Okay, I'm sorry for the last thread, I posted it and went away for a while and it was trainwreck. So here is a new one.

So I'm still wondering how to get a real good distortion sound. I have a JCM800 and the distortion isn't cutting it. For now, I've got an Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff which gives me more gain than I'll ever need, which is exactly what I want. However, I'm not sure if it's tone is good enough for gig volumes. So I was wondering what I could get for a good distortion sound on high volumes. I've already got a good overdrive pedal for general blues / classic rock tones, so I want something for a ripping metal tone, good enough for stuff like Pantera or Slayer. What do the pros use? Please no rack mounts though.
try running the metal muff on low gain but high level. it should allow the valves to work more and give you a better OD sound.

also check out some more powerful tube overdrive pedals
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Klon?
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
use an overdrive pedal (or even two) as a boost. no need for the pedal to be tube, that's what the tubes are in the amp for. gain low, level high.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?