Page 1 of 2
I never read tabs because I try to learn how to play everything by ear. Tabs can be very helpful, but I'm afraid if I only read tabs, I'll never learn how to play by ear. My reasoning is people like Eddie Van Halen and David Gilmour couldn't just log onto UG and read tabs to learn a song. They could only learn by ear and look how they turned out.
No, you're the only one.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
I've stopped using tabs & started really focusing on trying to learn songs by ear. I don't want what songs I can learn to be determined by if there are tabs available or not.
Order & Justice
Order Restored, Justice Served
I've been using tabs a lot less as time goes by, but then again, I'm not really playing as complicated stuff anymore. I'll do a lot of it by ear, but if there's stuff that I want to play that I can't figure out, I'll look it out.

A lot of the time, though, there won't be a tab for what I want.

I've also really stopped playing other people's stuff as much, so there's that.
I actually just recently learned an entire solo by ear. It's much more satisfying to learn by ear than a tab.
I'll learn by ear for rock/pop songs. But I'm usually reading out of The Real Book. Can't stand tabs.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I can only learn by ear on the piano. I still have to use tabs when learning guitar songs.
Sail upon the open skies
people have been using tabs since at least the 1600s. The Italians, French, and Germans each had their own systems. the form we use currently is a mix of French and Italian tablature.
I use tabs pretty regularly. Don't fight the new generation of technology. While it is a good skill to be able to learn by ear, technology is only expanding as time goes on. Just because old heroes had to rely on ear doesn't mean the new ones will.
I have never looked at a tab outside of the Stairway riff when I was 13.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
I use them as a guide. I can play by ear but it's faster to go off of a tab and then go by ear to fine tune it.
sunbather is shit
i mainly only right my own music anymore, and plus i don't play much guitar (its usually just a backing instrument for me anymore), but occasionally i will open up something to see how they got a sound on guitar.
I use tabs because I don't like to pretend to people on an internet forum think that I learn things by ear.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I rarely do. Hell, I barely learn songs anymore. Sometimes I think it kind of takes a way some of the "magic" to a song if I know it perfectly and play it all the time. Besides, I usually prefer to just randomly improvise stuff these days, now that I'm out of my band.
I used to use tabs to learn songs when i first started playing guitar but started growing out of the habit when i got the idea how the pentatonic scale works and basic chords shapes ect.

I began playing along with simple rock songs that were pretty power-chord heavy like "be my girl-Jet", then it just started growing from there. The more you listen to yourself play and get used to what fingering/fret=certain sound, the easier it gets. I've been playing for around 4-5 years and just recently started taking it very seriously by taking lessons. I strongly encourage in taking lessons because they save you a lot of wasted time and developing poor technique.

MOST importantly... practice.... PRACTICE PRACTICE.... JUSTTT .... PRACTICE *twich*

Imma go back to lurking.
I generally use tabs if I'm having trouble getting a song started. From there I can (typically) figure it out myself.

But you're right--a lot of older generation musicians didn't have the aid we have today. They relied on themselves and their musicianship. It's something I'd like to do, but it never works.

Smoke if you got 'em, amirite?
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by FireHawk
i mainly only right my own music anymore, and plus i don't play much guitar (its usually just a backing instrument for me anymore), but occasionally i will open up something to see how they got a sound on guitar.

I'm glad music is all you write.

I use tabs. I hate having to figure things out by ear, although I do come up with some really good riffs when I try to figure a specific one out.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by HowSoonisNow
My reasoning is people like Eddie Van Halen and David Gilmour couldn't just log onto UG and read tabs to learn a song. They could only learn by ear and look how they turned out.

Quote by RU Experienced?
I've been using tabs less and less as time goes by but they're still useful when I'm being lazy or can't nail a tricky passage.

This
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Hey you, 'coffin bob', don't you be making fun of my Gilmour's guitar faces, i.e., the faces of a God.

edit: ugh, more banter about 'technical' music.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Last edited by eGraham at Apr 2, 2012,
Quote by HowSoonisNow
I never read tabs because I try to learn how to play everything by ear. Tabs can be very helpful, but I'm afraid if I only read tabs, I'll never learn how to play by ear. My reasoning is people like Eddie Van Halen and David Gilmour couldn't just log onto UG and read tabs to learn a song. They could only learn by ear and look how they turned out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2x7yBwtWYg
I usually resort to tabs, because I have trouble distinguishing chords by ear.
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']I usually resort to tabs, because I have trouble distinguishing chords by ear.
Just start with very easy songs. Find the root of the chord first, then deduce the rest of its tones.
I read sheet music and play by ear for piano so I'm now doing the same for guitar. I don't really understand tabs to be honest.
I don't use tabs as much as I used to, but if I want to learn a song and it sounds like it might be tricky to figure by ear I'll use the tabs as a guideline.
I don't really like tabs, they don't make much sense to me. I prefer sheet music. I have seen people just read down a page of tabs and do it perfectly the first try....idk I can't do it.
Page 1 of 2