Hi guys... Im in the middle of saving up for a better amp. My current amp is the one that comes with my guitar package (an Ibanez starter). Im still not good in playing the instrument but I want to improve and also wanted to have a better gear. I guess the right to upgrade first is my amp before the guitar. I've been reading reviewson different amp in the past and right now Im into buying a Peavey Vypyr.

Before I'm set into buying the 30W version and the Sanpera pedal. But lately Im having 2nd thoughts, I live here in the philippines, earning only $8 a day and currently on a temporary job only (will only last for 5 months if Im lucky). Because of that I guess I need to be more practical. The Vypyr 30 cost $245 and the Sanpera I cost $115 for a total of $360 (or I can buy the pedal later), on the other hand, The Vypyr 15 cost $155.

I would like to ask you guys with that price, which of those options is more practical? Buying the vypyr30 + the sanpera will cost me my entire earnings from my job (minus my daily cost of living). Buying the vypyr30 is reasonable enough for me, I'll just save up for the pedal if I'll be lucky t get another job after this one Im currently in. Or buying the vypyr15 which will cost me $90 less vs the vypyr30 and I can buy this sooner though I wont have the options to have more effects and the pedal.
The Vyper 30 has an effects loop, a footswitch control provision, and twice as much power. The Vypre 15 is a practice amp, as it doesn't have those features. The 30 also has a bigger speaker, and hence a better bottom end.

They're both decent modeling type amps, you'd be able to do a bunch more with the 30. It costs twice as much, you tell me, is it worth it to you?
Yes the cost of the vypyr 30 to me seems worth it... Im just having second thoughts because to buy that, I really need to squeeze my budget. Right now Im really aiming for the vypyr 30 and thinking to buy the pedal at a later time. For now I guess the vypyr 15 is more than enough for me but I dont know for how long, If i'll be getting the 30 I guess it will serve me well for more years to come. What set me off from the 15W is also the price, though it will cost me less but unlike there in the USA, it cost more here. If it also cost 100 bucks, I guess it's a steal and I'll get it and just sell it later if the need to upgrade arise... Seems like my options now is $90 less and getting it sooner for the 15, or $90 more for more features (FX, speaker, & pedal) but will take me longer to get it... Can't decide yet...
I'd go with the vypyr30.
Just in case you wanna start jamming later on or even having a band, you'd have problems with the 15W version to be as loud as the drums.
The 30W can keep up with the drums easily.
So that's why I'd recommend the 30W version not only because of the extra features.
If you go with the 15W version you probably will have to buy a new amp again in a few years/month.
Are you going to be playing with a live band? If not, what's the need for the footswitch/30watt? Trust me, the 15 watt is good enough if you're planning on playing at home. If your plans aren't to gig yet, you'd be better off saving that money towards a better amplifier once it came time for you to get a band together etc.

If you're already playing with a band then I guess the 30's ok, otherwise I'd save the money towards a better amplifier in the future, chances are if you had the 30, you'd end up selling it at a loss in the future, the 15W can always be your practice amp
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Quote by megano28
Are you going to be playing with a live band? If not, what's the need for the footswitch/30watt? Trust me, the 15 watt is good enough if you're planning on playing at home. If your plans aren't to gig yet, you'd be better off saving that money towards a better amplifier once it came time for you to get a band together etc.
Off the top of my head, I'd say the point of the foot switch, is to employ the amps FX, without stopping what you're doing, and dialing them in on the front panel. IMO, that works for practice, as well as performance. In fact, if someone is eyeing up joining a band, it's good practice to know what effects you're going to use, when you'rer going to use tham, and seamlessly activate them with a pedal
Quote by megano28
If you're already playing with a band then I guess the 30's ok, otherwise I'd save the money towards a better amplifier in the future, chances are if you had the 30, you'd end up selling it at a loss in the future, the 15W can always be your practice amp
"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". Almost everything sells at a loss. A Vypre 30 is as good a practice amp as any. We're sure, "more money" will be available in the future, why exactly?

BTW, Is it alright if I take a break from growing up to discuss this?

Is this the right time and place for it?
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 1, 2012,
30 all the way. I'd say skip the Sanpera, you aren't going to be gigging with this anyways.

