Hey guys,

I'm just starting out home recording, I need some help with what to buy & setting up.

I'll be miccing my amp, and I looked up a bit and it seems the Shure SM57 is a good place to start out.

But once I buy that I'm not sure where to go from there. Does it come with a wire that connects it into a PC? Or do you plug it into something else and then onto a PC?

If it doesn't come with a cable, what is the type of cable called?

Really need help on how I can record the sound onto my PC.

Thanks, all help is appreciated
If you want to record on PC the proper way, you will want some form of audio interface (a box containing mic pre's and a/d converters) to go between the mic and the computer. You will also need an XLR cable for the mic, to connect it to the interface, and the rest will come with the interface typically, but in a worst case scenario you just need a USB or FireWire cable, depending on the type of interface you choose.

Ask away with questions that will now have sprung into your mind, but really you should look at the Recording FAQ thread stickied at the top of this forum instead.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Thanks for the reply Goliath. Saw that as more of a discussion (stickied thread) rather than an FAQ.

For this 'audio interface box', is there a popular good one that someone starting out with this stuff should buy (not too expensive)?

Thanks.
As well as looking at that, you should also look at using a multitracker as your DAW. It's an alternative to using your PC, and can often be the better option for someone just wanting to be able to have a good quality home recording setup.

They do pretty much everything that software can, are easier to get to grips with and provide you with a full start to finish solution in a single purpose built unit. Most included drum/bass sequencers as well.

Setting yourself up to use software can be a cheaper way to get started, but it will also require a lot more work. It's the main option if you want to get into recording seriously as a potential career, or if you think you'll need to use a lot of virtual instrumentation besides drums/bass.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Thanks for the reply Gary.
Could someone make perhaps a list of the things I need and what a good option of the thing is?

Thanks again
For a basic setup, there are only a few main things:

1 - the DAW (Digital Audio Workstation)
Like I said, there are two main options for this - either a multitracker, or an interface to hook up to your PC. For multitrackers, the main brands to look at are Tascam, Fostex, Boss, Yamaha and Zoom. For software, Reaper is generally considered to be the best option and it can be used for free, for the interface there are lots of threads here discussing which is a good option for someone to get.

2 - headphones/monitors
Depending on your budget & the quality you need, this could be anything from a standard set of headphones or PC speakers right through to professional studio monitors & headphones. To get started the basics would be OK, but you'll very quickly find they're holding you back so you'll need some reasonable quality monitors or headphones eventually. I use some Phillips headphones (can't remember the model off the top of my head) which are pretty good and weren't too expensive.

3 - a microphone
You won't go far wrong with the Shure SM57 you mentioned in your original post.
This could be considered optional, as you'll be able to run directly from your amp's line out into whatever DAW you choose. You'll get better quality more easily with a mic as you'll get the sound of the cab as well as the amp itself, although most DAWs will have amp & cab simulators included (for software they are often downloadable plugins) that you could use instead.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Thanks man. When recording, how loud should it be set (my ac30 has a master). Should I just set it to a normal level, or should it be boosted really loud?
Set the amp at the volume that gives you the tone you're looking for, then set the recording input level so there isn't any clipping.

There are no rules - experimentation is what it's all about
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Thanks for your help dude!

Just have one last question.

You said theres lots of threads around here talking about a decent interface to purchase, could you point me to one fo those? Also any video or complete guide on how to set up your interface, audio interfaces are USB connected to PC aren't they? I had a look on the Allans Music website and there are many interfaces "Line 6 Pod Series" and the "M-Audio" fast track series.

Thanks again Gary!
Last edited by Volcz at Apr 4, 2012,
Here's a couple of random threads asking the question:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1527030
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1529423
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1529973
(There are also a number of threads discussing this in the gear & accessories forum).

This is also worth looking at:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1282549

For tutorial videos, once you've decided which interface to get, just go to youtube and search for one specific to that kit. There's bound to be loads
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Thanks Gary!

Have you had any personal experience with the M-Audio Fast Track Pro, M-Audio Fast Track (USB2) and Line 6 UX1 Pod Studio

Last edited by Volcz at Apr 4, 2012,
No, I'm afraid not - I prefer to use a purpose built multitracker as my DAW. I know those interfaces are often discussed in these forums though, so hopefully one of the other guys will step in with some advice specific to those units.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud