So I found a Peavey XXX on ebay. Its a half stack, but the Peavey cab has only one speaker that works. Yeah... He looking for $600 which isn't bad. I'd get a XXX head and a Peavey cab(which might suck) for $600. But in order to get the money for it, I'd have to sell my 5150 combo. Its a bit of a predicament. I love my 5150, but I've heard that XXX are wayyyy better in versatility.

Im not sure if I should sell my 5150 just to get this. I know the XXX head is worth the $600 but with a cab with only one good speaker...? Im not sure. So what would you guys do? I've always wanted a XXX because I have heard there better than my 5150 but Im not sure if its worth it because of the cab.

Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
I wouldnt say the XXX is better than the 5150. If you have never played it you run the risk of not liking it.

If you need to be convinced then stick to what you know you like. Do you need a halfstack, are you gigging?
I'd take a XXX over a 5150 in a heartbeat.
Just price some speakers and do the math. Easy enough to fit yourself, just price the drivers themselves.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
XXX is a lot brighter amp than a 5150, I wouldn't say either one is better than the other. Just a little different sound. And getting $600 for a 5150 combo is way on the high side, around here 5150/6505 combos go for around $400, give or take. They're a pain to sell through the internet too since shipping is a beast on those.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
I'd be selling the 5150 on craigslist. Also, if I were to sell my 5150 and get the XXX and I didnt like it, wouldnt I be able to sell the XXX and get more than it was worth? A 5150 is worth, maybe, $600 tops. A XXX head is worth more( I think) and if I had the XXX cab with all working speakers, that might be worth some good change.
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
Peavey cabs don't bring a whole lot man, $200 tops if you're lucky with stock speakers. XXX heads bring around $600 (I think) and 5150 combos are $400ish. 5150 heads bring around $700
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

You need to play an xxx. the cleans are way better than the 5150, but as far as cleans go, they are still only ok. it will still be more versatile than the 5150. both are great for metal and hardcore.
Quote by Fryderyczek
Having a shitty amp and getting a distortion pedal is like putting a band aid on cancer

for music without words I help make: Listen Earth
okay, the main difference between the XXX and 5150/6505 is that the XXX is a lot more "trebly" than the bassier 5150.

its all sonic preference - but then, peavey cabs are cheapish, so its all up to you sonically.
personally, i'd take a 5150 212 over an xxx anyday. up to you man, and, until you try his exact amp, you cant do that.
Well, I don't know about "his exact amp". Who doesn't play with new tubes when they buy a new amp? His may sound bleh atm, doesn't mean a lot with a used tube amp. You gotta load it up with your choice of tubes before you can really pass judgement.
I'd say just go try one that you can get to play. It really is a personal preference. I prefer the XXX but that's just me - and what would I know? I wouldn't buy either.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
You'll probably have trouble selling your 5150. The demand for them has dropped recently for some reason. I bought my combo for $450 - when I sold it, I had to let it go for $400, and that was a hard haggle. So if you want to sell it, put it up now, and don't ask a ridiculous price - you'll scare potential buyers away.

As for the XXX... well, what kind of tones do you want? It's not any better or worse than a 5150, it's just a different amp. You never stated what you wanted to sound like, so it's hard for us to say if it will be good for you or not.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I feel with my 5150 that the sound sounds a bit thin. Im looking for a huge sound that sounds very crunchy, like Pantera but not as much treble. Ah, like Mark Tremonti sound on Alter Bridge's "Isolation". Great sound there, if I could replicate any sound. Thats what it'd be.
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
ill buy your 5150 bring it down to bloomsburg.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Quote by Obama FTW
I feel with my 5150 that the sound sounds a bit thin. Im looking for a huge sound that sounds very crunchy, like Pantera but not as much treble. Ah, like Mark Tremonti sound on Alter Bridge's "Isolation". Great sound there, if I could replicate any sound. Thats what it'd be.
5150? Thin?

Its probably the speakers in the combo man. Sheffields leave a lot to be desired, replace 'em with Celestion V30s/K100s, Eminence Legend V12s/Governors/Wizards or a mixture of such speakers. The V30/K100 combo is pretty popular with high gain stuff, and V30s on their own.

If you're wanting Pantera tone you're going about it the completely wrong way. He mainly used SS heads (Randall RG100 and Century heads come to mind) until the Warhead came out, which had a bunch of SS trickery as well.

If you're not looking for much more treble then the XXX isn't what you want. It's quite a bit brighter than a 5150/6505.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by Obama FTW

I'm sure Mark used the Mesa Boogies rectifiers, but i'm not sure which.
It has been said to death already but the XXX is bright and the 5150 is dark.

If the 5150 sounds thin then maybe you need some new tubes/speaker.

If you want really good cleans then the 5150 isn't for you anyway.

But don't get a halfstack just to get a halfstack.

Jack and Jill went up the hill.

Peavey cabs are not the greatest - especially with only one working speaker.

An XXX head can be had for less than $600.

Look at the Vypyr tube amps. A bunch of convincing amp models on there.

Budget, Genres, Gig or no,

Stuff