Page 1 of 8
...For my debate class.

Yeah, so I have a debate class and right now we're debating Capital Punishment, and I'm on the side fighting to get rid of it. Now, supposedly the side fighting to change something almost never win, but I thought, "Hey, I have an entire pit full of people who hate the death Penalty, they'll help".

Though I know these sort of threads are frowned upon, so I want this thread to be a good ol' pit-argument for or against it. The only thing I ask, is that anyone trying to get rid of it has to give legitimate reasons.

Illigitimate:
-It's bad.
-You can't kill people for killing people

Legitimate:
-The death penalty costs X amount of dollars, significantly more than life-imprisonment.
-X number of innocent people have been killed by Capital Punishment.

Etc. Etc.

Discuss!

Oh yeah, Sources. If you don't cite a source in your post, it won't be considered.
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.
Last edited by Epicbizzjizz at Mar 31, 2012,
We don't need the death penalty. Look at what happened to Jeffrey Dahmer. An inmate killed him, thus the government's hands were clean.
^Yeah, see, that's the sort of Pit-post that I wanted to avoid for once..

I say we kill everyone then all this hassle could be averted.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by Epicbizzjizz
^Yeah, see, that's the sort of Pit-post that I wanted to avoid for once..

Why?
They're getting off easy, duh.

If I were to one day fulfill my fantasy of raping my cat, and got caught and arrested, I'd rather die than go to prison. In fact, I'd be happy dying.

Do you want cat-raping sick fucks like me to be happy? No. You don't.

Death penalty supports cat rape.
Quote by Epicbizzjizz

Illigitimate:
-It's bad.
-You can't kill people for killing people

Legitimate:
-The death penalty costs X amount of dollars, significantly more than life-imprisonment.
-X number of innocent people have been killed by Capital Punishment.

So why can't we use the first answers? Because they don't involve economics? I don't see why logic is so one-sidedly favored and other reasons are thrown aside in almost any debate like this. I have to provide support "legitimate" support but the other side doesn't?

Not trying to bash you, obviously, just the people who won't accept answers like the above.
Last edited by D&DLover at Mar 31, 2012,
It would cost less than 3 meals a day + accomodation + clothes + plumbing + laundry water + detergent + work that inmates might be on if they would just bring back the ol' Decapititator
╘MESHUG╦G╗AH

Ibanez ARX 350
Dunlop 535Q
Ibanez TS9
Peavey TransTube Supreme
DRIVE Elite straight 412
Here are some graphs n shit, yo.

Murder rates:
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
-It is a permanent solution to a possibly temporary problem
-Prisons should be about isolating and rehabilitating offenders (this might be a stretch of an argument)
-Lack of evidence showing a link between the severity of the punishment and discouragement of crime
1. The death penalty ends the life of a human who does in fact have much to say. Not only could they admit to crimes to which the victim or victim's family has yet to receive closure, they could also speak about their motivations, which is useful in criminology. No source needed here.

2. Innocent people have been on death row. Google that yourself, there have been many. Killing an innocent human on the pretense of punishment reeks of Old Testament ethics. Also, we can not foresee the forensic technology that may one day prove a prisoner innocent. We cannot release a wrongly-convicted human if we already killed them.

3. The only practical difference between life imprisonment and capital punishment is cost. Either way, the criminal is separated from free society. Check Wikipedia for how many people there are on death row. You will find that the cost of supporting that amount of people is not impressive.

4. The death penalty makes us all murders.

There's some for you.

EDIT: When interpreting the above graph, remember that correlation is not causation.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Last edited by Eastwinn at Mar 31, 2012,
Quote by Gyroscope
Here are some graphs n shit, yo.

Murder rates:

What are those numbers even representing?
Quote by zomgguitarz1234
What are those numbers even representing?

