I was just wondering if any of you had any fun studio experience story to tell.

My first studio session ever that I got payed for , I was recording a singer and while trying to setup the headphone , I somehow created an immense feedback that blew the monitors in smoke. It was quite the experience....

so, anyone as some funnies to share?

When my band was recording a song in the basement studio of another local death metal band's drummer I knocked out my bass part in a single try when everyone else took 5 to 10. Also our friend liked to play grab ass during tracking.
Bassist/Vocalist-Visceral Violation
Mesa-Boogie Big Block 750/SWR Megoliath
Warwick Corvette
I remember a session where I was messing around and overprocessed the vocals like shit. If I remember right it was something like this:

Main Vox: Focusrite Scarlett Comp, Waves RenEQ
Aux 1: Waves Doubler, Altiverb
Aux 2: Waves Doubler, Altiverb
Aux 3: Antares Harmony Engine, Doubler, Delay, Altiverb
Aux 4 (sent from aux 3): Doubler, Pod Farm (Whammy, Deity & Verb)
Aux 5 (sent from aux 4): Harmony Engine, some filter

BG Vox: Scarlett, EQ
Aux 1: Harmony Engine, Doubler, Delay
Aux 2 (from 1): Doubler, Pod Farm (AC30)

It was ridiculous as shit. We actually got it mixed down pretty well but in the end, scrapped it.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
I had a bunch of 16-17-year-olds come in. They said they were a hardcore band and had ambitions of recording an album in six hours. (8 songs)

I tried to break it to them gently that this wasn't very likely.

They showed me. They bloody nailed it. Bam! Bam! Bam! Bam! That's a wrap folks!

Now, to be fair, they weren't looking for a Def Leppard production, and nor should they have been. They were going more for Minor Threat, and that's closer to what they got. There were a small number of performance flaws, though nothing serious. They were willing to live with them.

But still...

I was impressed. I've had people three times their age that weren't as prepared or as tight.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Or the "common enough to almost be an archetypal story..."

Lead guitarist: Needs more guitar, dude.
Engineer: I dunno. It might be loud enough. You don't want to overpower the mix.
Lead guitarist: No way, man. Def gotta be louder.
Engineer: Adjusts knob attached to an aux send that goes nowhere. "Okay, we'll kick it up just a smidge." Turns knob almost a full half-turn.
Lead guitarist: YYYYYEEEEAHHH!! Dude, that's perfect! Thanks!

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

it wasnt i a studio but i doing live sound for a band and recording their show. the guitar was constantly too loud in the house mix, so i kept turning it down. my headphones werent working on the recording mix, so it wasnt until later i realized it was the amp that was overpowering the sound, and i had completely cut the guitar out of the recording. but at least the sound was great for the crowd i guess.
Did you guys ever had to record someone very terrible, but had to do it anyway?

I had this singer once...and oh god. I was cracking up while he was doing takes.
Quote by ShevanelFlip

I had this singer once...and oh god. I was cracking up while he was doing takes.

I was called to a studio to do some equipment maintenance and got there just as a group was finishing and packing up.

The producer and engineer were doing a couple playbacks in the booth. The engineer looked at the producer and asked "so ...... how are we going to make this sound like music?"
If I miss one day of practice, I notice it.
If I miss two days, the critics notice it.
If I miss three days, the audience notices it.

Ingacy Jan Paderewski (1860 - 1941)
^

Never actually used it in the studio, but our bass player's favourite line became one of my own:

"Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?"

CT

Was doing our first demos with a friend and he put on 'some reverb' while i was doing vocal tracks.

I said the reverb would rape me.

It did.
Was quite a weird moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CozsuFK7d04

and sorry to plug my own band, but luckily this was on camera. Wait for bass tracking, was probably more funny to us than everyone else but still, was funny.
Upgraded HSS USA Fender American Series Strat
G&L USA 30th Anniversary Legacy
Laney Lionheart 20 112
Generic Boss DD-3
Blackstar Ht-1
and an old Beaten up dunlop Mr.Crybaby.

http://www.facebook.com/CarelessRumour
Quote by ShevanelFlip

All too often. Kids these days, goddamn.
Let's party.
Quote by axemanchris
^

Never actually used it in the studio, but our bass player's favourite line became one of my own:

"Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?"

CT

I think Il have to start using that one now
This one time I forgot to turn the snare bottom mic on after messing with it... so one track off our album had a track of silence in there I almost didn't delete, for $hits and giggles.

Don't really have any other studio stories, but I did live sound for a band once and had to replace the lead vocal mic (luckily just a cheap '58-copy) mid-way through their set because the capsule got wet with the singer's blood and cut out... yeah, try telling the promoter why one of the venue's mics (not gonna use my own on that job!) doesn't work anymore, as the singer proceeds to smash said mic into his forehead for shock value...

