I'm between 25-35+ years old and I think they have it easier
10 5%
I'm between 25-35+ years old and I think they have it worse
2 1%
I'm between 25-35+ years old and I don't know
2 1%
Voters: 197.
Page 1 of 3
... than whatever generation of whatever time period.

On the surface it might seem like they have it so much easier: They got the internets in their cell phones, more streamlined education, information is easier accessed, crime is lower and travel is cheaper...

... on the other hand they've got so many things against them: They live in the age of distractions, gossip about them on the internet. They can get googled by employers who turn them down for work. They've got bigger pressure on them to perform well, and ideals from all over the world they can't live up to. They've inherited this poor economy and climate change that older generations created and job prospects aren't that good, especially for certain areas.

Today's youth don't seem to mind the surveillance culture either. They already share information freely and expose themselves on the internet (not like that, pervs) without thinking about it. I've seen studies on youths which said that an alarming number of them would not mind being in a dictatorship (up to 1/4th in some countries, wow).

Regarding exercise many studies have said that kids are just getting weaker and weaker. Weaker bones and all that jazz.

Now, would you say, that kids today have it easier or worse?
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Probably worse.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I think most of the problems you named are petty/inane compared to genuine hardships faced by past generations, with the exception of climate change. But we haven't seen the worst effects of that yet, and in most other regards I think life is constantly getting easier.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
It would be very difficult for any of us to be able to decide that as we will be biased by our own generations difficulties and other such things
WARUM TUT ES WEH, WENN ICH PINKLE?!
Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."

Quote by Axelfox
Disregard that,i suck cocks.
It's one in the same. We have our problems today and kids back in older generations had different problems. We learn to adapt to our current environment and everything evens out.
Quote by chev311e
It's one in the same. We have our problems today and kids back in older generations had different problems. We learn to adapt to our current environment and everything evens out.

+1
I would say easier. Especially in Western society, the only thing really asked of people is not to be an idiot, and unfortunately I am surrounded by people who can't even do this very basic thing.
I think kids become more self conscious and are forced to think critically at a younger age now. People are growing up faster
Quote by slash11896
I picked up my guitar this morning and started playing next thing i know i cant stop playing In the key of A, the first letter or her name, I ended up recording a whole song in A.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
Quote by chev311e

I'm pretty sure having to leave school and work in a coal mine or something in order to feed your family is an objectively worse problem than being gossiped about on Facebook.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Kensai

... on the other hand they've got so many things against them: They live in the age of distractions, gossip about them on the internet.

You stupid piece of shit, are you serious? I want to slap you across your ****ing brat head

Holy christ

I am saving this post

Forget starvation, forget freezing winters, forget wartorn countries, forget plagues, forget droughts and floods, forget no anaesthesia, forget no vaccination; WE ARE IN THE AGE OF DISTRACTIONS AND INTERNET GOSSIP

THE ****ING HORROR

Stupid ****ing brat jesus christ
Quote by DJ Safari
You stupid piece of shit, are you serious? I want to slap you across your ****ing brat head

Holy christ

I am saving this post

Forget starvation, forget freezing winters, forget wartorn countries, forget plagues, forget droughts and floods, forget no anaesthesia, forget no vaccination; WE ARE IN THE AGE OF DISTRACTIONS AND INTERNET GOSSIP

THE ****ING HORROR

Natural disasters always happen, wars always happen the only things that are specific to the current generation is the abundance of media in their faces and maybe terrorism?
SMILE!
I would say that in some respects we have it easier, and in some respects we have it harder. I wasn't around back then though, obviously, so I wouldn't really know
Quote by R. Shackleford.
Glad to see the sex king getting some action I think it might be time for me to pull him out again tonight and take him for a spin around the rift.
Quote by DJ Safari

Holy christ

I am saving this post

THE ****ING HORROR

Ahem. Compared to kids in the same countries maybe 30 years before. 30 years ago the UK wasn't wartorn, plagued, freezing, dried or flooded. And we had the NHS. It would seem a little foolish to say that life now is harder than life in poor places/hundreds of years ago. Which is why he didn't.
Quote by slash11896
I picked up my guitar this morning and started playing next thing i know i cant stop playing In the key of A, the first letter or her name, I ended up recording a whole song in A.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
I like women with balls.
Quote by DJ Safari

Holy christ

I am saving this post

THE ****ING HORROR

y u so mad
Quote by DJ Safari

Holy christ

I am saving this post

THE ****ING HORROR

*reported

You're the absolute worst troll
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by chev311e

Of course every generation has problems, but they are of varying magnitude.

