So basically for my university course, I've been asked to take a song and cover it in 3 different genres. I decided to do Tracy Chapman's 'Fast Car'.

For anyone who doesn't know the song (shame on you!) here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6475u0wEG0

Here's my first attempt at a cover, the vocals are rough and there's probably a few ****-ups, I'm just looking for general views on it.
The sound I was going for was like the Cult, Magazine etc. that kind of early-mid 80s sound!

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/This_Kidd/music/all/play1097829

Thanks,
Mike

Oh, and as always C4C is more than welcome!
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat,
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
I liked that a lot. The guitars really worked well, although it felt like the intro maybe lasted a little long. Vocals were solid, nothing amazing but decent enough. Recording quality isn't bad at all either.
If you could drop a comment on one or more of my Youtube vids (link in my sig) that'd be awesome
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Thanks for the quick reply buddy, yeah I'd agree about the intro, I have a habit of doing that though, usually because I'm not such a confident vocalist!

Thanks for the crit, I plan to re-do the vocals anyway, they were pretty rough! And yep I'll have a look at your youtube now.
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
This is pretty awesome, actually. The only parts that aren't quite there are the vocals and the bassline.

This is only my opinion, but I really think the intro riff would sound amazing with the original D, A, F#, E bassline.

And the vocals are okay, they just need some work.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
yeah man, I actually accidentally cut an entire chord out of the progression haha, it was only when I went back to playing it the original way that I realised that F# should've been in there.
But I think it's a bit late to change the whole thing now really!

And yeah I'm not much of a vocalist, I'll have a go at improving them though!
And as for the bass, I've only been a bass player for literally a week, borrowed a bass from a friend especially to record this! What would you suggest I do with the bass? I'm all ears!

And thanks for the reply

Edit: Oh and if you have anything you'd like critiqued then drop me a link dude!
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
Last edited by This_Kidd at Apr 2, 2012,
Quote by This_Kidd
What would you suggest I do with the bass? I'm all ears!

Well, you know how in the original song, Tracy's playing the root notes and that little lead thing at the same time? Take the root notes from that progression and you have your bassline. It gives the song a little bit of a different feel to change that bassline.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Good stuff man, like it a lot. I agree that the intro is a little lengthy, but that's not a big deal at all. I love the guitar tone. Overall a good listen.
Not too familiar with the original so I took a quick listen to it and then yours.Honestly I like it in your style better. You should shorten the intro and maybe even condense the whole song. If you could sing as well as her that would be great.What are the other to genres you are going to do it in? I'd like to hear them when you are done.
Quote by lol2theworld
I was about to diss kornflipsk8er, but then i realized hes an 03er and im an 09er.
I am inferior to him.

Quote by metalh3ad88
I am fairly certain that kornflipsk8er is GOD!!!11!!!!1!!
Nice work, the intro is a little long, and sometimes the bass feels like it's a bit too much, almost sounds like in a way though haha.

Nice twist on a classic haha, nice hearing someone pronounce "fast" correctly.
JakubtheGac: Yeah I agree about the intro, I think what I'll do is keep the full version but also make a cut-down version, try and get it under 4 minutes I think.

kornflipsk8er: Thanks! That's quite a compliment Yeah I'll just keep trying with the vocals! I've just decided to do a Surf-Instrumental version which I think will be really fun

King Turi: Thanks dude, yeah I'm not a very decent bassist, only been playing for 2 weeks! And yeah man, gotta pronounce it right

Thanks to everyone who's replied so far!

Mike
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
Hi man!

Thanks for your kind words on my Bowie cover

The quality of your Fast Car song is also very good. I would tweak the vocals a bit, they stand out too much for my taste but you have a great accent. I dont have much experience with mixing vocals (I'd like to change that tho) but I would cut the mids on the guitars a bit to make the vocals sit better in the mix.

Cheers!
Gear:
Parker Nitefly-M
Carvin DC 727 Custom w/ Bare Knuckle Pickups
ENGL E625 Fireball 60
BM 2x12" Celestion Vintage30 Custom cab
Line6 POD x3 Live
Behringer V-Tone GMX210, lol.

www.serpentia.pl
www.soundcloud.com/harpo777
Well, let's first ignore that it should be considered sacrilege to change that song much from the original (That'd be like making Don't Stop Believin' into heavy metal... People's chop your balls off). Why change an already perfect (and I do mean PERFECT) song. I say this not to be an ass, but just as a general statement for the future.

Now, it wasn't really my style of music, but that aside, the guitar was pretty good. SIDE NOTE: I think it's interesting how you took an extremely depressing song, and kind of made it happier. That's a cool skill to have.

Vocals: Eh... Pitches were pretty good, but enunciation needs to improve. The lyrics felt a bit off (It may have been your accent, in which case, ignore that statement). Get some emotion in that shit, bro! You sounded bored.

All in all, not a bad job, though I don't agree with completely redoing that song. =D
"This nightmare's gonna break me.
Please, Daylight, save me..."
R_Gallagher_Fan: Cheers buddy I've put the backing track on Youtube if you're interested in doing your own version? PM me and I'll give you the link if you fancy it!

The_flower_king: Thanks for the advice dude, based on the quality of your mix I'll definitely try that!

DaysofGrace: Oh man, I was just waiting for someone to say that! Well this is a project for my Music course man, I had to choose a song and whatever I chose, someone would turn around and say what you said Thanks for the input though man, I agree about the vocals completely, I'm not very competent with vocals to be perfectly honest, but practise makes perfect!

Thanks for the replies, people!
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
From reading the title, I was curious to know how this would sound and I think it works really well. The arrangement works very well and the quality of the recording is pretty decent.

If I had to pick something negative to say I would like to hear different vocals. Granted, the vocals aren't bad at all, but I think I'd prefer something more similar to the original. Maybe that's just me though.

All in all, a very respectable cover and one I enjoyed listening to.

C4C?
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1532805
I like your rendition as it is. It's impossible to compare it to the original, as it is completely different in style.

I like your arrangement for the guitar, but I'm not really fond of the vocals. It seems like there's no energy in them, unfortunately. It sounds dull at some points. All in all, a good effort, but keep practicing, I know singing is hard. :P

The "I had a feeling that I belonged" isn't too great either. :P The "eye-i-eye" really doesn't fit in my opinion.
LesPaulLeader08: Thanks for the input dude, glad to hear you think the arrangement works well! The thing is, this is for my university course. I was set the task to cover a song in 3 different genres, so the vocals have to be stylistic to the genre I'm doing the song in. Tracy Chapman-esque vocals just wouldn't fit in a post-punk song!
I'll go to your thread in a sec dude!

I K0nijn: Thanks man, clearly the vocals are the weak point, I will definitely be re-recording them but I am a rank amateur in the realms of vocal recording & editing! But thanks for the input buddy!
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
Last edited by This_Kidd at Apr 15, 2012,
Hey Mike,

I like the originality of it. It's actually a tough song though it seems nice and easy. Vocals could be turned up a bit. Great job