Hey,

I've been the owned of a Peavey Vypyr 30 for about 8 months now. I bought one after wanting to upgrade from my POS Marshall MG10. At first, I thought it was awesome because it could do awesome metul tones, but over time, I've began to really not like the tone it gives. It's not that it's a bad amp, I just don't like how digital it sounds. What I think I really want is a nice, low watttube amp (Like a Blackstar HT-5). I really dislike how overdrive sounds, and the distortion can sound horribly digital at times.

I'm also getting pretty tired of having the amp lock up on me when I play. The amp also locks up when I use the wah on the sanpera.

Most of the problem is that I just want a nice amp I can plug into, and have a nice tone right away. I don't like having to piss around with loads of amp modeling options because it just seems like I'm using an amp that's trying to be something it's not. I also never use the effects.

As I said, it's not a bad amp, and I could certainly still use it for some time, but I'm considering selling it in the next few months in order to gather funds for a nice tube amp. I've heard my mate's HT5 and it sounds bloody fantastic, and pretty much nails the exact tones I want.

Should I stick with my vypyr, or should I sell it at some point in the future?
An ht5 isn't really much of an upgrade. I'd keep the vyper or aim a lil higher.
Definitely, if looking for a low watt tube amp check out, as you said the BlackStar HT-5, Marshall Class 5, Vox AC 4, they're all great
I consider the Vypyrs a practice amp basically but I do know some guys that have the tube versions and they gig with them and can get awesome tones. I paid $315 for my Vypyr 60 and I really like it. You can crank these up and they still sound good. Not so much with the smaller all ss vypyrs. Also, have you upgraded the firmware? That is supposed to fix the lock up problem. They sound a bit digital though.

Anyway, I know what you mean about maybe wanting an amp that is simple to use and plug and play basically. Nothing beats a simple all tube amp. That said, you didn't really give us much information on what your needs are. Maybe that is OK. Maybe you are just asking for opinions on if you should keep your amp or not. But only you will know that. We are just people on the internet.

If you want more amp help - then use this structure

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

But yeah, the Marshall Class 5, Fender Blues Jr, Bugera V22, are all good cheap low watt amps............but they won't do metal. If metal is your main objective then save save save.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Apr 1, 2012,
Have you updated the firmware on your Vypyr? That should solve the issues you're having.

If you think the Vypyr sounds too digital (which I disagree with, all things considered) , then I definitely would not be looking at Blackstar, of all things.

And +1 to 311 (312?)
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'm not really looking at new amps yet, but I would like a Steve Vai - ish kind of lead tone. Y'know, something nice and smooth. I play rock and metal, so I'd like a good distortion tone.

And yes, my Vypyr is the latest firmware (Checked with the holding the button to make the lights come on thing)

Examples of what I want:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jxH7hkToxI - why I was looking at a HT-5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otIREKwMFEQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3NNZfcrjeo

Budget is around £500 for a nice, low wattage tube amp. My guitar is a Fender Mustang Special.

Bearing in mind I'm not going to be buying anything for the next 3 months at least, I'm really just wanting to see what's out there in my budget.
Last edited by BigSmokeDawg at Apr 1, 2012,
A Peavey Classic 30 would probably be good for what you want.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Can you save up more, you should be in close range to a Carvin amp.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
sorry

I forgot to post the link to the structure I was talking about.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1387138

The HT5 is not an all tube amp and it will not do metal. It is my personal opinion that the only kind of metal that a low watt amp can do is thrashy doom type stuff and even then....not ideal. Metal thrives on a lot of wattage. Like 30+
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Apr 1, 2012,
Quote by ragingkitty
Can you save up more, you should be in close range to a Carvin amp.
He's in England (based on the £ symbol). Carvin's are more pricy over there.

For your budget you might be able to grab a Jet City JCA22h, which would probably suit you best since it has the Soldano Lead circuit for the preamp.
Massive bump going down right here.

I've decided to go for the HT5-R after playing it for a good number of hours in the shop. The amp sounded fantastic at bedroom levels, and it did EVERY tone I needed it to. I had so much fun playing it - the most I've had in absolutely ages

The lineout is also partly what sealed it for me. That's essential for me as I'll need it for late night practising and recording.

I would try a few more amps, but the only ones that my nearest guitar shop has in stock are all either modelling amps or big ass 100w heads which are totally impractical for me. However, I don't really see much point as the HT5 has impressed me so much.
Bottom line is that's all that really matters - if an amp gives you the sound that YOU want to hear.

Cheap modelling amps are a great introduction to guitar, but once you have an idea of the sound you want and you start to notice their limitations there's usually no going back...you either get a more conventional amp that can deliver what you want or you spend serious cash on some high-end modelling kit.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com