Quote by DJ Safari

Holy christ

I am saving this post

THE ****ING HORROR

*reported*, troll...
Quote by DJ Safari

Holy christ

I am saving this post

THE ****ING HORROR

Well I think my parents had it easier in school. We as student no longer have the excuse of not doing work or having the right resources. We have the Internet and adults seem to think there is absolutely everything on here. My parents just went to the library while we have the Internet. The expectation to do better has fallen on the younger generations because of the Internet.
We are doomed.
Quote by DJ Safari

Holy christ

I am saving this post

THE ****ING HORROR

Wow
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by ErikLensherr
I'm pretty sure having to leave school and work in a coal mine or something in order to feed your family is an objectively worse problem than being gossiped about on Facebook.

You have to think about it in relevant terms. Those kids back then didn't have fb, so they thought their problems of coal mines was just as bad as kids today thinking being gossiped on fb is. Obviously we have things to make life easier, but it's hard to compare how different generations thought about their problems.
Quote by ErikLensherr

Yes, and going to work in a coal mine was absolutely better than being sold off to slave traders who abused you sexually.

You can always find something worse in history, which is why the discussion point should lie at last century, or the latter half of it. My generation, and most of the western world, sure didn't work in any coal mines... unless you're counting minecraft.
They have it easier. Now with all these agencies around I can't even rape my children without going to jail. When I was little I just had to endure it all and sit on a sore bum for 8 years.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
They have it easier. Now with all these agencies around I can't even rape my children without going to jail. When I was little I just had to endure it all and sit on a sore bum for 8 years.

Your name and avatar suddenly make sense.
SMILE!
Yes, they have it easier, not because of the technology but rather because they're better informed than the previous generations. For example, you can call it recession this and that or whatever - doesn't matter, they were prepared for and expected it; we evidently were not.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Apr 1, 2012,
Quote by Mr.DeadDuck
Your name and avatar suddenly make sense.

How come?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
If we're talking about kids in America, I'd say they're off much worse than we were. (At least I was, I'm 21 now.)

They're exposed to a lot nowadays. Things used to be much simpler when I was a kid. Sure, I had video games and all, but I still preferred running outside and playing games and whatnot.

Actually, I would say the parents have it the hardest. They have to worry about giving their kids a quality education because going anywhere without college these days seems next to impossible. They have to worry about their kids health because its 10 times easier and cheaper to buy fast food every day, especially in smaller families. The kids that have it easy now, due to how their parents raise them, are going to have it hard eventually.
Quote by goingnowhere21
If we're talking about kids in America, I'd say they're off much worse than we were. (At least I was, I'm 21 now.)

They're exposed to a lot nowadays. Things used to be much simpler when I was a kid. Sure, I had video games and all, but I still preferred running outside and playing games and whatnot.

Wait... you are actually saying the children now are worse off because they CHOOSE not to go outside?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Some things are harder, some things are easier, and some things are the same.

When I was growing up in the 60's and 70's (I was born in 1960), jobs were easier to find.
Prices weren't so high, but wages were also lower.
You could buy a house for $10,000.

Information was harder to come by. No internet.
You wanted up to date info, you read a newspaper or watched the news.

Choices and options in every facet of life were fewer.

Less government regulation.

Fewer entertainment options. A pile of dirt, a bb gun, and some plastic army men were my main toys :

15 cents of gas would allow me to ride one of these all day :

And in my case, I was shoveling horse shit when I was 10 (My dad owned a horse boarding stables).