10" speaker kicks buttah
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Captaincranky
Off the top of my head, I'd say the point of the foot switch, is to employ the amps FX, without stopping what you're doing, and dialing them in on the front panel. IMO, that works for practice, as well as performance. In fact, if someone is eyeing up joining a band, it's good practice to know what effects you're going to use, when you'rer going to use tham, and seamlessly activate them with a pedal
"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush". Almost everything sells at a loss. A Vypre 30 is as good a practice amp as any. We're sure, "more money" will be available in the future, why exactly?

BTW, Is it alright if I take a break from growing up to discuss this?

Is this the right time and place for it?

I asked TS, if you made your own thread asking for advice, you'd get an actual response back. That was probably the worst application of "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" as there is no conceivable risk in anything I advised, something that saying is meant to tackle.

The irony is, I told you to grow up because I had an idea you'd be one to make things about you and not about the needs of the TS
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Quote by megano28

The irony is, I told you to grow up because I had an idea you'd be one to make things about you and not about the needs of the TS
Which is exactly what I've done in this thread. You and I just don't happen to be quite in accord.

Let's see if I can explain a bit about finances to you. TS doesn't have the money quite yet, for the Vypre 30. Your way, he buys 2 amps, one how, and one later. But it also anticipates that his financial situation improves in the future. Ain't necessarily so.

@ TS: Buy the Vyper 30, the bass lover in you will be glad you did. Besides, with the extended lower bass, you get a better fix on what your tone will be if and when, you reach the live performance phase.

Back @ you: I'll amend my analog to a point where it should be understandable to you, and appropriate to the topic.

"An amplifier in the hand, is worth 2 in some future fantasy or possible future state of financial well being". And yeah, foot control is something you can definitely use, even in practice.

Of course, you could always buy the Vypre 15, and a $500.00 dollar effects chain, that'll work.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 1, 2012,
The 30, no contest. The 15 is a toy. The 30 is an actual amp.

30 has 12" speaker (most important thing, sounds way, way better than the 8" speaker in the 15), an extra FX knob, Sanpera capability, USB. More than enough to justify the extra cost.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I had the 30 for awhile. I kinda miss it. Sounded much better than my HRD's drive channel.
Thanks for the reply guys, this is the kind of response that I'm looking for, it really helps me to weight both of those amps...

As of now I don't have a band and doesn't plan to seriously gig yet though I've been jamming with my friends, we started a band before but due to busy schedules, it didn't lasts... Also the music scene here in our area is more into hip hop thus gigs here are rare nowadays (unlike in my high school days)...

I made up my mind and I'll go with the vypyr 30, I guess theres no need to rush the sanpera, having a good amp now that is more than enough for me is what Im looking for... Also I need an amp that can serve me many years to come... It's impossible to predict my future financial state, I just have started my career with a temporary job, I dont know if I will be lucky to stay permanently in my job or get a new job after my contract end thats why every cents counts for me because after buying, Im sure like it or not, I have to stay with my choice for a long time...
Quote by Offworld92

30 has 12" speaker (most important thing, sounds way, way better than the 8" speaker in the 15), an extra FX knob, Sanpera capability, USB. More than enough to justify the extra cost.

USB is on the 75W not 30W, it's the main reason I went for the 75W so I can record in relative silence despite it being far too big for what I needed lol. Ok it isn't like listening to the speaker but it's still a very good workable signal for home recording and much easier, saves setting up mics etc if you're into that kind of thing
Quote by Offworld92

So true, I have a vypyr 15 and its very weak once you use any amount of volume. The 30 is a much better choice if you dont want to buy an amp for a while.
Quote by bluestratplayer
Im going to initial the back of every MG in guitarcenter "ZW" and see how many threads come out thinking Zakk Wylde owned thier amp.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Just me and rhino will end in the extinction of a species.
I really like my Vypyr 15 a lot, it is my first amp, and it was a freebie too. However when it comes to playing with other musicians I am instantly drowned out. I like how when I am alone or with one other guitar I can experiment with the huge assortment of effects. I really wish I had the foot switch capabilities, as well as a decent amount of power.

Living with financial constraints is tough and you have to consider price vs value vs reality. I think there is a lot of value in both amps. The 15 will be a good practice amp forever, and you will have more money to get by on while you are in a temporary job situation. The 30 will suit your needs if you play with others (for a while...), unlike the 15.
Epiphone - Hummingbird
Fender/Squire - Telecaster (Standard)
Dean - Acoustic Flying V
Wasburn - HB30
Fender - Telecousic
Peavey -VYPYR15