I am going to buy an acoustic guitar. Steel strings. I have been playing guitar for 5 years, but I have only been playing electric. The first guitar I bought was an electric, so I don't know how to play an acoustic very well. I am mostly playing jazz-oriented stuff at the moment.

With this guitar I am mainly going to accompany singers (a lot of live playing). A lot of pop, light jazz and singer/songwriter oriented stuff. I also want to learn some acoustic songs by Pat Metheny and Tommy Emmanuel.

The problem (since I never have played anything typical for acoustic) is that I don't know how a really good acoustic guitar feels. I play a Gibson Les Paul Standard 08 with really low action. I think that I am going to need an acoustic that is not so hard to play. I mean one with low action. It must have a built in microphone to.

What do you guys recommend? I've been to several shops here in Norway testing, but I don't feel that I have enough knowledge about acoustic guitars. Any tips? I can go slightly above the price range if I want.

Price range:
USD: 1763,45 to 2645,18
EURO: 1322,94 to 1984,41

(Which by the way equals to 10 000 to 15 000 NOK)
Check out the song on my profile. What do you think?
Taylor.... Look no further. Low action, fast necks, great sound.
THE GEAR The Gear
Ibanez RGA121
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Schecter V7 Black Jack
PRS SE Custom 24
Ibanez S470
Line 6 Spider Valve 2x12
How about Martin? A lot of the stores I went to recommended Martin guitars as well as Taylor.
You know it really comes down to what feels right to you but Imo taylors just felt better and appeared to be better quality. Plus they come with elixer strings on them. To me a lot of taylors have a brighter sound in comparison to the martins I tried. The martins I tried just didn't sound as diffined. Keep in mind the strings play a big part in that as well.
THE GEAR The Gear
Ibanez RGA121
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Schecter V7 Black Jack
PRS SE Custom 24
Ibanez S470
Line 6 Spider Valve 2x12
Last edited by Briyan_15 at Apr 2, 2012,
From what I'm able to deduce, it's kinda like splitting hairs with those two companies. Both make great guitars. Maybe also check out Santa Cruz?
Ok. I see. But I think some of the Martins I tried were maybe a little bit easier/lighter to play. At least for me as electric guitarist. But do you recommend any models by Taylor that I should check out? Any best sellers or something like that?
It's really a matter of taste. Try playing a bunch of different guitars. Find a few guitars that play the way you like, sound the way you like, and (if you care) look the way you like, then do some research about them to see if they're well-built or at least maintainably consistent, and pick one of those. That's what I'd do anyway.
Quote by JBA
Ok. I see. But I think some of the Martins I tried were maybe a little bit easier/lighter to play. At least for me as electric guitarist. But do you recommend any models by Taylor that I should check out? Any best sellers or something like that?

Taylors that are great Big Baby Its a lot cheaper then your price range but its the first taylor I bought. Its a little smaller then a normal taylor 15/16 but the sound is huge and its light. Next up the Taylor DN3 Sapele/Spruce Dreadnought its basicly the big baby but full size and with upgrades. Keep in mind that these are pure acoustic. Taylor 214G Grand Auditorium its alright a little boomier sound.
THE GEAR The Gear
Ibanez RGA121
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Schecter V7 Black Jack
PRS SE Custom 24
Ibanez S470
Line 6 Spider Valve 2x12
I been to several stores and tried a lot. This may sound stupid, but I actually don't know what I like and what I think sounds best. This is because I really don't know how to bring out the good acoustic sound. I play just the way I do when I play electric and that doesn't bring out the really "good sound" if anyone understands what I am saying.

I'm for example having trouble maintaining each note. I simply do not bring out the magic on an acoustic (this is something I'm going to learn when I get one) and that's why I think it's so hard to decide.
Last edited by JBA at Apr 2, 2012,
Quote by JBA
I been to several stores and tried a lot. This may sound stupid, but I actually don't know what I like and what I think sounds best. This is because I really don't know how to bring out the good acoustic sound. I play just the way I do when I play electric and that doesn't bring out the really "good sound" if anyone understands what I am saying.

Are you sure you like the sound of the acoustic guitar? If you have a favorite artist that uses an acoustic guitar that has a tone you like, that might be a good place to start.
Quote by AmalgamOfMeat
Are you sure you like the sound of the acoustic guitar? If you have a favorite artist that uses an acoustic guitar that has a tone you like, that might be a good place to start.

I absolutely love Pat Metheny's acoustic sound for example. If I am correct I think he uses Manzer guitars but they do not exist in Norwegian music stores. I would have to order one.
Quote by JBA

I'm for example having trouble maintaining each note. I simply do not bring out the magic on an acoustic (this is something I'm going to learn when I get one) and that's why I think it's so hard to decide.

I think you should try some guitars in sapele or rose wood.
THE GEAR The Gear
Ibanez RGA121
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Schecter V7 Black Jack
PRS SE Custom 24
Ibanez S470
Line 6 Spider Valve 2x12
Last edited by Briyan_15 at Apr 2, 2012,
Quote by JBA
I absolutely love Pat Metheny's acoustic sound for example. If I am correct I think he uses Manzer guitars but they do not exist in Norwegian music stores. I would have to order one.

