I have a guitar with a Floyd Rose, and up until now haven't used it for more than to dive bomb the shit out of it, which admittedly is quite fun But the thing is, I want to become better at using it and to better integrate it into the stuff I do.. Any suggestions or songs I could try out, starting off simply? Some cool exercises would also be pretty rad.

Cheers!
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Well the question is... what kind of sounds do you want to get out of it?

However, recommended floyd-based listening is basically Matthias Eklundh and Steve Vai. Between them there isn't anything that has been done with a floyd that they can't do.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Well, I really want to get some stuff similar to Alexi Laiho's technique. I play a lot of metal, and when I think of vibrato it's all cool bends and heavy whammy usage like the solo to Children of Bodom. Iron Maiden are also up there on the list.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

just spend time experimenting. whammy sounds awful if you cant use it but with a little practice is awesome. i've only just started trying a few things with mine but only have standard trem looking to upgrade to a floyd
But this goes up to 11
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Well the question is... what kind of sounds do you want to get out of it?

However, recommended floyd-based listening is basically Matthias Eklundh and Steve Vai. Between them there isn't anything that has been done with a floyd that they can't do.

That's exactly who I was going to recommend.

Satch also does a few things with the bar. And there's always Motley Crue.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Try Brad Gillis from Night Ranger (assuming I have the right one), was given one of the original 3 Floyds, bases most of his solos on whammy stuff
Yep , I'm a fan of Alexi Laiho too! and I learnt something about floyd rose and that kind of stuff just looking at his video on youtube : "Alexi Laiho of Children of Bodom, Melodic Speed, Shred & Heavy Riffs " and listening to COB all the time, but honestly I think that floyd rose isn't for me, I prefer the classic bridge.
I have that dvd!
Quote by luxeion

lots of judas priest stuff has pretty wicked floyd stuff in the solos, sometimes even in the riffs,
Learning the first half of the Big Trouble solo helped me get used to using the whammy for small, Vai-esque effects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-s2u0QcJO0
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
a real fun thing i practice from time to time is something i picked up from a steve vai lesson on his sight. basicly it was using the bar to play melodies only holding one note and using the bar to alter the pitch. what this will help with is accuracy of being in tune with the pitches your trying to hit. you will have a tone of fun with this.
Sounds cool!
Quote by luxeion

The floyd vibrato that Alexi does is freakin awesome man. Easy to do as well, just grab the whammy with your fingers underneath the bar and then pull it up and let go very shortly afterwards. I use it a lot in the sorta stuff that I play, also check out the Herman Li video about different sounds on youtube. It's pretty awesome and it shows you how to use the whammy bar really well, plus the sounds which he makes with it are just fantastic.