(I may add more stuff as a recall it in another post).
Last edited by CodeMonk at Apr 1, 2012,
I'd say on a minimal scale, kids are better off. Better healthcare, better technology, more safety (domestically, anyway).

But the world's a ****ed up place In the large scale, I don't think they're any better off than past generations. Wars, imminent wars, sucky global economy--not much to look forward to in that respect.

I'll abstain from voting for now. Probably indefinitely, unless I can make up my mind about "better" or "worse". I think you'd have to go over each issue individually to answer that honestly.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Last edited by eGraham at Apr 1, 2012,
We had a four class-long debate about this in Sociology, still didn't really come to a conclusion.
Quote by Soccerguy
We had a four class-long debate about this in Sociology, still didn't really come to a conclusion.

Sociology never does. Your methodology is highly flawed.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Wait... you are actually saying the children now are worse off because they CHOOSE not to go outside?

I don't think it's they choose not to go outside, obviously there are still kids who do the same activities that kids have been doing for ages. But, I think the norm is shifting towards staying inside. My friend has younger siblings, and they are literally always just sitting around the tv. Idk what the average is, but it seems to be shifting to inside games instead of exercising outside.
Quote by chev311e
You have to think about it in relevant terms. Those kids back then didn't have fb, so they thought their problems of coal mines was just as bad as kids today thinking being gossiped on fb is. Obviously we have things to make life easier, but it's hard to compare how different generations thought about their problems.

The terms I'm thinking of it in are: some adverse circumstances are plainly harder to overcome than others, and people in previous generations regularly dealt with worse circumstances than kids do today. If you're getting teased on Facebook, you log off. If you lack any economic opportunity because your family's poor and you're living in the midst of the Great Depression, you're being screwed in a concrete way.

If a kid today "thinks" of their Facebook problems as being just as bad, pin that on lack of perspective rather than their problems actually being comparable.

Quote by Kensai
Yes, and going to work in a coal mine was absolutely better than being sold off to slave traders who abused you sexually.

You can always find something worse in history, which is why the discussion point should lie at last century, or the latter half of it. My generation, and most of the western world, sure didn't work in any coal mines... unless you're counting minecraft.

You said whatever generation of whatever time period.

Damned liar.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Last edited by ErikLensherr at Apr 1, 2012,
Quote by CodeMonk
Some things are harder, some things are easier, and some things are the same.

When I was growing up in the 60's and 70's (I was born in 1960), jobs were easier to find.
Prices weren't so high, but wages were also lower.
You could buy a house for $10,000.

Information was harder to come by. No internet.
You wanted up to date info, you read a newspaper or watched the news.

Choices and options in every facet of life were fewer.

Less government regulation.

Fewer entertainment options. A pile of dirt, a bb gun, and some plastic army men were my main toys :
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/CodeMonk/armymen.jpg[/IMG

15 cents of gas would allow me to ride one of these all day :
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/CodeMonk/imagesqtbnANd9GcRREzLFNdnpaGrr3fqFGEEidQ4kRx1KDXTA9_Muqu-SYFEfL3tmUvsKYjusFg.jpg[/IMG

And in my case, I was shoveling horse shit when I was 10 (My dad owned a horse boarding stables).

(I may add more stuff as a recall it in another post).
Quote by Soccerguy
Quote by ErikLensherr
Last edited by Kensai at Apr 1, 2012,
Quote by chev311e
I don't think it's they choose not to go outside, obviously there are still kids who do the same activities that kids have been doing for ages. But, I think the norm is shifting towards staying inside. My friend has younger siblings, and they are literally always just sitting around the tv. Idk what the average is, but it seems to be shifting to inside games instead of exercising outside.

My little brother and sister do that too. No one is forcing them to. They choose to sit inside and play games. I would say that, that is the essence of having it easy.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
I can only really speak for my country, where, when I was very young, there was communism (more like a dictatorship really, not as bad as North Korea, but in the same ballpark). So kids today have it muuuuuuuuuuch much easier. The difference between then and now is enormous.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Page 1 of 3