Usually crime rates are expressed as number of crimes per 100,000 heads.
I'm saying why bother executing the criminal when you could just put him in with the prison population? They can do the dirty work while the government keep their hands clean.
Isn't it incredibly ironic to kill someone for... well killing someone

"What you did is bad, so we're gonna do it to you. Byeee"
Quote by chaoticfables
Isn't it incredibly ironic to kill someone for... well killing someone

"What you did is bad, so we're gonna do it to you. Byeee"

How else are they going to stop? By slapping them on the wrist?
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
How else are they going to stop? By slapping them on the wrist?

Yeah, murdering someone is the only form of rehabilitation/punishment.

Nah
Quote by Eastwinn
Yeah, murdering someone is the only form of rehabilitation/punishment.

Nah

Rehab only has a 27% success rate. Just look at Keith Richards.

Death has a 99% success rate. The 1% is for poltergeists
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG

Touche.

Imagine there's an accent over that e.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG

In Norway that 27 is like the other way around

I don't know the actual number but their repeat offender rates are low and they focus entirely on rehabilitation.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Bring up the fact that the judicial system isn't perfect and that innocent people can and have been incriminated. For ethical reasons there shouldn't be a death penalty until the judicial system has achieved perfection.
Also bring up how it's not economically efficient due to the cost of supplying for the inmate, killing the inmate, and the cost of the appeals from the inmate to not have to be executed.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
In Norway that 27 is like the other way around

I don't know the actual number but their repeat offender rates are low and they focus entirely on rehabilitation.

I think it's because Norway is cool and we aren't
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
like that?

Perfect, thank you for your time.
I don't really see it as being bad to kill people who commit heinous crimes. It's better just to liquidate them. And about the cost, just hang them for gods sake. I don't care if someone thinks it "inhumane".
Quote by BDR_23
I don't really see it as being bad to kill people who commit heinous crimes. It's better just to liquidate them. And about the cost, just hang them for gods sake. I don't care if someone thinks it "inhumane".

I really do see it as being bad to kill people who may have committed heinous crimes. It's better to let them live. I do care if someone thinks it's "inhumane." Just putting the other side of that out there.
Why is the stance that "you can't kill people for killing people" a legitimate argument? It most certainly is.

If you want to be a debater, but you shy away from making arguments based on morality because you feel that they are illegitimate, than you are a failure
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by Dreadnought
Why is the stance that "you can't kill people for killing people" a legitimate argument? It most certainly is.

If you want to be a debater, but you shy away from making arguments based on morality because you feel that they are illegitimate, than you are a failure

They're not my rules bro. That's how debating works, if you want to change something, the burden of proof lies with you, that's why it's so tough. But it doesn't matter what YOU think, you need statistics, and harm.

Innocent dead people is a harm, cost, is a harm. But morality is not.

Quote by Epicbizzjizz
They're not my rules bro. That's how debating works, if you want to change something, the burden of proof lies with you, that's why it's so tough. But it doesn't matter what YOU think, you need statistics, and harm.

Innocent dead people is a harm, cost, is a harm. But morality is not.

I know about debating. I'm saying the standard is shitty. The heart of the greatest debates in America, the ones that reach the Supreme Court, is morality
Quote by Dreadnought
I know about debating. I'm saying the standard is shitty. The heart of the greatest debates in America, the ones that reach the Supreme Court, is morality

Oh, I agree with you, but then it becomes too subjective for this sort of scenario.

Quote by Epicbizzjizz
Oh, I agree with you, but then it becomes too subjective for this sort of scenario.

At its root, the death penalty is subjective and based on morality lol. BALLS TO YOUR DEBATE CLASS
Debate class was the worst.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by bradulator
Debate class was the worst.

My debate club in high school was filled with either tin hat wearers or flat earthers.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
My debate club in high school was filled with either tin hat wearers or flat earthers.

TOPICALITY

Mine was just a bunch of nerds.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by bradulator
TOPICALITY

Mine was just a bunch of nerds.

I would rather sit in a class with nerds than tin hatters spewing how George Bush was involved in the moon landing conspiracy.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm