Page 1 of 2
Albums that you just bought for no particular reason, without even listening to any of the songs on it. Was it a good album, or do you regret buying it?

I bought Amon Amarth's "Surtur Rising" because it has a bitchin' cover.
I bought Dream Theater's "Octavarium" because some dude in the Perfect Albums thread mentioned it.

Both great albums.

List yours.
Your flesh means more than you.
No profit...
For once no profit...

Quote by She
That's what.

CHECK IT OUT NOW
FUNK SOUL BROTHER
Fall Out Boy's From Under the Cork Tree in '05. I had never heard of them prior, picked up the CD, loved it.

Then everyone loved them, then hated them, and then I went back, and it's still a great album.
I never heard Opeth before. I knew of them but never heard more than a clip or two of a song. I bought both Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries just for curiosity's sake and they ended up being very good.
I also bought Origin's Aftermath without even knowing they had a new album (I believe it's called that but I'm too lazy to check). Not a huge fan of technical death metal anymore but that album is still killer.
Paul Westerberg's Come and Feel Me Tremble. I haven't listened to any of the tracks prior to buying it. I'm a huge PW fan so I just bought it.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
I bought A-ha Shake Heartbreak by the Kings of Leon when it came out, hadn't heard of them then. It's a cool album, shame they're pretty crappy now. That was probably the last album I actually bought
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
I never heard Opeth before. I knew of them but never heard more than a clip or two of a song. I bought both Blackwater Park and Ghost Reveries just for curiosity's sake and they ended up being very good.
I also bought Origin's Aftermath without even knowing they had a new album (I believe it's called that but I'm too lazy to check). Not a huge fan of technical death metal anymore but that album is still killer.

I've been meaning to pick up some Opeth.
Your flesh means more than you.
No profit...
For once no profit...

Quote by She
That's what.

CHECK IT OUT NOW
FUNK SOUL BROTHER
A Woody Guthrie album. Haven't even removed the packaging paper or whatever it's called.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Testament's Practice What You Preach a year ago. Didn't like it, production was terrible and it just had no wow factor.

A7X's City Of Evil recently. I thought they would be one of those bands that everone hated just because they were popular, but they're actually pretty terrible. Regret buying this one big time.
When I was young, I bought Kiss Alive on 8 track because I thought the cover was cool. It was pretty much my first music purchase and I was probably 12 years old. It made the hairs on the back on my neck stand up. Up until that point I had been raised on AM country radio. It was an excellent purchase!
Veil of Maya's Id album and Born of Osiris' A Higher Place. Both of them are meh, VoM being a bit better at times. I'd only heard Windowpane by Opeth when I bought The Candlelight Years (which includes their first three albums) and I love it.
Quote by willT08
Quote by HowSoonisNow
How was Confucius death metal?
You've clearly never read any Confuscius.

As I wait on the edge of the earth,
I can see the walls being torn down again
Only to be rebuilt in another name,
On a different day
Van Morrison's Astral Weeks, lav it
I have no sig, and neither do I want one.
Many moons ago, I found a used copy of End Hits by Fugazi in the CD bin at a local comic store where I would hang out w/ my friends. I'd heard of Fugazi, but didn't really know anything about them. Needless to say, it was an excellent choice b/c Fugazi are the best band ever.

I found a used copy of Ex Hex by Mary Timony at a record store over the summer & bought it 'cuz I knew she was "that lady from Carrie & Janet's new band". Now she's srsly one of my favorite people ever, & I got to stand right in front of her at two Wild Flag shows this weekend.
only listing the ones that turned out to be worthwhile

The Ergs!/Grabass Charlstons split
The Ergs! - Ben Kweller EP
Adolescents - Blue Album
Andrew Jackson Jihad/Mischief Brew split
Night Birds - s/t 7"
Hunchback - Ugly On the Outside
World/Inferno Friendship Society - Me V. the Angry Mob
I bought Here We Stand by The Fratellis because I like top hats. Liked it so much I went and bought Costello Music the next day. They were a good band, kinda miss them now.

But I still listen to the albums.
Most of the albums I buy are completely new to me. I like surprising myself.

Last week I went to the store to buy some broken social scene/laura marling and I got those, but I also saw a bunch of other albums on the same shelf and I just grabbed all of them because I'd never seen them there before and there was only one copy left of each.
cat
Monster by REM, Them Crooked Vultures (worst music purchase EVAR), and an album by King Missile.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by neidnarb11890
Many moons ago, I found a used copy of End Hits by Fugazi in the CD bin at a local comic store where I would hang out w/ my friends. I'd heard of Fugazi, but didn't really know anything about them. Needless to say, it was an excellent choice b/c Fugazi are the best band ever.

