Hey guys, I am new here. I approached scales with the 7 patterns of the 3 note per string stretch method, and have a decent understanding for using modes, etc, but I have been wondering if maybe I should also take the time to learn the box model approach so that I can "think a little different".

Does anyone have a background the same as me where they experienced this?

My expectation with learning the box model is that I may start using my index and ring finger more as I do with the pentatonic/blues scales for stronger bends etc, as opposed to fast runs and alternate fingering riffs with a 3 note per string method.

I must put up the disclaimer that I am not an expert on music theory, and so unfortunately I am heavy on the patterns rather than knowing exactly which note on the fretboard yet. I still have a lot to learn.
Quote by raredesign

I must put up the disclaimer that I am not an expert on music theory, and so unfortunately I am heavy on the patterns rather than knowing exactly which note on the fretboard yet. I still have a lot to learn.

That's what you need to work on. And until you get an extremely thorough understanding of scales, completely forget about modes.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
That's what you need to work on. And until you get an extremely thorough understanding of scales, completely forget about modes.

Yeah, I agree I need to work on the fretboard. Any good tips for best ways of learning the notes?

Luckly, with my limited number of memorized notes, and good ear, I actually don't have an issue phrasing within the modes based on the chord within a progression. I honestly don't think it is that difficult, but I just want to get to the next step, and I think you are right that the lack of memorization of each note is likely holding me back.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Please give me your thoughts about going from 3 note per string to the box model?
Last edited by raredesign at Apr 1, 2012,
honestly, instead of worying about box vs 3-noets per string, you should learn the notes of the fretboard and learn scales by their names not by shapes.

check the fretboard note identification exercise on musictheory.net
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by krypticguitar87
honestly, instead of worying about box vs 3-noets per string, you should learn the notes of the fretboard and learn scales by their names not by shapes.

check the fretboard note identification exercise on musictheory.net

Excellent site! thank you, thank you!