So basically im making this thread out of curiosity. I know there are alot of variables that can lead to it, (bad tuners, old strings, bent necks etc)..but i'm curious as to what the largest cause of tuning issues for guitars is, or an order of things to check for.

Soon as i know i'm running through the checklist on all of my guitars cheers guys.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
Largest causes of tuning issues? I think that for a lot of people the tuners slipping is probably the biggest cause. Or maybe the tuner staying in position but the actual string slipping through the tuner if the guitar wasn't strung properly. Other than that (Likely even more so than that actually) I'd guess that a floating tremelo that wasn't setup properly is the biggest cause of tuning problems. Rapid change in humidity and temperature can also cause a guitar to go out of tune pretty fast.
One thing that used to plague me in my early days was not stretching my strings!
Quote by Trowzaa
Why do you and your mates all drive old vehicles?
Please say you've got mates with old ambulances and fire engines too. That'd be brilliant.
Not stringing it correctly
Stuck in the nut
Not stretching

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Stuck in the nut
Not stretching

+1

I would say it's usually the tuners less often. I don't really have a problem with any tuners even on cheap guitars, it's usually the nut, usually a bit of lubricating with graphite cures it.
Strings that weren't stretched
Poorly set up trem (if equipped with one)
Incorrectly strung at the tuners (locking tuners are a sales gimmick )
Binding in the nut
Loose tuners
Cheap tuners

In that order.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
strings not stretched
strings slipping on the tuners
tuner backlash
worn out tuners/crappy tuners
sticky nut
ancient strings
bad trem set-up (if applicable)
lack of knowledge by the user (causing any of the above or more!)
environmental factors (heat, humidity)
flimsy neck design (old sg's in particular have such flexible necks, they can be hard to tune)
CRAPPY TUNERS!!! some of the tuners I've seen cause otherwise good guitars to seem to have tuning issues. I mean that little electric tuner, not machine heads
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Stuck in the nut
Not stretching

This. ^^^

Bad tuners (machines) are seldom the problem. Better tuners will make it easier to get your guitar in tune, but even cheap tuners hold once there. Don't believe me? Take a Vice-grip, clamp it on the tuner post and try to turn it... you can't... you'll break it off before it slips.... they don't slip unless they have completely failed, which is quite rare, and when they do, you won't be able to tune the guitar at all.

If you have tuners that turn hard or rough, work some WD-40 or other lubricant into it. For sealed tuners, let it run down the post into the mechanism and work it in by turning until the post makes at least a complete turn.
The main cause is friends "tuning your guitar for you"
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by krehzeekid

A.ancient strings
bad trem set-up (if applicable)
lack of knowledge by the user (causing any of the above or more!)
environmental factors (heat, humidity)
B.flimsy neck design (old sg's in particular have such flexible necks, they can be hard to tune)
C.CRAPPY TUNERS!!! some of the tuners I've seen cause otherwise good guitars to seem to have tuning issues. I mean that little electric tuner, not machine heads

A. I've got an early 90s RG550 that I haven't changed strings on since my freshman year of high school (2003). It still holds tune perfectly fine

B. Sort of, the problem with SGs is their shallow neck pocket and over time they pull upwards outta the pocket. I know because I've reset the neck on a few older SGs. Sometime in the mid 70s (I think) Gibson figured out what a tenon really was and they fixed the problem somewhat.

C. +1, get yourself a decent chromatic tuner (with variable calibration, usually you want a 440hz reference though), some of the cheaper chromatic ones don't refresh fast enough and end up 'sticking' a few cents away from actual pitch.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Apr 2, 2012,
Quote by troyofyort
One thing that used to plague me in my early days was not stretching my strings!

This. And a bad nut. All of mine are Graphtech or micarta, so that problem isn't for me.
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Also, temperature. If it's hot then the strings will expand and their pitch will go down.
My Current Gear
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded (Cherry Burst) || Gibson Les Paul Junior (Vintage Sunburst)
Marshall 1987X and 1960AX || Weber Mass 100
Fulltone OCD pedal || Ibanez TS-9 tube screamer || Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker || Boss AC2
Tuners slipping, bad nut, warping neck, bad bridge, bad bridge setup, old strings, new strings not being properly stretched and broken in, gremlins sneaking into your house moving the tuning pegs.