Hi there,
I've been wanting to order a custom made Carvin guitar, but I have one doubt:
if the guitar's price is 2000$, will I actually be paying that price?
I live in Italy, so I have to let the guitar be shipped from California to Ancona (only place in Italy with a Carvin dealer) and from there to Tuscany (where I live), so will I be paying a lot of shipping fees? And because I'm importing from the USA, will I also be paying value added tax? Because if so, I'll be paying more than 50% extra
I can't ask Carvin directly because my email won't work, so I ask you, UG forums!
Yep, as far as I know, you'll pay all that. Not sure about the exact prices, but I know it's at least a couple of hundred €.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
So would it be cheaper to let it ship to somebody in the US and then when he comes here let him bring it? You can always fake the fact that it's an importation and let the people think it's yours, so that you don't have to pay importation fees
Yeah, the cheapest way to get one is probably to get a US citizen to buy it, have him visit you and then buy the guitar from him. Not sure if the government approves of this, but it's cheaper.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Importing guitars from America to any EU country is always going to cost you an extra 20-70%. Usually it comes in at 30% or so; sometimes it can be a little less if you're lucky, someitmes it can be an awful lot more (especially if it ships in a hardcase which dramatically increases the weight of the package - and Carvins do ship in a hardcase).

Carvin don't actually let people in the EU order direct from them anyway though. They used to, but now you have to buy from a Carvin dealer. Go to the Carvin site and look up a dealer in your area. You then need to go to that shop and place your order with them; they will then place the order with Carvin for you. You won't have to pay any import fees, but you won't get the cheap price that Americans can get for buying directly from Carvin.

The only way to actually get a Carvin at its base price is to get a kind American to order and purchase the guitar for you, then bring it to you personally. Any other method will result in import fees, customs duty, etc.

There are many excellent luthiers in the EU, and even Italy. It will be much cheaper for you, and you will get a more personalised instrument, if you go to one of them instead of Carvin.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
There are many excellent luthiers in the EU, and even Italy.

Yup- though I respect Carvins greatly, if your country has big import taxes, you're far better off buying locally.

Indie, Ruokangas, JJ Guitars, Blackmachine, MacPherson, Guyton, Flaxwood, Vigier...the list goes on. Look at Italy's own Frudua, for example.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 1, 2012,
I had a problem like that - bought a US guitar ($NZD1100) and the shipping took a dump on me... Then there was the fee from Customs at 20%.
As for the importing I have no problems, I have a friend in San Diego who can pick the guitar up and bring it in some way or another to me, but, as you say, is it better to order from some luthier here in Italy? If so, who would you recommend? My budget is around 1500€ (roughly 2000$)
Well, I mentioned Frudua. I can't say their rep is better than Carvin, but I hear they're good. They're not that common here in the USA.

The ones they have in stock all seem to be under €1000, which means you could probably afford a customized one.

http://www.fruduadirectdeal.com/buy.html
http://www.fruduastore.com/frudua-c-1300_1334.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Apr 2, 2012,