I'm thinking of getting new pickups for my Charvel super strat. The current ones are those shitty factory Jackson pickups (I got the guitar 2nd hand and I have no idea why it has Jackson pickups) and I am still in the process of deciding what to put it.

The configuration is Humbucker bridge, single coil middle, single coil neck, and I will be getting the guy in the guitar shop to put them in. I am wondering what kind of pick ups should I avoid so that the guy at the shop doesn't have to do any extra modding as I am on a very tight budget.

Cheers
What is your budget?

I assume you play metal but could you tell us more about your styles?

What amp do you use?
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
Quote by barnesybaby
What is your budget?

I assume you play metal but could you tell us more about your styles?

What amp do you use?

My budget is around £150 I am thinking about getting the pickups second hand, the amp I use is a Roland Cube 30 and I play hard rock and shred.
£150 is a pretty good budget. You can just about get a full set of new Seymour Duncans or Dimarzios for that but if you are willing to buy second hand then it is even easier. I would suggest a Pro Track in the neck, Paf Pro/Paf Joe/Fred (They are similar and I really can't decide between them right now) in the bridge and probably a Fast Track 1 in the middle for some tonal flexibility.

You shouldn't have to do any specific modifications, if you get sincle coil sized humbucker you can just ask for it to be split in positions 2 and 4 by using the 4 wires [properly].

Also, for the record, somebody is going to say to invest that money in a new amplifier.
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Blackstar HT40
Quote by barnesybaby
£150 is a pretty good budget. You can just about get a full set of new Seymour Duncans or Dimarzios for that but if you are willing to buy second hand then it is even easier. I would suggest a Pro Track in the neck, Paf Pro/Paf Joe/Fred (They are similar and I really can't decide between them right now) in the bridge and probably a Fast Track 1 in the middle for some tonal flexibility.

You shouldn't have to do any specific modifications, if you get sincle coil sized humbucker you can just ask for it to be split in positions 2 and 4 by using the 4 wires [properly].

Also, for the record, somebody is going to say to invest that money in a new amplifier.

Nice one mate I was wondering because I saw someone talking about EMG's and I think I saw something about having to get new electronics and pots etc and I had no idea what that was or how much it is gonna cost.

What do you think about having a Tone Zone in the bridge? Or is it really a neck pickup? Also for the amp I am quite happy because I have a Boss ME-50 plugged in aswell and it does pretty well during band practice plus its very handy as its easy to move around.
I am not a fan of EMGs but some people like them so no comment from me. Actives pickups would require extra wiring because of the need for a battery. Most Dimarzio, Seymour Duncans, Bare Knuckles etc etc just drop in nicely (allowing for spacing).

The Tone Zone is an awesome bridge pickup (combining with an Air Norton or Air Norton S is a timeless combination) but it is usually used for metal and heavier music due to the high output. I chose PAF style pickups because you mentioned rock music. Can you name any bands that you play specifically?

I didn't mention the amp change because of a lack of quality sounds but more so because often subtle changes from pickups aren't as noticeable when going through a modelling system.
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Blackstar HT40
Quote by barnesybaby
I am not a fan of EMGs but some people like them so no comment from me. Actives pickups would require extra wiring because of the need for a battery. Most Dimarzio, Seymour Duncans, Bare Knuckles etc etc just drop in nicely (allowing for spacing).

The Tone Zone is an awesome bridge pickup (combining with an Air Norton or Air Norton S is a timeless combination) but it is usually used for metal and heavier music due to the high output. I chose PAF style pickups because you mentioned rock music. Can you name any bands that you play specifically?

I didn't mention the amp change because of a lack of quality sounds but more so because often subtle changes from pickups aren't as noticeable when going through a modelling system.

My band plays GNR, Poison, Motley Crue, AC/DC kind of music. By high output does that mean it will have a lot more gain/noise? I am thinking of relying less on the ME-50 because I would rather use the amp on its own with a foot switch for switching between channels and effects (It sounds more natural).

I have heard about people putting the Tone Zone in the neck, is this a wise idea?
Putting the Tone Zone in the neck is not a wise idea in my opinion. For a start it is high output meaning that the bridge pickup should be of a higher output to balance well. More so the Tone Zone is very Bass heavy; Now in the bridge this is ok because the placement is evened out by the natural treble but in the neck it is going to get a bit boomy.

I thought you may say people like GNR... It is worth noting that the people you have mentioned don't use high output pickups, Slash in particular using mild output Alnico IIs and Mick Mars uses a Strat so... Those bands rely on high gain amps (Marshalls) to get their drive. Without trying to sound like a snop through the Cube you may not really hear the difference (I have 3 Cubes so I speak from experience) but if you plugged into say a Fender Twin with lower and higher output pups you would hear the difference. The higher output ones are going to push the front of the amp harder. A bit like having a boost pedal but not turned up that high.

Did you use the Dimarzio pickup picker to see what they suggested by the way?
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Blackstar HT40