Hey guys! I'm basically a drummer trying to get into songwriting, so I have a very limited understanding of music theory thus far. I play mainly pop-punk/easycore music, and I'm looking for any help regarding the typical chords or chord progressions used in this style of music. I'm pretty stuck on power chords, which get pretty old pretty quickly. I don't necessarily have to learn how to play them, since I usually just tab out my ideas in Guitar Pro anyway (like I said, I'm a drummer at heart).
Some of the bands that influence me are Man Overboard, The Wonder Years, The Story So Far, Four Year Strong, and Real Friends. Any help you guys have to offer is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Bands like Four Year Strong and Chunk! No Captain Chunk! are sometimes called "easycore" bands. I guess "heavy pop punk" would be a clearer term to use. Regardless, I just feel like I can only do so much with basic power chords
Quote by overitunderit
Regardless, I just feel like I can only do so much with basic power chords
Well, you could learn some basic chords. For instance, learn chords like A, D, E, Amin, Emin, etc.
You and me both brother! If you figure anything out please message me will ya?

Quote by overitunderit
I'm basically a drummer trying to get into songwriting, so I have a very limited understanding of music theory thus far.
Quote by GuitarGuy2604
You and me both brother! If you figure anything out please message me will ya?

will do man!