Hi all, I've currently got a 75W Peavey Vyper which I bought about 6 months ago as it was a stupid bargain. I've now realised it's far too big/loud for my needs, I just play at home and do the odd recording now and again, I don't think I've ever had the volume above 2 lol.

Anyway, I'm looking at a smaller amp around 30W maybe which should suit my needs perfectly.
I'd say my budget is around £150 second hand, I play mainly metal (Eyehategod, Slayer, Pantera, etc but not fanny Metallica crap) so it needs to have a heavy distortion sound hopefully without having to shell out for a pedal to go in front of it (I already use an EHX Big Muff with my current amp which growls like a mo fo).
Guitars are Dean FBD Tribute and ESP Ltd Viper 400.
I don't know if I've just got the old "I need some new gear" bug or what

I've been looking at Vox AD30VT, Fender Mustang etc, the Blackstar HT5 looks interesting but as with all reviews on them there's always one which says you cannot get a proper metal sound without adding overdrive from a pedal.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.
30W is not going to be that much quieter, it's still going to be loud enough to be capable of pissing of many neighbours and such.
I got the ht5 about 6 months ago and i playstuff like machine head and heavy stuff like that and I found the ht5 distortion wasn't man enough for it. Have to run a pedal for stuff like your after in my opinon. I have no personal experience with the other amps. Hope this helps a lil.
Pod HD500 and a good set of headphones.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Pod HD500 and a good set of headphones.

+1

Although you'll struggle to find one with a budget of £150. In fact, I think anything you buy for less than £150 is going to be a downgrade from your Vypyr.
Gibson SG
Peavey 6505
Jet City JCA20H
Mesa 2x12

"They found her body, face down dead in the rain,
Such a shame,
Such a pretty face, never should have felt this pain"
Black Stone Cherry <3
Not keen on those Pod things, I mic up my amp with an SM57 for recording, just seems a waste to have such a hefty amp in my living room lol.
Does it matter if you keep the volume at 2? Why should you have it cranked? It's a digital amp and it's meant to sound good at any volume. I have a Laney VC30 and I keep it at 1/10. And it's only 30 watts, I have used it only at home. But that's why amps have a volume control.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by 667
Doesn't the Vyper have a head-phone jack?

It also has a usb out which is handy but it makes monitoring very hard as there's latency when I listen live.
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Does it matter if you keep the volume at 2? Why should you have it cranked? It's a digital amp and it's meant to sound good at any volume. I have a Laney VC30 and I keep it at 1/10. And it's only 30 watts, I have used it only at home. But that's why amps have a volume control.
This.

If it's too loud past 2, then DON'T TURN THE VOLUME PAST 2. It's common sense. If you like the sound you get out of it at a low, don't sell it. It's a digital modeler, not even a tube amp. You should be having no volumes issues at all.

I own a 100w tube amp that I run into a 4x12 cabinet, and I don't normally turn the volume past 1.5 regularly unless I'm recording, gigging, or home alone. Should sell it? Why? It gives me the great sound at low volumes, so what's the issue

To be honest, I don't think with any amp I've ever owned/borrowed I would turn the volume past 2. I own a 15w Vypyr that I use for travel that is even too loud for bedroom wankage at ONE! "I never turn it past 2" is not a good reason to get rid of an amp.

If you can get it to sound good at a low volume, than keep it. Fuck what the little numbers next to the knob say. If it bothers you that much, get out a pen, a small strip of masking tape, write "11" on it and stick it on the "2" on the volume knob.