Hello pit. I have this feeling. This feeling is awesome.

Imagine this:

You're listening to something. Floaty music, or someone talking, maybe Stephen Fry or Bob Ross telling you a story. And while you listen, you doze off a bit, and you get into a state of half-asleep half-awake, all your thoughts are gone, your vision is not focused on any one thing in particular, and the only thing going on right then and there is this something you're listening to.

And you feel a great tingling sensation in your head.

Example youtube videos where I get this are here, here, here, and pretty much any video by this guy.

Tell me pit, do you know of this feeling? You should.
It's called losing attention. It's exactly what happened three sentences into your post there.
It might be

-puts on shades-

The unnamed Feeling.

YYEEEEAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!
Quote by christfudge
Joe Satriani + Kirk Hammett = Joe Satriani

Quote by Vornik
I got really drunk, dropped some acid and found myself about 12 feet away from a black bear. Though you should know.
Sorry, I don't speak freaker.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
ASMR (Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response - or something along those lines). It's a pseudoscientific name made up to describe that exact feeling. Wikipedia has an article about it.

Edit: OK, so it doesn't. Apparently the wiki entry was removed.
🙈 🙉 🙊
Last edited by entity0009 at Apr 2, 2012,
Quote by entity0009
ASMR (Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response - or something along those lines). It's a pseudoscientific name made up to describe that exact feeling. Wikipedia has an article about it.

Edit: OK, so it doesn't. Apparently the wiki entry was removed.

Yes, THAT is it!
In positive psychology, it's called "the flow state".

Check it out, brotha: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

EDIT - Okay, so I just looked at that wiki article, and it seems incredibly dull. Flow basically occurs when you're immersed in an activity that you are (1) sufficiently interested in and (2) sufficiently capable of doing. This sounds vague - but with your example of music, you enter the flow state because you are very interested in the music, but also very capable of appreciating it in some way.

The result is a complete direction of awareness. All of the sensory "noise" that you have to deal with in a given moment (e.g., sounds in the background, memory construction, bodily sensations) are simply "filtered out", allowing you to hone in on the music. With your attention completely directed at the music, there is simply nothing else in your consciousness, and so you begin to feel "one with the music".

It might sound cheesy, but it's actually a very well-documented psychological phenomenon. I would not be surprised if many people here have experienced a similar state while playing guitar.
SUPER BOWL XLVIII
D E N V E R B R O N C O S vs. S E A T T L E S E A H A W K S
Last edited by Pan-Tallica at Apr 2, 2012,
Quote by The_Casinator
It's called losing attention. It's exactly what happened three sentences into your post there.

I didn't make it past the first.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by The_Casinator

Harsh.

You Belgians should stick together
Quote by Pan-Tallica
In positive psychology, it's called "the flow state".

Check it out, brotha: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

EDIT - Okay, so I just looked at that wiki article, and it seems incredibly dull. Flow basically occurs when you're immersed in an activity that you are (1) sufficiently interested in and (2) sufficiently capable of doing. This sounds vague - but with your example of music, you enter the flow state because you are very interested in the music, but also very capable of appreciating it in some way.

The result is a complete direction of awareness. All of the sensory "noise" that you have to deal with in a given moment (e.g., sounds in the background, memory construction, bodily sensations) are simply "filtered out", allowing you to hone in on the music. With your attention completely directed at the music, there is simply nothing else in your consciousness, and so you begin to feel "one with the music".

It might sound cheesy, but it's actually a very well-documented psychological phenomenon. I would not be surprised if many people here have experienced a similar state while playing guitar.

I've never experienced this.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Congrats on your first stroke.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.