Sorry for a VS thread, but I'm after a nice six stringer to compliment my 7 (RG7621) and I've got it down to these two.

Basically, I don't have a lot of money to spend at the moment but I've been able to find people who're selling both the guitars cheaply. £350 for the Jackson, and £500 for the Ibanez. Both include a hardcase worth about £100.

Now I've been reading up on this forum, and people tend to say the Jackson has better stock pickups (nice but not a deciding factor, although I quite like the sound of the Duncans from what I've heard) and the Ibanez has a much better trem. I haven't had chance to play either guitar yet but I've played both pro series Jacksons before and prestige Ibanez guitars, and they seem pretty evenly matched. The neck difference doesn't really bother me and to be honest I quite like the fact the Jackson has a maple fretboard which differs from the rosewood on my 7621.

Tl;dr - Is it worth spending an extra £150 to get an RG2570z?

Bearing in mind although I know it's probably the better option due to the tremolo, I still really want to get the Jackson as it's pretty similar build quality (from what I've tried and seen), has a much more appealing look and feature set (the RG2570 is really similar to my 7621 which makes me think twice about getting it) and it means I don't have to bother upgrading the pickups.
Hang on a second, why not see if you can find a higher end Jackson for 500 pounds?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Well, the Jackson won't be available unless I buy in the next 24 hours or so, and at the moment I only have £350 saved up. I suppose my question really should have been is it worth paying £350 for a DK2M with the £100 hard case included.

I'd love to get a higher end Jackson for £500 but after the pro series as far as I know it's the USA made series, and I haven't seen any of them for anywhere near £500... Please correct me if I'm wrong though.

EDIT - Also, I was trying to find an Ibanez RG1527m for ages before I got my 7621 as I loved the white finish and maple fretboard, so the Jackson appeals to me because of that.
Last edited by Anon17 at Apr 1, 2012,
there are neck-thru MIJ jacksons which are better than the bolt-ons- better trems, and i think they're made a bit better, too. Not that there's anything wrong with the bolt-ons (i have one), but the trems are the weak link.

i'd probably try to stretch to the ibanez. though i haven't tried the new edge zero. And I've also been hearing the prestige ibanezes aren't as nice as they were (haven't tried them for a while).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ibanez's japanese guitars are higher quality then Japan Jacksons. Thats a fact. You can compare USA Jackson, but not these. So Ibanez also comes with a hard case, and a better one if you ask me, RG2570 is too high quality against it. That's worth it. Or you can buy an RG1570 for same price I guess. Before buying my RG1570(with dimarzio), I compared it with RG2570Z, I couldn't see a big quality difference. So it can be a nice idea to get 1570, but still I'd save for RG2570

Quote by Dave_Mc
there are neck-thru MIJ jacksons which are better than the bolt-ons- better trems, and i think they're made a bit better, too. Not that there's anything wrong with the bolt-ons (i have one), but the trems are the weak link.

i'd probably try to stretch to the ibanez. though i haven't tried the new edge zero. And I've also been hearing the prestige ibanezes aren't as nice as they were (haven't tried them for a while).

That one is for lower end models if you ask me. 2000+ series are still old ibanez, just with a new trem, which has better tuning stability actually.

And another idea: Used RG570 /550
Last edited by cemges at Apr 1, 2012,
Quote by cemges
Ibanez's japanese guitars are higher quality then Japan Jacksons. Thats a fact.

Really, I mean some of the Japanese Jacksons, particularly the pro series, are regarded to almost be on par with USA models.

The Ibanez's are great don't get me wrong, but to say that they're all better than MIJ Jackson's as a matter of fact sounds a bit ridiculous...
The problem is in the UK I rarely seem to find good deals on guitars like this despite checking ebay, craigslist and the ads here/on sevenstring etc... regularly. How much would these neck thru Jackson's be pricing at, at a guess?
^ thomann had the kv and ke for £700 not that long back, but i think they sold out

^^^ fwiw the sl3 i tried i thought was on par with prestige ibanez, or near as makes no difference. that was several years ago, though.

and i've heard that about prestige mij ibanezes, not just the cheaper ones
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
£500, roughly 750 USD is way more than I would pay for a Jackson DK2, especially considering I paid 999 USD for my DK1... though I do understand being in the UK makes this much harder for Jacksons and maybe Ibanez as well. There seems to be a white DK2M up right now:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jackson-Dinky-DK2M-Electric-Guitar-hard-case-/120887751173?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item1c2578b205

