can a certain chord be played anywhere on the neck?Like the c major chord is played by 0
x
On the first 3 frets.If we fret the next 3 frets like shown above could that also b called the c major?Think the answer is no but just making sure
Quote by music99
can a certain chord be played anywhere on the neck?Like the c major chord is played by 0
x
On the first 3 frets.If we fret the next 3 frets like shown above could that also b called the c major?Think the answer is no but just making sure

I have no idea what you're trying to say right here, but I'll try to answer anyway.

With this particular shape. you can move the fretted notes up and down the neck, and it will be a major chord of whatever note your C notes here moved to. So, you could play, for instance
x
x
x
For a F chord.
Sidenote: this technically won't make a chord, but just a diad, as only playing these fretted notes gives you a root and a third, but no fifth.

If you want to experiment with your barre chords though, you could move it up like this
x
, also to an F chord.
gr8 more confusion nvm that i ever asked that question just started playing 3months ago so grrr so many confusion
Buddy go check out" justinguitar.com" it has some really good lessons and is free. Cheers
Quote by music99
x
OK, the top nut of the guitar counts as a "barre". When you move chords up the neck, your index finger has to make the "barre", (holding all strings down on the same fret.

The C Major chord you offer as an example could, "presumably" be done as a Barre chord.

I'm going to show you a Db-1 Major. This would be C Major with the barre at the 1st fret. The standard notations for which finger to use are: "T" thumb, "I" Index, "M" Middle, "R" Ring, ""P" Pinky.

So, "Db Major would be

e-1 1 w/Index (Part of the barre).
B-2 2 w/ M
G-3 1 w/ index (part of the barre).
D-4 4 w/R
A-5 5 w/ P
E-6 X (don't play)

OK this is sort of awkward to finger, (at least for me).

The C Major open form can also be reached like this: (Again we're making a Db Major).
e-1 X (don't play)
B-2 2 w/middle
G-3 1 w/ Index
D-4 3 w/ ring
A-5 4 w/ pinky
E-6 X (don't play

Strangely, when you see this fingered on the guitar, the whole thing looks a bit like the Nike, "Swoosh". In a very abstract way, of course.

Thais can be moved anywhere on the neck. The "root" note of this chord, (the name of the chord) will be found wherever your middle finger is placed in this chord fingering.

Every time you move up a fret, ("semi-tone") the name of the chord will change by one step of the chromatic scale.

Somebody else can explain, "chromatic scale", for you.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 2, 2012,