I don't really know what its called or what to call it, but when I turn the volume knob on my amp, at some points, the amp has absolutely no sound coming out or less sound, this would even happen on places around 5 on my knob, which is very unusual. Does anyone know if theres something wrong with my amp? I've tried using another guitar, and another cable, same problem.
Tubes
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Do you guys think I should leave it alone?
I mean I rarely play at that setting, or would it get worse?
Take it to an amp tech and see what they say about it.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
If the volume is dropping out intermittently on the dial, chances are its a dirty pot. I had this EXACT same issue with one of my amps only last week; the pots had gummed up due to excessive crap from onstage fog machines getting inside the amp and congealing. Get yourself some contact cleaner, and blast the heck out of the back of the pot, twisting it fully back and forth to remove any built-up crud. Contact cleaner evaporates so don't be afraid to drench everything with it. Obviously, as this involves taking your amp apart, take all the necessary precautions to avoid electrical death or take it to a tech if you are unconfident.
What you shouldn't do is just leave it - your amp clearly has a fault and sticking your head in the sand and trying to ignore it will only result in the problem getting worse, especially if it's a dirty pot.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Last edited by jukejointjohnny at Apr 3, 2012,