Also, I'm not very familiar with the Ibanez models, but for the Jacksons the licensed trems can be really hit or miss. Some are excellent and seem to play as well as an OFR, some others are kind of 'meh'. Does it need to be a DK2M? I might suggest a hard tail model:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jackson-DK2-Marble-Swirls-Made-Japan-MINT-/300683171929?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item46021d1859
Quote by cemges
Ibanez's japanese guitars are higher quality then Japan Jacksons. Thats a fact. You can compare USA Jackson, but not these. So Ibanez also comes with a hard case, and a better one if you ask me, RG2570 is too high quality against it. That's worth it. Or you can buy an RG1570 for same price I guess. Before buying my RG1570(with dimarzio), I compared it with RG2570Z, I couldn't see a big quality difference. So it can be a nice idea to get 1570, but still I'd save for RG2570

That one is for lower end models if you ask me. 2000+ series are still old ibanez, just with a new trem, which has better tuning stability actually.

And another idea: Used RG570 /550

Sorry for my bluntness, but I honestly think this is bullocks. USA Jacksons are J-Custom level. High end pro series (neck thru ones) are definatly on par with prestiges.

The time of those amazing quality for an amazingly fair price is over. Ibanez prices has gone up ofer the past 8 years and the quality has been dropping too. I know 2 persons that own older and newer high end prestiges, and they both say that the newer ones just don't play and sound and sing, vibrate, live, like the old ones. I think Ibanez' quality has gone down because of the raising demand and thus higher production rates (even from the higher end prestiges, heck, I would even say J-Custom quality has slightly dropped since the demand got higher).

Good idea. You can buy them for £300 if you're lucky. Either way they will never cost £500 and you'll have a very nice guitar. Another thought would be a Charvel model 5 or 6.

OT: Both guitars have their pros and contras. I never experienced any problems with my Jackson Licensed trem (JT-580) when I had my RR3, but I heard from other people that they had complaints. So that might indeed be the weak spot of the DK2M. On the other hand, the Ibanez has inferior pickups. An OFR may cost 200$ if you would want to replace the Jacksons trem if it would appear to be unstable, but a set of decent pickups for the Ibanez don't cost much less. Knowing that the Jackson costs only 70% of what the Ibanez costs, I would know what I'd choose.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Apr 2, 2012,
Quote by decadence5423
There seems to be a white DK2M up right now:

Haha, that's the one I'm bidding on - Hoping this won't cause a bidding war.

Does it need to be a DK2M? I might suggest a hard tail model:

I've looked at that model but it's the same price without a hard case and comes without a maple fretboard or white finish... I'll consider it but it seems like a bit a of a worse deal to the DK2m.

Also, after playing my friend's Japanese Jackson I'd say that the pro series line seem to be pretty on par with the prestige line, although admittedly I haven't played the very high end prestiges much (3xxx etc).
Quote by LP_CL
(a) Sorry for my bluntness, but I honestly think this is bullocks. USA Jacksons are J-Custom level. High end pro series (neck thru ones) are definatly on par with prestiges.

(b) The time of those amazing quality for an amazingly fair price is over. Ibanez prices has gone up ofer the past 8 years and the quality has been dropping too. I know 2 persons that own older and newer high end prestiges, and they both say that the newer ones just don't play and sound and sing, vibrate, live, like the old ones. I think Ibanez' quality has gone down because of the raising demand and thus higher production rates (even from the higher end prestiges, heck, I would even say J-Custom quality has slightly dropped since the demand got higher).

(c) OT: Both guitars have their pros and contras. I never experienced any problems with my Jackson Licensed trem (JT-580) when I had my RR3, but I heard from other people that they had complaints. So that might indeed be the weak spot of the DK2M. On the other hand, the Ibanez has inferior pickups. An OFR may cost 200$ if you would want to replace the Jacksons trem if it would appear to be unstable, but a set of decent pickups for the Ibanez don't cost much less. Knowing that the Jackson costs only 70% of what the Ibanez costs, I would know what I'd choose.

(a) agreed. or at least close enough that any differences might just be personal preference.

(b) i've heard that too but i haven't tried any recent ones

(c) what i would say, though, is that you only have a couple of choices regarding trem choice, and an almost limitless choice regarding pickups. In terms of good retrofit double locking trems you only really have the ofr, schaller and gotoh, and i guess the ibanez edge etc. (but they're not likely to fit anything else, so...). While the jackson has decent stock pickups, they might not be the ones you'd choose- you could easily end up upgrading the pickups in the jackson, too, as well as the trem. And that starts getting expensive

that being said you of course might not like the ibanez trem (in which case, time to start looking at a different guitar, lol).

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?