Hi all, I've bought an empty Marshall VS212 cab and a set of G12H 80hm speakers. Now I didn't realise the cab was completely empty, so obviously I need to get the jack inputs etc, but alas, I'm unsure what I need in total. (It's going into a Laney VC30) So any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL
Custom 2x12 G12H Extension Cab

Nevermind.........
Last edited by vacant_pistol at Apr 2, 2012,
What sorta wire do I need?
Yamaha Pacifica 112j
Marshall JCM 100DSL
Custom 2x12 G12H Extension Cab

Nevermind.........
just normal insulated wire. Im not too sure about the thickness, ive never built anything that puts out any real power like an amp so I'd go with something on the thicker side? Thicker than 18 gauge Id say. If you look at any other amp/ cabinet you have, check the wires connecting the speakers for reference
14 gauge should be plenty. With speakers I generally say the thicker the better, but lately I've been going thinner.

The most important thing is going to be the quality of your soldering. Believe me that makes a gigantic difference! Spend the $10 or so on a little jar of flux and it will be the best $10 you ever spent on your sound (assuming you do your own soldering.) Get a nice Terminator 2 type of liquid metal appearance when you're making your joints and you WILL hear a difference.

Just a cheap soldering iron, some decent solder and a little flux will go a long way for you. And the best way to learn to wire a cab is to tear one apart. The wiring is pretty simple. Most of the loss occurs at the connections between the jacks and those between the wires and the speakers (energy is lost as heat at these points.)

Good, clean, Terminator 2-style soldering will minimize this.