I would like to know what you consider the pros and cons of the CAGED system.

I know that the goal of it is to teach you a large amount of chords using a simple system but what about all of the sus chords, add chords, m7, dom7, etc types of chords...is that all covered in the caged system?

I do not know if I should spend time trying to learn the system. I mean, what is the point of it if say, you know how to pinpoint any type of interval on the neck of the guitar...you can just construct any chord you want without the system can't you?
It's faster than constructing yourself, because you can easily visualize any chord shape anywhere on the neck.
Quote by iidunno
I would like to know what you consider the pros and cons of the CAGED system.

I know that the goal of it is to teach you a large amount of chords using a simple system but what about all of the sus chords, add chords, m7, dom7, etc types of chords...is that all covered in the caged system?

I do not know if I should spend time trying to learn the system. I mean, what is the point of it if say, you know how to pinpoint any type of interval on the neck of the guitar...you can just construct any chord you want without the system can't you?

I tend to agree with you.

My Take on the PROS - It's far better than the Pentatonic Box system because it does include chords integrated with the scale patterns. Joe Pass came up with it. It's the best that most people have.

CONS - It takes a while to understand, and I don't think ultimately it gives total freedom visually without a lot of work to put into it. Ultimately I find it very, very limiting.

This is where I acknowledge bias to the way I teach these things (Fretboard Navigation, Chord Theory), which ultimately encompasses, and then transcends the CAGED system. But for most people, the CAGED system is the closest they will ever get to freely playing the guitar and navigating across it.

Best,

Sean
To find suspensions, just learn which notes change.
And then you adjust your fingering to it, I do that too.
It's a really nifty system especially if you know which notes are in a chord.
Quote by nosuchmanasmole
cons ?

its not hard to understand at all , and its only limiting if that all you rely on

That's called a pro, lol.
Quote by nosuchmanasmole
its not called being a pro its a really simple theory just think of it as a moveable nut

It's a pro because it makes the system more appealing...
Would you pick something that is 20 times as hard to understand or something that is easily understood?