Recently, I purchased a Paul Reed Smith Studio a while back. It plays like a dream, and sounds like heaven. The only flaw with it is the tuning. I learned quickly that if you tune down on the guitar, the other strings will go sharp, and vice versa if you tune up. I've already debugged the tuners as not being the problem, so the only thing that could cause this is the bridge. It's the typical PRS style patented floating bridge with the detachable whammy. I was wondering if there was a way to adjust the bridge so this issue wouldn't occur.
I'm not an expert (which is sad because I have a DJ-600 which has a double locking floating trem), but my understanding is this is the very point and problem with floating bridges--they're never fixed to the guitar, meaning the only tension coming against the bridge other than the strings is provided by springs in the back of the guitar. The problem is that anytime you change the tuning, it will change the tuning of all the other strings (because the tension provided by that one string changes, meaning all the other strings and the springs in the back of the guitar actually change as well), but the benefit is that once you get it set, it isn't supposed to change. This may just be the case with locking floating trems. The other benefit is with a fixed tail bridge, you cant whammy (or you could only do so in one pitch direction), because there's no cavity or give when it's affixed to the body of the guitar, so the presence of springs allow you to do that--flex the whammy bar both ways.

As far as "correcting" it, I'm not sure there's anything you can do, as that's the intended design of the bridge. Depending on the accessibility of the spring cavity, you may be able to place a wood block in there underneath the bridge, preventing it from flexing into the guitar (I know this is what people do to maintain the position of the bridge when changing strings, so it may work for you, I don't know). Other than that, you may have wanted a different bridge?
Washburn WI66 Pro E Celtic Cross (1 of 48!)
Washburn WI66 Pro Honeyburst
Takamine EG334SC Acoustic-Electric
Peavey XXX 120W All Tube Half Stack
Line6 MM4/FM4/DL4
Boss NS2
Vox Snakecharmer Compressor
Digitech XP100 Whammy Wah
Last edited by MadMudgeN at Apr 1, 2012,
I'm able to tune to drop d from standard on my paul allender sig without the other strings going out of pitch. Or if they do it's not even a twitch on my tuner.
You could set up the guitar so that the bridge isn't floating and is sitting flat against the body of the guitar and maybe tighten the springs and put a bit more tension on the bridge. Should give you some better tuning stability with drop tuning.
Quote by MortifiedLizard
recently I turned it into an Esquire that impregnates unsuspecting people with my children whenever I play it.

Quote by Duv
The only good thing about my MG30 was I was able to have it in my room for 5 years solely as a place to hide cigarettes and condoms.
My best suggestion would be to register over at www.BirdsAndMoons.com and ask the question there. Someone will have an answer. I owned a Studio for a few weeks and was blown away by the tuning stability of the trem. The only reason I no longer have it is that I decided to upgrade it to a Signature Limited, also with a trem. I was a die-hard stop tail owner up until now. Wish I had some advice for you to fix it.
that's not unique to PRS. that's pretty much every strat trem as well, which is the bridge the prs is basically a hot rodd'd version of.

i'm able to go from DADGAD to E standard without too much of an issue but i'm not playing the higher registers much in dadgad to notice. if it's that much of a problem for you set the intonation for the tuning you use most on that guitar and use another guitar for the tunings you use less often.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.