Hello, I'm planning to become a solo artist when I get older, I currently play guitar and I'm pretty good at what I do, I have a basic recording software: Mixcraft and I want a bass so that I can make my own music. But I'm confused about what bass to pick.. Ibanez or Fender? I heard that Ibanez makes some really nice basses, and I would like to know what you guys think. My genre is punk, but I bet that both of them are very versatile so lemme know what you think. Aprreciate it.
Ibanez basses can be good. I have a GSR200 which is on the cheap end. It sounds good now with new pickups but before that it sounded pretty bad. Fenders sound better without making modifications, but cost more.
I have no idea what I'm talking about other than in a very general, so take this with a grain of salt.

I suspect the dollar for dollar, an Ibanez would be a better buy, dollar for dollar, than an entry level Fender Squire or such. You're probably not in a position to jump in with a MIA Fender "Jazz" or Precision", both of which are long term industry standards.

I've looked at this Ibanez: http://www.israbox.com/uploads/posts/2011-11/thumbs/1321968220_taylor-swift-speak-now-world-tour-live-2011.jpg But mostly because it seems decent, and it's available left handed.

So, that's my pick, but hold out for a second & third opinion.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 1, 2012,
I'd go Ibanez. I have a Squier P Bass (shit, I know) that's held up really well in the past. I'm not a dedicated bassist, but It's held up for me. On the other hand, Ibanez has some really brutal basses. I personally love the BTB series, but like Cranky said, hold out for a more experienced opinion.
guitarists find it easier to play on ibanez basses over fenders, due to the fact that the ibanez basses have very thin and wide necks as far as basses go
Quote by gman128
guitarists find it easier to play on ibanez basses over fenders, due to the fact that the ibanez basses have very thin and wide necks as far as basses go

Erm, not really. If we're going to compare an Ibanez SR to a P-bass, then sure, but try comparing an ATK to a Jazz bass. Furthermore, I doubt ease of playing is going to be a massive issue anyway; if I were to make sweeping generalisations I'd suspect that most guitarists who're just looking to add some low end to their songs won't be playing anything massively technical.

I suspect the dollar for dollar, an Ibanez would be a better buy, dollar for dollar, than an entry level Fender Squire or such.

Perhaps, but not if you can stretch to the VM/CV price range. These will probably trump the equivalent competition in that price range and be far quicker/easier to get a usable sound out of.
Quote by GreenDaysGrace
Hello, I'm planning to become a solo artist when I get older, I currently play guitar and I'm pretty good at what I do, I have a basic recording software: Mixcraft and I want a bass so that I can make my own music. But I'm confused about what bass to pick.. Ibanez or Fender? I heard that Ibanez makes some really nice basses, and I would like to know what you guys think. My genre is punk, but I bet that both of them are very versatile so lemme know what you think. Aprreciate it.

Not to be mean, but have you really though this through? If music is you passion and you want to do it alone, why wait? Also why solo punk just curious?

It's also incredibly vague to ask about Fender Vs. Ibanez. Fender has a lot of models, but I assume you mean the P and J. Meanwhile Ibanez not only has a host of vintage well crafted fender copies better than real fenders at times (blew you mind didn't I) as well as the soapbar active/passives, the ATK as mentioned (almost a stingray) as well as other creations including hollowbody basses.

Anyways without knowing your budget, I assume your 12-15 and I'll suggest a Squier P bass of some sort with round wound strings, pretty much the industry standard.

I just got my 4th P bass, and my 3rd squier (all affinity) one. Never paid more than $50 (or under) for one and I find them perfect for me, and perfect for a "solo" bedroom artist. I got a candy apple red, with rose wood model, just going to add a tort guard, chrome covers and flats to it (but I'm not playing punk).

For reference I've also owned a MIM P bass, MIJ Mustang, MIM Fretless Jazz, MIM Jazz, Squier Bronco, Squier VM 70's jazz and Epiphone EB-0 and they'd all do some variation of the stereotypical "punk" tone (but you don't want to be generic do you?).
Huh, you called it, Askrere.

"I am a 13 year old man from Toronto Canada. I said man, cuz it sounds so much cooler than boy"

And I sat here reading the entire thread thinking this was serious.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Quote by Rawshik
"I am a 13 year old man from Toronto Canada. I said man, cuz it sounds so much cooler than boy"

And I sat here reading the entire thread thinking this was serious.
Try to be fair and open minded. It is deadly serious if you're a 13 YO from Toronto.

Although, just maybe not to you, or the rest of us.....

Anyway, earlier I accidentally linked a photo of Taylor Swift, instead of an Ibanez bass I was looking at. As it turns out, it might not have mattered.

Anyway this is the bass, (Ibanez SR300) http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/ibanez-sr300-electric-bass/h79314000001000 These are active pickups (!) or (?)

What's the general opinion on this..?
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 2, 2012,
I'll admit to not even reading the thread. I've never played a Ibanez I've liked and I own three MIA Fenders, so you can guess which I prefer. All I have to add to this thread is this picture.

GO BANANA!
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Is this really the future of punk music?

I am going to go back and join in with Klaus Flouride and jam on "Holiday in Cambodia"

Seriously, set your damn budget and try a bunch of Ibbys and Fenders until you find the usable punk sound you want. For me that was a Pbass copy with flats--for the man above it was a Fender Jazz. Punk is about breaking boundaries and DIY.
Without a budget, I can tell you that an American Deluxe Fender is certainly a better buy then an Ibanez GSR200. And an Ibanez SR Prestige 5006E is a better bet then a Squier Affinity Jazz.

But seriously, would you like a few more apples and oranges to compare? Go try some basses.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I've a GSR200 and play it live regularly. Versatile as ****, great bass for the money.
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC