So im 20, working and want to get back on a contract (use to be in my mums name).

O2, T mobile, Vodaphone, Dialaphone, Orange have all denied me the contract because of failed credit check. Im trying to get O2 Unlimited calls and texts for 36.00 a month with a Nokia Lumia or Samsung galaxy S2.

I have never had loans, any debt etc.. Im not on the electoral roll either (surely this cant be the reason?).

Ive even tried with it in my mums name and has also failed.

Any experience on this? or advice .
Quote by Deliriumbassist
It's possible that not being on the electoral roll has hindered you. It's used to confirm identity. You technically have no credit history, so I think it may be essential.

If so, why would my mum be denied if she has a long history of keep up with bills, payments etc..?

I want to get on the electoral roll but takes a while for them to update it at my local council.

Thanks
Quote by smokedereefa
If so, why would my mum be denied if she has a long history of keep up with bills, payments etc..?

I want to get on the electoral roll but takes a while for them to update it at my local council.

Thanks

I can't explain it for your mum, but keeping up payments doesn't make for a sterling credit rating- it's more about how much profit a bank can make from you. I have never missed a payment, but my rating is 3/5, so I haven't been hugely profitable for banks, but it seems like I've played by the books and kept up my payments.
register for the electorate, or generally just go get a good credit rating, and stop being a bum.
Quote by Spaztikko
register for the electorate, or generally just go get a good credit rating, and stop being a bum.

Im not being a bum and i have no idea how i 'go get a good credit rating'. I don't want any credit cards or anything similar so im not sure how i can even 'obtain' any credit without the electoral roll.

Reason we're not on yet is, because we've just moved 'full time' in a property that was in construction before + having the local council taking forever getting us on it.
I used to sell mobile phones. It is definitely the electoral role. If you are not on it, you automatically fail before they even get to checking your financial history.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I used to sell mobile phones. It is definitely the electoral role. If you are not on it, you automatically fail before they even get to checking your financial history.

Would have thought that when you gain a credit history, the electoral roll would be a moot point. Guess not.
I guess it's just the shape of phone contracts to come.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Can I scream?

Nope, because you don't have a contract and your pay as you go phone that you had to get instead hasn't got any credit.

However, if you top £10, you get to choose an additional "Apollo Program" package, including free evening calls, weekend texts, and more!

It's an offer so good you'll be conviced the Apollo Program was a hoax!
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Would have thought that when you gain a credit history, the electoral roll would be a moot point. Guess not.

Before they even check your credit history they crosscheck the name and address supplied with what's on the electoral role. You autofail if this doesn't match up, before you even get your history checked. This is because credit checks work on addresses, and multiple fails on one address can cause a blacklist. They need to make sure the person actually lives there before doumg this, and crosschecking the electoral role is how its done.
I don't remember ever registering on the electoral roll. Though I get post telling me to go vote every time an election comes up.
I have bad credit history...because the people that lived in this house before us had the same last name as us, which meant that the bank assumed we're the same people.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Before they even check your credit history they crosscheck the name and address supplied with what's on the electoral role. You autofail if this doesn't match up, before you even get your history checked. This is because credit checks work on addresses, and multiple fails on one address can cause a blacklist. They need to make sure the person actually lives there before doumg this, and crosschecking the electoral role is how its done.

I see. So its more of an identity check that im failing on because of the electoral role.

Thanks for your help