If I wanted to build a LM386 amp for bass guitar what advice could you give me on making a good one?

Im already thinking a speaker/box combo ment for more bass than treble. I was also thinking about not adding a gain control. Maybe that would help produce better clean bassy tones.
Use decent components in the audio chain and supply it with clean, well-regulated DC. Use a socket for the IC. I'd still add a gain control.
I use 9v only. I get all my components are Radio Shack. I always use an IC socket.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5gluKtG-bg this is one of the guitar amps i made off of a 386 chip.

i was debating on the gain, i know some may want a crunchy sounding bass some may want a cleaner sound. leaving the gain pins untouched is cleaner than hooking them up and turning the gain all the way down. when wired the lowest the gain goes is 20 when connected. (gain goes from 20-200 if you understand what I'm saying). unhooked it goes to 0.
Is there a way to wire in a cap or resistor to lower the high end output? If so where would I wire it in? I assume there is something I can put between the volume potentiometer and the board...
Get a decent speaker and it will sound decent.

You won't however get any cleanroom at any useable volume whatsoever, theres just not enough power in the thing.
Quote by caw1
i was debating on the gain, i know some may want a crunchy sounding bass some may want a cleaner sound. leaving the gain pins untouched is cleaner than hooking them up and turning the gain all the way down. when wired the lowest the gain goes is 20 when connected. (gain goes from 20-200 if you understand what I'm saying). unhooked it goes to 0.

So, add a switch in there as well? So you can have a clean channel (0 gain) or a dirty channel (20 - 200 gain).
And reading through that I read that if you change the 22ouf cap to something lower it will have more bass. Did I read that right? How low should I go? 100uf?
In the second circuit, you'd change the .22uf cap to a higher value to get more bass in the circuit. There isn't a volume pot in the second design, but it would go where the 10k resistor goes to ground.