I think part of what you're experiencing is just not being used to playing an acoustic guitar. It does require a bit different technique than playing an electric, but once you get used to it you might be able to get the kind of tone you're looking for. Even a "bad" acoustic guitar can sound good with good technique. I wouldn't recommend ordering a guitar until you've at least had a chance to play the same model, you might like the sound but hate how it plays. You could look into guitars that are similar to Manzer guitars.
Last edited by AmalgamOfMeat at Apr 2, 2012,
Quote by JBA

Manzer guitars also start at $10,000USD. Your price range is starting to hit the bottom end of custom luthiers. You might look in your area to see if you can find someone somewhat reputable to build you a guitar just the way you want. If you don't want to go to the trouble however, there are company options.

Being a Taylor owner I would say you might do well with one. However, I would push you towards Stonebridge instead. They're probably ctually called Furch where you are but they're a MUCH better deal than Taylor. In America they're comprable but overseas Stonebridge blows Taylor out in price to quality.
However, nothing will beat going to a store and playing guitars until you find one that fits your hands and body.

EDIT: Most of these people posting know little to nothing about acoustic guitars, I've sent you a PM since I can't post this publicly.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Apr 2, 2012,
Quote by AmalgamOfMeat
I think part of what you're experiencing is just not being used to playing an acoustic guitar. It does require a bit different technique than playing an electric, but once you get used to it you might be able to get the kind of tone you're looking for. Even a "bad" acoustic guitar can sound good with good technique. I wouldn't recommend ordering a guitar until you've at least had a chance to play the same model, you might like the sound but hate how it plays. You might look into guitars that are similar to Manzer guitars.

Yes absolutely. But I just think it is so hard to go for anything since I don't have that tone that I'm looking for (in my fingers). ( And I would never order a guitar I haven't tried)
Quote by Artemis Entreri

Being a Taylor owner I would say you might do well with one. However, I would push you towards Stonebridge instead. They're a MUCH better deal than Taylor where you are. In America they're comprable but overseas Stonebridge blows Taylor out in price to quality.
However, nothing will beat going to a store and playing guitars until you find one that fits your hands and body.

Ok. You see. I have never ever seen a Stonebridge guitar in a Norwegian store. The selection here is awful.
Quote by JBA
Yes absolutely. But I just think it is so hard to go for anything since I don't have that tone that I'm looking for (in my fingers). ( And I would never order a guitar I haven't tried)

It's a bit of a catch-22. You need to already be used to playing one to know which one you want to buy lol
Last edited by AmalgamOfMeat at Apr 2, 2012,
Quote by JBA
Ok. You see. I have never ever seen a Stonebridge guitar in a Norwegian store. The selection here is awful.

Yeah, I was afraid of that. I'm not really sure what your selection is going to be like. Taylors are going to be pretty overpriced if you do get one but they are very player friendly.

I have no idea where you live but, http://www.luthman.no/
they deal Furch guitars. Trust me on this, if it is at all possible for you, this is the way to go. Owning a higher series Taylor than you're going to be able to get reasonably, Stonebridge/Furch blow it out and they're way cheaper in Europe.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri

I have no idea where you live but, http://www.luthman.no/
they deal Furch guitars. Trust me on this, if it is at all possible for you, this is the way to go. Owning a higher series Taylor than you're going to be able to get reasonably, Stonebridge/Furch blow it out and they're way cheaper in Europe.

I live close to Oslo, the capital of Norway. You see. That site only sells to stores, not private people. I can go to a store and ask to them to order a product from luthman but then I will have to buy it.
Quote by JBA
I live close to Oslo, the capital of Norway. You see. That site only sells to stores, not private people. I can go to a store and ask to them to order a product from luthman but then I will have to buy it.

Ah, I see. I'm 90% sure you wouldn't regret it but being an acoustic player I totally understand, Iwould never buy a guitar without playing it for a good bit of time. Check the PM I sent you.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Ah, I see. I'm 90% sure you wouldn't regret it but being an acoustic player I totally understand, Iwould never buy a guitar without playing it for a good bit of time. Check the PM I sent you.

I haven't recieved the PM yet.
My advise, is this, Just keep playing them till you say WOW I love this, because with a $2000 guitar you likely are keeping it forever, don't rush, just play everything and ignore the brand and features find what plays your way and you can't walk out of the store with out buying, it will take some time and likely many many trips......

good luck
Quote by JBA

It might be a good idea for you to ask the sales assistant to play the guitars for you to hear, as well as playing them yourself.
Quote by another_dave
It might be a good idea for you to ask the sales assistant to play the guitars for you to hear, as well as playing them yourself.

Haha. Didn't think about that, but they all played a little bit while demonstrating what they recommended. They mostly just laid some chords. I can do that too.