Hey guys. In the recent weeks, me and my band have decided that I'm going to sell my ENGL e530 preamp to the band's rhythm guitarist so that he finally has a tube (pre)amp to run. He's got a Spider III at the moment, and it's great, but it doesn't blend well with my ENGL.

I, on the other hand, have decided to save up for something even more versatile. I decided I was going to go with a high-end modeling preamp. The DigiDesign Eleven Rack has recently caught my eye. First, I have a couple of questions.

Can it handle a djenty tone well? This isn't really for my band, but for me. I love playing math metal in my spare time when I'm not with my band, and I want something that can get that sound.

Will I need a noise gate, or is this a fairly quiet preamp? This is something I have a lot of concern for. At the moment, I'm only using a Behringer rack multi FX as my noise gate. It gets the job done, but I can find better. Would I be able to sell this to add to the funding for it, or am I going to need it still?

In my mind, this is sort of a "Poor man's Axe FX," am I right? This being a modeling preamp/USB interface, this is what I'm assuming.

Will Pro Tools be an absolute necessity or can I run it on any DAW? I'm more than willing to get the packaged deal, as right now, I'm running a torrented version of Samplitude Pro X, so I'd probably end up getting the packaged deal and not get sued anyways, but I'd just like to know.

Are there any specific MIDI switches that I will need, or can I just get any old MIDI switch to run it? I haven't seen any switches specifically designed for it, but it'd be nice to know if I'm missing something.

Is there anything that's cheaper, but in the same league that you guys can recommend? Let's face it, money's tight, but if this is the cheapest I can go, then so be it.

Thanks for reading. I'd give you a TL;DR, but there's really no summarizing to it.
It can get a variety of sounds, as any modeler, but that digital thing is really prevalent. Can't escape it.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Go for a used AxeFx standard. The eleven rack can be a real pain at high volume.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
The 11R is a great unit! I love mine!!
It sounds great and is verry easy to dial in!

It has a built in NG that work good.
You can use it whit any daw but you have to use PT to use the editor but ist pretty esay to dial using nobs and display.

Go to http://www.elevenrackpresets.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=1&page=1 if you have any more qs its a great site whit alot of helpful and talanted guys!

Cheers!
Jonas
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Classic Custom
Esp Truckster
Epi Goth Explorer
Ovation Celebrity
Bjärton Bj-12
Eleven Rack
Bugera 333xl
Bugera 412H-Bk
Marschall valvestate 8080