I am inferior to him.

Quote by metalh3ad88
I am fairly certain that kornflipsk8er is GOD!!!11!!!!1!!
When I think overtures (rock overtures anyway), I think of some sort of melody made of longer notes (keyboard or orchestral sounds), triplet-y rhythms in the background (palm muted guitar), and lots of cymbals.

If you're into concept albums I'm sure you've heard Dream Theater's Overture 1928.

For a different sort of take, you might check out Nachtmystium's Solitary Voyage. It sounds pretty overture-ish to me. It's black metal, so expect shitty production quality, but the song itself is killer.
Thank you.I am a big Dream Theater fan so I am very familiar with that one but it is well beyond anything I could do.I get the general idea of weaving together the central themes and melodies of the songs but to make it cohesive and flow is very difficult.I have songs of not simply different keys but time signatures and tempos. I tend to get stuck very quickly in songs let alone something like this.I have also been told that I am very hard on myself.Thanks greenbrain.
Quote by lol2theworld
I was about to diss kornflipsk8er, but then i realized hes an 03er and im an 09er.
I am inferior to him.

Quote by metalh3ad88
I am fairly certain that kornflipsk8er is GOD!!!11!!!!1!!
I am a particular fan of epic concept albums and I think I can help you (I also enjoy composing/recording music of this variety).

First of all I can't stress enough how much you need to listen to Beyond Twilight's "For the Love of Art and the Making". It's a Symphonic/Prog Metal concept album. It consists of one song split into 43 parts. Finn Zierler (The mastermind behind the band) demonstrates a very high form of thematic development which is what you are referring to when an overture consists of themes from later movements/songs.

Second, you should research other overtures/prelude/introductory pieces of Western Art Composers, not just Prog Metal. Personally I love Igor Stravinsky and Bela Bartok. All fugues consist of thematic development so you should research those too. If you type into google "composing fugues", you should be able to find plenty of articles (With notation and MIDI) discussing composition in fugues. That should help.

Finally, you shouldn't copy and paste your themes from later songs. Obviously it won't sound coherent if that's what you're doing. Besides, it wouldn't be thematic development if you didn't. Try and adapt a theme to work under a different situation (Such as an energetic Thrash riff into an Atmospheric/Doom setting). If you can't do this (After doing the first two things extensively), then without trying to sound harsh, the music probably isn't good enough for a concept album.

Being hard on yourself musically is a good thing if you can harness it. I know for a fact I'm a perfectionist. It's only a good thing if you don't let it consume you.