I'm developing this habit where I rest the side of my hand(the fleshy part) over the bridge while I'm soloing.. I'm not attempting to palm mute btw since my hand rests exactly over the bridge and not over the strings near the bridge.

Question is, is this a bad idea rather than having your hand floating above the strings while picking and otherwise not anchored?
Excellent question! i've been asking myself this question for quite a while now ... if i have any clue regarding this 'hybrid' anchoring style of playing, i eventually realized that in my case, it was somehow a natural transition form pinky-anchored type of picking, to the floating hand (i think it's called) playing. another personal aspect is that i kinda have my pinky sitting now straight & stiff as a probable result of previous anchoring, while the side of my hand i use for mutting strings is now gently resting on the bridge (fixed TOM, floyd can be quite a challange in this case) or sometimes it's gliding just above the surface of the bridge.
That's pretty much all i can tell you on this issue, i hope someone with a more broad experience will tell the exact way of "you're doing it wrong/right". Cheers!
The bottom line is, it's all what's comfortable to you.

If you're still reading, there's absolutely nothing wrong with anchoring when playing solo. In fact, a lot of the technique/theory books actually recommend it. My jazz instructor says you should be able to get to the point where you're not anchoring, but I disagree. Anchoring not only steadies the hand for playing solo, but it also can help provide a nice reference point. Again, if it feels comfortable and it works for you, then do it.
As long as you aren't playing with tension in your picking hand, anchoring is not a problem.
Quote by saphrax
Bit harsh I think! He comes back for the last 10 minutes against Roma, after being out all season, and you want him crippled again? You harsh wanker!

Aimed at me for saying I hope Gary Neville breaks all his limbs
I don't think that's an easy questions to answer. I have seem player float completely, float their hand but anchor the forearm, anchor on the the bridge, and use pinkies to anchor. John Petrucci anchors his pinky on the bottom of his pickup.

In short I think it largely do to personal preference (and the style of playing you are doing), but you could look at your favorite players and see what they do. But remember to keep your body in mind, for example I can't do the pinky on the pickup method, because my pinkies are really short.

When you find a picking method that will work for you will you know because it will feel good, so seeing what your favorites do shouldn't take much time.
Want Sub-Forums For GB&C, CLICK and Comment to Help the Right People Notice.
Quote by Gabbb
(the fleshy part) ?

Is all of your hand not fleshy?

Anyway, I don't see anything wrong with it.
Quote by GuitarGod_92
when I die of a brain aneurysm I want it on record that its the film threads fault

Quote by GuitarGod_92
Movies are all bad every last one of them

Quote by yope
Fungus has a right to exist. It's a valid life form.
I'm surprised noone has adviced against it... Well, I will. While it's true that if your picking hand is relaxed when anchoring there is no problem, but I find it hard to believe that anyone would find an relaxed position for playing with the palm on the bridge. And even if it is found, I'd guess that the process of relaxing your hand in that position would be much slower than when floating.

Also, when picking there is some small rotation of the forearm (especially when string skipping) and anchoring won't let that movement be free and this will also create tension, and very possibly an injury later on.

And if your hand is going down from the wrist too much (while playing, to the direction of the pinky) then this will put pressure on a nerve and again, possible injury.

And if you're only starting to develop the habit, then I'd say why not fix it? As it will probably be much faster now than later. But if you continue to do it, at least be VERY aware of the tension in your arm, all the way up to the collarbone and the joint under your neck between the collarbones
Last edited by Unrelaxed at Apr 1, 2012,
Thanks for the answers, fck it I'm just gonna go with what feels right for now since majority says its personal preference. I'll experiment further of course and hopefully I can decide.
practice all different ways ways till you see whats best for you.
But this goes up to 11
If it causes unnecessary tension and limited movement, it's bad. If not, it should be fine.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Quote by LordPino
If it causes unnecessary tension and limited movement, it's bad. If not, it should be fine.

This. Best possible answer.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Gabbb
I'm developing this habit where I rest the side of my hand(the fleshy part) over the bridge while I'm soloing.. I'm not attempting to palm mute btw since my hand rests exactly over the bridge and not over the strings near the bridge.

Question is, is this a bad idea rather than having your hand floating above the strings while picking and otherwise not anchored?

I think Michael Angelo Batio does the floating thing whilst many others do the anchoring thing. Analyze very carefully what you are playing and make decisions based upon every musical situations need.