Hi guys,

My ibanez rga42 has been malfunctioning since my band members plugged it into a yamaha electric keyboard as the amp. Now whenever it connects to the guitar
amp, a Roland microcube, it will function normally like 15 seconds then high frequency
noises would dominate the input signal from my guitar, while my les paul works perfectly
with the amp. The noises from the ibanez are like those high frequency sounds from the
water kettle when the water is boiling. I have tried to change the batteries for the
active pickup, still doesnt solve the problem. I guess the pickups were killed by that electric keyboard

But I cant prove the diagnosis so I would like to consult you guys for suggestions.

Thanks in advance
They plugged it into a keyboard as an amp? How stupid are these people? It sounds like there's probably something wrong with the electronics. It could be the pickups, but it might be a jack or grounding issue.
It shouldnt have done anything unless it you somehow managed to forcefully feed electricity INTO the guitar... but if its plugged from output (g) to input (keys) not much should have happened...
A quick search of the web shows people have done so without damaging their guitars. There may be more to the story...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Telecaster7
Did you see them plug it in, or did they just tell you that's what happened?

I saw them plugged it in the keyboard, initially the guitar sounded well in clean, so I stupidly thought it won't be a problem. But then the signal rapidly degenerates into high frequency noises, and the same thing happens to me now whenever I play the guitar with the amp. Sounds good at first, then the signal rapidly degenerates into noises, its like something in the guitar reaches a limit then sets off the degeneration process.

I have tried to reboot the amp immediately after the guitar screams to see if things will restore back to normal, but it turned out to be not. So I left the guitar alone for around 5-10 mins then play it again, well, this time the guitar sounds good at first, then signal degeneration happens again. Some electronics must be the perpetrator of this degeneration. (Of course the true perp is me and my bandmates, lol)
try changing the batteries, theyre under the rectangle shaped cover on the back...i freaked out the first time my 42 started making some outlandish noises but thats all it was, dead batteries. 2 AAs should do the trick
Quote by Jacko-Mcjacko
try changing the batteries, theyre under the rectangle shaped cover on the back...i freaked out the first time my 42 started making some outlandish noises but thats all it was, dead batteries. 2 AAs should do the trick

Thanks man I tried that but it is still making those noises lolz
Lets do some troubleshoots here.

First let us identify the source of the problem. Try to switch to one pickup at a time. If the sound still there then it might be a capacitor which has blown out. Open the back cavity and check for any sign electronic fault.

I think your bandmate might have plugged the guitar into an active input jack which feeds the guitar with electric and might have over-voltaged the capacitor.
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by hminh87
Lets do some troubleshoots here.

First let us identify the source of the problem. Try to switch to one pickup at a time. If the sound still there then it might be a capacitor which has blown out. Open the back cavity and check for any sign electronic fault.

I think your bandmate might have plugged the guitar into an active input jack which feeds the guitar with electric and might have over-voltaged the capacitor.

I have followed what you suggested, the pickups are fine as the sound is still there.

I have opened the back cavity and saw that there's charred substances at the point of connection of the solder and the volume knob potentiometer, here's the image and sorry for the poor quality as i took it with my crappy phone.

http://i.imgur.com/P2I0y.jpg

Thanks for the advice.
Last edited by samchs at Apr 2, 2012,
It's only solder burn. A bit sloppy work but it's acceptable. The picture is horribly blurred. Can you try to take another one of the whole cavity? A bit sharper would help a whole lot.

While you're at it, check the caps. If you don't know how they look like then there's an easy way to identify it. Basically on a standard wiring there should not be more than 3 components inside a cavity: The potentiometer, wiring cables and the tone capacitors. You should already know what a potentiometer and cables looks like so try to find the caps and see if they are still sealed.

ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by hminh87
It's only solder burn. A bit sloppy work but it's acceptable. The picture is horribly blurred. Can you try to take another one of the whole cavity? A bit sharper would help a whole lot.

While you're at it, check the caps. If you don't know how they look like then there's an easy way to identify it. Basically on a standard wiring there should not be more than 3 components inside a cavity: The potentiometer, wiring cables and the tone capacitors. You should already know what a potentiometer and cables looks like so try to find the caps and see if they are still sealed.

Well for my RGA42 it turns out to be having a potentiometer, a pickup switch and a PCB preamp in the cavity only, it seems that the caps are located somewhere else.

https://cs.hoshinogakki.co.jp/i-public/faces/Model01.jsp#

The suffix for my guitar is 1P02, i think it would be helpful if u guys could know what parts are inside the guitar.
It might be the preamp that is smoked then. If you have any soldering tools then try to bypass it and only run the pickups with the pot. Isolate the preamp from the wiring.
I usually use a pair of alligator cable and go straight from the pickup wire to the cable that is plugged into the amp. Be sure to connect in the right order, though. Best to read some wiring schematics if you're unsure which one's which.

ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 at Apr 2, 2012,
Quote by hminh87
It might be the preamp that is smoked then. If you have any soldering tools then try to bypass it and only run the pickups with the pot. Isolate the preamp from the wiring.
I usually use a pair of alligator cable and go straight from the pickup wire to the cable that is plugged into the amp. Be sure to connect in the right order, though. Best to read some wiring schematics if you're unsure which one's which.

Thanks so much for helping me to figure out the preamp is the true perp. I deprived it of electricity supply then everything went alright except the tone LOL. So its time to change a new preamp
You would need the exact same preamp as the one in your guitar, I think.
I don't know if Ibanez sell these as parts on their own.
I had a problem with the preamp in my rga42, couldn't find a replacement part,
decided to ditch the original actives because I wasn't too fond of them in the first place.
Put my Emg-Alx in there and never looked back
Quote by Dunkelheit-164
You would need the exact same preamp as the one in your guitar, I think.
I don't know if Ibanez sell these as parts on their own.
I had a problem with the preamp in my rga42, couldn't find a replacement part,
decided to ditch the original actives because I wasn't too fond of them in the first place.
Put my Emg-Alx in there and never looked back

Cool man! I think this option is better for me as I dont really like the stock pickups also.

Is the replacement of pickups troublesome? As I have never tried it before. But it seems easy with the Quik-connect technology in EMG pickups. Do you need to solder anything during the replacement?

Thanks in advance.
First let try if the guaranty still valid for the guitar. I don't think the preamp is suppose to blow even if it was plugged into an active input. Must be something wrong with it to start with. Contact the seller or Ibanez directly and hope for the best.

There are a few "solderless" pickup kits available which only requires the right screwdriver (pickup mounting) and hex wrench (for the pot), probably a tiny bit of soldering. I never really taken an interested in them since I prefer to solder and mess around with the wiring however I want. It's a fun way to personalize the guitar.

ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Yeah installing the wiring itself was a breeze,
though I wasn't too happy that I couldn't use
the regular short stereo output Emg provided.
I had to fumble about with the long stereo output that came with the guitar.
But in the end it all worked out.