Edit: Oh, and at the same venue I did the sound one night with a lineup including bands named 'Meatfeast' and 'El Schlong', proceeding a french deathtechgrindcore (I think) band called Happy Face.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Apr 3, 2012,
Lets see, I played a show a few months ago and had the most moronic sound guy. He mixed really good but during one of the bands, he did a major no no and went outside for a smoke break. About 2 minutes after he left, the singer managed to rip the XLR out of the snake or break the XLR or something so there was huge loud popping for about 45 seconds. My singer and I were taking bets on if the house speakers were gonna blow.

So, Pro Tip: When Engineering live sound, you don't get any smoke breaks.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
Lets see, I played a show a few months ago and had the most moronic sound guy. He mixed really good but during one of the bands, he did a major no no and went outside for a smoke break. About 2 minutes after he left, the singer managed to rip the XLR out of the snake or break the XLR or something so there was huge loud popping for about 45 seconds. My singer and I were taking bets on if the house speakers were gonna blow.

So, Pro Tip: When Engineering live sound, you don't get any smoke breaks.

When I do live sound (don't smoke anyway, woo for me) I leave the desk just as a band finishes, after muting all active channels and pushing up the fader with music queued from iTunes, and go straight to the bar while the bands sort their shit out before I can adjust mics etc. and get two drinks. A large coke if I'm thirsty, and then a double JD & coke as my treat for being patient with the bands, or as an emergency rescue aid if it gets stressful and I have to pretend to pass out on the faders...
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
I was recording a demo with a friend late at night at his house while we were quite sleep deprived from a long day. I whipped out a banjo and he grabbed a tamborine and we just started recording the chorus. It was hilarious (at the time at least) because the banjo was really out of tune, yet you could still recognize the song.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
Quote by axemanchris
I had a bunch of 16-17-year-olds come in. They said they were a hardcore band and had ambitions of recording an album in six hours. (8 songs)

I tried to break it to them gently that this wasn't very likely.

They showed me. They bloody nailed it. Bam! Bam! Bam! Bam! That's a wrap folks!

Now, to be fair, they weren't looking for a Def Leppard production, and nor should they have been. They were going more for Minor Threat, and that's closer to what they got. There were a small number of performance flaws, though nothing serious. They were willing to live with them.

But still...

I was impressed. I've had people three times their age that weren't as prepared or as tight.

CT
I was told that about inhaling by a big time vocal teacher,Boston Opera,crap like that.Hell,it did'nt help me any.panhead201
[59 Goldtop,lefty
[72 ES-355-TDSV
[68 Black LP Custom,lefty
[68 Goldtop,lefty
[06 Schecter C-! Classic,,lefty
[28 National resonator
[Mesa triple rec Marshall "A"cab
["B"cab,4-12 Mesa,s
[Mesa Nomad 45,4-10,s,combo
[ 64 Gibson-ES-330-TDC
We were sittin in the lounge listening to what was getting close to the final mix,and my drummer had been washing down Watermelon Schnapps with gallon jugs of Gallo Barberone and pizza for 36 hours and my harp player kept his gear in a little Rebel tackle box,and it was on the table,open and full.The drummer could'nt find a trash can and that's where his (lunch) ended up.We just latched it and hit a dumpster.Twenty years later it's funny,but it did'nt go over too big at the time.panhead201
[59 Goldtop,lefty
[72 ES-355-TDSV
[68 Goldtop,lefty
[28 National resonator
["B"cab,4-12 Mesa,s
[ 64 Gibson-ES-330-TDC
Quote by ShevanelFlip

I had to Record Banana Dave,he had this thing where if you scraped off the inside of banana,s dried it and smoked it you got high.He had an entourage of about 40 people who all repeated I lika banana,you lika banana,during the song.It was August in NYC and not one of em had a shower in three months.It was at Ladyland,60 feet underground.Halfway through the first tracck,I got in the elevator,went to the nearest barr,and don't remember the rest.HE ACTUALLY SOLD COPIES OF THIS THING.1967
[59 Goldtop,lefty
[72 ES-355-TDSV
[68 Goldtop,lefty
[28 National resonator
["B"cab,4-12 Mesa,s
[ 64 Gibson-ES-330-TDC
Not really a funny story,but going along with an earlier post.
We went into a our first session,with 8 hours booked hopeing to do 14 songs.The sound engineer said 'I don't reckon we'll get 14 done,but we'll give it a try'
14 songs and 7 hours later,the sound engineer was buying us pizza and we were sitting around with an hour to kill
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.