So for those of you who are unfamiliar with this particular bassist,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8e8qXxwDu8

He plays slap like victor wooten but in my opinion i think at least this song has a style i like more :P
He grew up in the same city i guess as them and he learned all his stuff from reggie wooten.
There was me and one other guy he was teaching, worked more on slap with me and tapping for him, but we both could do them both and he still was showing us both.
He recently joined the faceless \m/ and they were in the metal alliance tour that came through my neck of the woods on march 28th

It was such a good opportunity to pick his mind and really kind of adopt some of his mentalities and just the way he goes about thinking about things lol

Some things i got out of it id like to pass on from him to you all,

-never leave a skill or technique behind, actually use everything you have learned

-make sure that everything you can do fast you can do slow. Alot of the faster slap technique used in the song above are actually easier to do them super fast in a blur.
your playing will be much much much cleaner if you can control it at any speed.

-when you practice incorporate more then just the main exercise, like in example c
this exercise is meant to practice the open hammer pluck technique, but practiced in keyaccording to the decending chord harmony.

-dont ever say youll never be able to play something, anything will eventually click after enough practice and hand conditioning, and you will eventually be able to play it if you dont stop trying to.

And my slap technique since then has just improved so much, with the double thumping i can finally actually do it.

Here are some exercises that he showed us that are meant to be learned then expanded upon and developed yourself, they are what got him to what he is doing today (which is crazier then he looks in the videos) lol

The numbers below are the scale degrees.
i=index finger
m-middle finger
r=ring finger
L=left hand
R=right hand

Taps

Example a (Eminor9)
i r i m i r r i
L L R R L L R R
G|-------12--------------------------12----------------
D|----------------------14------------------16--------
A|--------------14---------------------------------14--
E|--12------------------------12----------------------
1 11 5 8 1 11 9 5

example b (Dminor9)
i r r i r r i m
L L R R L L R R
G|-------10-------------------10-----------------------
D|--------------14-------------------14-----------12--
A|----------------------12------------------12---------
E|--10--------------------------------------------------
1 11 9 5 11 9 5 9

Slap (open hammer pluck technique)

Example c
s p s p s p s p s p s p
G|----------12---------12---------11----------11---------9---------9------
D|---------------0h14------------------0h12-----------------0h10---------
A|---0h14------------------0h12-------------------0h10-----------------
E|----------------------------------------------------------------------------

like i mentioned earlier, practicing more then one thing.
See the chords there (Eminor, Dmajor,Cmajor)

Example d
This exercise uses the "hammer out of no where" technique,, this is a hammer on with out hitting a note before it, Then a down strike with the thumb and immediatley hits the same note coming up with the thumb. Its done over an E7 in second inversion (major3rd at the base) this can also easily be done with a pick.

G|----------------------------------------------------h7-7--h9-9------
D|------------------------------------h6-6---h9-9---------------------
A|--------------------h5-5---h7-7-------------------------------------
E|----h4-4--h7-7-----------------------------------------------------
3 5 7 1 3 5 7 8

All of these techniques are just starting points, do your own thing with the patterns and throw them all over your neck.

here is a video from the man himself explaining some other slap riffs from the song at the top of the page.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEgkdBDg-ik&feature=relmfu

Anywho i just wanted to share with you guys!
hope you guys get something out of it

Let me know what you think.

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Last edited by Narcotics at Apr 1, 2012,
So the guides above and below the tabs dont line up but they are in the same order.

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

These look (at first glance) like quite simple exercises, but after trying a few they are a little tricky.
Great post Narcotics, I'm going to enjoy getting these down and playing around with them.
thanks, yes they are very starter kind of things but they have many good applications and variations

definately forgot how to do that :P