I feel that's the way Fugazi should be discovered.
Quote by blake1221
Fall Out Boy's From Under the Cork Tree in '05. I had never heard of them prior, picked up the CD, loved it.

Then everyone loved them, then hated them, and then I went back, and it's still a great album.

Fall Out Boy are a great band, no idea why people slagged them for so long.
I bought Merriweather Post Pavilion on a complete whim, having heard none of their songs before. Best musical decision of my life.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by Piñata
Fall Out Boy are a great band, no idea why people slagged them for so long.

Pete Wentz
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
A Woody Guthrie album. Haven't even removed the packaging paper or whatever it's called.

Do it motherfucker

Which one is it?
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Pete Wentz

Er... Is he the bassist? I dunno man... I like their singer anyway.
As I Call You Down by Fistful of Mercy (Dhani Harrison's band)

Run Devil Run (a power group, but collaborated by Paul McCartney)

Run Devil Run is essentially an album covering old rock'n'roll style songs, with a few originals by McCartney. It's good, but the only reason I bought it is because David Gilmour was a lead guitarist for them
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by Piñata
Er... Is he the bassist? I dunno man... I like their singer anyway.

I think it's because he was an attention ***** and he became more famous than their singer so everyone associated him as Fallout Boy
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by blake1221
I feel that's the way Fugazi should be discovered.

Word. Ian woulda been proud.
Quote by bradulator
Do it motherfucker

Which one is it?

No idea. I find him a bit boring really.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
No idea. I find him a bit boring really.

I thought you were better than this

He can get tedious, but it's more of the story behind all of his songs that make him awesome. I'm not going to be in the mood to listen to the same chord progressions and crappy singing all the time, but I still love him. The first volume of his Asch Recordings has all of the Woody that you need.

picked this up on vinyl on impulse for £3 ages ago. Didn't listen to it for ages, but when I did it blew my mind. Amazing record.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by bradulator
I thought you were better than this

He can get tedious, but it's more of the story behind all of his songs that make him awesome. I'm not going to be in the mood to listen to the same chord progressions and crappy singing all the time, but I still love him. The first volume of his Asch Recordings has all of the Woody that you need.

Well, I do love Bob Dylan but I generally find him to be better than Woody Guthrie at what Guthrie is famous for. Might give him another listen someday, can't really listen to music nowadays though, got a knock on my left ear after being jumped this friday so my left ear drum's a bit damaged at the moment.
A Four Year Strong album, I hate it now but I really liked it at the time I guess.

More recently, I bought a Pianos Become The Teeth/The Saddest Landscape split. At the time I only really liked PBTT, but now I love both bands. Wasn't exactly on a whim, but a pleasant surprise nonetheless.

I bought The Mars Volta - Deloused In The Comatorium because I thought the album art was cool. Now they're one of my favourite bands, so that worked out well.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
Well, I do love Bob Dylan but I generally find him to be better than Woody Guthrie at what Guthrie is famous for. Might give him another listen someday, can't really listen to music nowadays though, got a knock on my left ear after being jumped this friday so my left ear drum's a bit damaged at the moment.

Bob Dylan is basically Woody Guthrie but with better production, writing, and not a hobo.

Also why'd you get jumped bro?
Violator-Depeche Mode.

Turned out to be an excellent choice.
I couldn't think of a thing that I hope tomorrow brings
Quote by bradulator
Bob Dylan is basically Woody Guthrie but with better production, writing, and not a hobo.

Also why'd you get jumped bro?

No idea. Some random douchebags were drunk. So they punched me over the ear and I hurt my ear drum, so I'm in a kind of a vacuum right now on my left ear. And my friend's arm who he's operated before was damaged again.

Random drunk people wanting a fight I guess.
I picked up the Manchester Orchestra's first album several years ago when I'd never heard of them cause back when Myspace was cool they were on one of my favorite bands "top 8" or whatever it was called.
Quote by JohnnyGenzale
No idea. Some random douchebags were drunk. So they punched me over the ear and I hurt my ear drum, so I'm in a kind of a vacuum right now on my left ear. And my friend's arm who he's operated before was damaged again.

Random drunk people wanting a fight I guess.

That's lame. Feel better dude.
Page 1 of 2