Hey all!

Here recently, I've been working on my alternate picking, or rather, my picking altogether. I've noticed that when I go to fret a note, I, more or less, hammer on to the next note. If that doesn't make sense, it's like I try to kill a note when fretting it. I'm not necessarily pushing down really hard, I'm just going straight into fretting it and not really worrying about releasing the other fret I'm playing. So, the new note is already ringing a little when I pick it. This is ruining my playing, and I guess I really need the full story on how to fret, pick, and release a note. I play with .13 gauge strings also. Any help will be appreciated with this guys.

Thanks.
The real issue is synchronisation. Slow down and make sure you're fretting at the same time as you're picking; you'll probably have to slow down a lot to have that kind of control, which is a good thing. More control means you'll actually make progress.

You should also work on relaxing though, the more aggressively you fret the more tension you're creating in your hand which will hold you back. Again you'll need to slow down to get that kind of control but it's definitely something you should aim towards: just relax any muscles when you're not using them, it's both amazingly simple and infuriatingly hard though, I'll warn you now, hahaha!
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I knew synchronization would come up in this. That' what I was leaning more toward what the real problem was. Honestly I need to quit lying to myself, I have been having problems with syncing my hands here lately. I pick just a tad bit before I fret, and it makes this scratchy noise right before the note. That's what comes natural to me tho. I guess I should just let my fretting hand lead and follow with the picking hand, while keeping everything relaxed. Easier said than done. Any tips for this?
Quote by Danielghero
I knew synchronization would come up in this. That' what I was leaning more toward what the real problem was. Honestly I need to quit lying to myself, I have been having problems with syncing my hands here lately. I pick just a tad bit before I fret, and it makes this scratchy noise right before the note. That's what comes natural to me tho. I guess I should just let my fretting hand lead and follow with the picking hand, while keeping everything relaxed. Easier said than done. Any tips for this?

The scratchy noise is the noise of your pick coming in to contact with the strings. You can mitigate it a bit by having less of an angle on the pick, turning down the amp treble, rolling off a bit of the tone on your guitar, using less of the material of the pick to strike the strings, by using a softer attack in general or indeed any combination of those things.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
So I guess your saying I have a strong pick attack? I do hit the strings pretty hard. But what I've noticed, is that when I pick a note more "in sync" the sound isn't as noticeable..
i think zaphod gave the perfect advice, slow it down so that your hands are truly working together. it might take a bit to unlearn what you have programmed yourself to do incorrectly, but if you have patience, i'm certain within 20 minutes (or probably less) of slow focused picking (metronome at 60 bpm, or slower if you need to) you will see big improvements

once you are doing it right you can get enough sound without having to attack, which at times maybe you want, but this is not you intention right now

i really think its a synchronization thing, but have you ever played a note/chord on an acoustic, you having the same issues?

if you are having to strain your left hand (most likely due to technique inefficiency, and not finger strength, although a bit of both depending on how long you have played), while playing then that is something you could work on at the same time

also when you are releasing the note make sure you aren't pushing up/pushing down on the string, slow down the release until you don't ring and attempt to be coming up vertically, you don't have to take your finger all the way off the string to stop it from playing, you could be inadvertently pulling off

you will most likely have to unlearn some of what you know right now, and focus on the correct technique, in my experience you can't really go too slow when doing this, once you are able to consistently get the result, not really seeking perfection, you can speed things up a bit
I have been playing about all day and working on figuring out how to do it properly. I think I might have found what I need to do. About the acoustic, no..I don't really have the same problem, but it could be that I can't hear the noise while playing on a clean channel, so why could I hear it on an acoustic? I am taking it super slow right now. It's something that HAS to be fixed. It's like trying to run without knowing how to walk, not going to happen. Hopefully I'll get a lot of practice time in and truly work it out.