Hello!
We're going to make an album, we have more or less nice garage studio.
I think we are able to record instruments well, but I have serious doubts about mixing and mastering. We are thinking about sending recorded tracks to some professional studio to achieve good results (maybe it's reasonable to send few variants of each instrument track recorded different ways to let pro sound engineer chose better). Style is stoner rock. What studios all over the world with this services for reasonable money would you advice?
There might actually be some guys on this forum who'd do it for you (for a small fee). Not me personally, but I think Odirunn offers a mixing service.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
that's interesting.
Really we are ready for a not very small fee, if result will worth it)
My studio specializes in what you need. Hit me up and we can talk details!
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Food for thought....

Is it better to provide questionable tracks to a pro to mix?

Most people don't have the gear or the environment to record a full band with good quality. It also takes a lot of practice and experience. If you mike up a drum kit, for instance with a handful of SM57's without a whole lot of rhyme nor reason of where to put them, there's only so much anyone can do with them, no matter who mixes them.

Or is it better to get great tracks from a pro and mix them yourself?

You can have great tracks, but if you don't have the proper gear and environment for mixing, or the practice and experience to get good results, you could also find yourself a little disappointed.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I'd love to work with your band! Message me on UG or email me at paradigmrecordings[at]gmail[dot]com and we can talk!
Let's party.
Hey dude, I work as an intern in a full-fledged music studio, label, and school. We offer recording services and mastering at reasonable rates. Check out the site below and email them for rates and everything

RockNRollSanDiego.com
That's what we have fo recording now -

Yamaha YD drums

Fender Bassman 50 head + 2x12 WGS Reaper Custom made Cabinet (coming ih few days)

crappy ashdown bass head and cab (suppose to record bass via DI box)

mics-

Shure Beta 58A
Shure SM48S
Shure SM58
Shure PG 81
Shure SM57 (x2)

Electro-Voice CO7 Cobalt Series
Electro-Voice RE 510
Electro-Voice 660A

AKG D88S
AKG D3800M
AKG D22
AKG D112
AKG D1000E (x2)

Audix I5 (x2)
Audix D2 (x2)
Audix D4
Audix D6

Octava МК-105
Octava МК-012 (x2, for stereo)

Joemeek JM47a (x2)

Studio Projects B1

monitors-
Yamaha NS-10 M Studio + amp Yamaha A100a

other-

RME Multiface II + RME HDSP PCI
MOTU 8pre + Focusrite Platinum 8 OctoPre

Hughes & Kettner Red Box

seriously modded Alesis 3630

Room is more o less sound isolated, 33 sqr meters.

So I suppose, with some efforts we can record good sound of insruments
Wow, you've got some serious gear for not being able to mix well.

+1 to checking out the studios listed in the sticky at the top of this forum (myself, and many others are listed in there); but I personally have to question your reasoning behind spending that kind of money on gear, if you didn't plan on learning how to mix yourself. That money would've have been much better spent just recording your songs in a studio, with someone who knows what they're doing
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Wow, you've got some serious gear for not being able to mix well.

+1 to checking out the studios listed in the sticky at the top of this forum (myself, and many others are listed in there); but I personally have to question your reasoning behind spending that kind of money on gear, if you didn't plan on learning how to mix yourself. That money would've have been much better spent just recording your songs in a studio, with someone who knows what they're doing

It's not my bands gear, I spent money only on guitar cab)) it's studio of my friends, they made it not so long ago, they are full of enthusiasm, but you know, playing guitar and tweaking amps for good sound it's in many aspects intuitional process, but mixing and mastering is serious engeneering that requires some knowledge and it's not easy to get it fast, so we want to try pro mixing at first, I suppose my friends will learn something from that too for further work.
Last edited by sirFlyingV at Apr 3, 2012,
Main thing - the idea is to make a kick ass records. But I never heard kick ass hard rock/stoner rock records made in Russia. Evil metal, nu metal, pop punk, pop rock - maybe, but not true hard rock or stoner rock like Clutch for example. So I suppose it's better to make mixing and mastering where it is usual genre, where studios have successful experience in it.
Quote by sirFlyingV
Main thing - the idea is to make a kick ass records. But I never heard kick ass hard rock/stoner rock records made in Russia. Evil metal, nu metal, pop punk, pop rock - maybe, but not true hard rock or stoner rock like Clutch for example. So I suppose it's better to make mixing and mastering where it is usual genre, where studios have successful experience in it.

You're in Russia?

I'd suggest you contact my buddies Vadim or Farid at TubeTone.ru - I know Farid works with some pretty awesome studios over there, a few of which I have nearly outfitted entirely with gear (and his band he plays in is actually similar in styles to yours). If that doesn't work out, then there's still a good resource of studios on our sticky here on the forums you can choose from, and many others across the internet that I'm sure would be willing to do it for a decent price.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw, we bought our Bassman in TubeTone, they are really nice and friendly guys

Yes, there are some number of really good studios in Moscow, but there are really high prices for everything here, and again I never heard tough records in needed styles made here. In our studio we have good gear and nearly unlimited time for tracking, but for mixing we need someone who have experience in producing such music.

I have found some interesting variants , thank you for advices, guys!
Last edited by sirFlyingV at Apr 3, 2012,
Well, there'd be no good reason for not being able to produce decent sounding tracks.

8)

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
to be quite honest, you can mix yourselves if you spend a lot of time working on the actual tones you want for the piece, then you only really have to set low cuts, some highs to remove some fizz and just balance the track.

mastering, is a lot more tricky than mixing IMHO.

My band are in the same situation, we're recording our own EP and we're also a 'stoner rock' band. Its just one of them things really, where you just have to pull the pin on the grenade and throw it. There are so many internet tutorials relating to what DAW you use and how to get the best out of them that you don't really need to leave your bedroom to learn how to mix.

Honestly, just get stuck in and produce the track how you want. I guess you want it to sound like bands such as Truckfighters, kyuss, fu manchu?

its all sort of loose but bass tight, and is quite simple to get around really.

Have fun with it!
Upgraded HSS USA Fender American Series Strat
G&L USA 30th Anniversary Legacy
Laney Lionheart 20 112
Generic Boss DD-3
Blackstar Ht-1
and an old Beaten up dunlop Mr.Crybaby.

http://www.facebook.com/CarelessRumour
Quote by Glenn Guitar

mastering, is a lot more tricky than mixing IMHO.
No.

There are a lot of talented mastering engineers around and it is something that requires knowledge for sure. But really, if your mix is perfect then you don't need to do anything, save compress it to hell like you have to do nowadays. There is no great mystery to mastering. To simplify things, it's really about getting a second opinion. You send a mix, or stem tracks to a mastering engineer. He listens to it and makes spectral adjustments + compresses it and maybe automates it (like, cuts the song into sections and pulls the fader down a slight bit on the quieter parts for example). That's the general process. However, many of the ones doing the job are incredibly talented and they can make the mixes sound even better (or shoot them to hell). But there's isn't really a great big secret about it.
Last edited by Yax at Apr 4, 2012,