Hi, experimenting with the C major scale, I started using it over a blues in G and it sounds cool, does anyone know why? Which mode would that be? my intuition tells me that I am actually playing G mixolydian (the fifth degree of C major is G). Is that correct? thanks, this is a major Aha moment for me. No pun intended.
The C and G major scales have one note different - G has an F#, C has an F.

If a G blues context, F natural is a flat sevenths. And of course the flat sevenths is very common in blues - you see a G7 chord used all the time! The G blues scale is G, Bb, B, C, D and F.

So, depending on how you're playing, most likely all you're really doing is just using a common note for the blues in your scale. It probably makes more sense to think this way than to think about modes.
In that context you're still playing in the G major scale, you just make an accidental the F instead of F# in G major.
Which is called a G mixolydian scale (Not to be confused with modes).
It's common in blues.
Try to play this scale over it: G A# C D F G over that G major progression.
The b3 and the b7 are called blues accidentals, mainly because they are used alot in blues.
That's a minor pentatonic which you probably already knew.
Quote by liampje

Which is called a G mixolydian scale (Not to be confused with modes).

Just because you add the word scale at the end of it, it doesn't make it any less of a mode...

It's just a G MAJOR scale with a lowered 7th
Quote by d1sturbed4eva
Just because you add the word scale at the end of it, it doesn't make it any less of a mode...

What lljampe is saying is that as the song is in a key, modes do not apply. So using the word "scale" is less likely to confuse readers here.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I am confused, if I am using G major with a flat 7, isn't that the mixolydian mode? so, it is not a mode of the C major scale?
It's a C major with a b7. Modes don't exist. They are a dead creature that hasn't existed for many a year.
Quote by ponchete
I am confused, if I am using G major with a flat 7, isn't that the mixolydian mode? so, it is not a mode of the C major scale?

Because the backing track is in G Major. It's blues so I'm willing to bet it is a I (G B D) IV (C E G) V (D F# A) progression in G which has a F#.

You're just using a lowered 7th over it
Quote by ponchete

The song is in the key of G major, you said it yourself. Modes do not apply in keys.
Soundcloud
Quote by ponchete

Modern music isn't in modes in general.
Only very few songs (speaking of 9999 out of 10000) are tonal.
A more modern approach is scales with accidentals, but that doesn't make it a mode, nor does it even sound a bit like a mode.
Quote by d1sturbed4eva
Because the backing track is in G Major. It's blues so I'm willing to bet it is a I (G B D) IV (C E G) V (D F# A) progression in G which has a F#.

You're just using a lowered 7th over it

I agree with the rest of your post but the firstk sentence, I loll'd.
Because it's in G major it's a blues.
Bob Dylan's knocking on heaven's doors is still a folk song and in G major.
Quote by liampje

Uh, dude. Reread what you were complaining about. See that period?

He's not saying that because it's in G major it's blues. If you replace the period with a comma and add a period two words later your complaint would be valid - but that's not what he wrote.
Quote by HotspurJr
Uh, dude. Reread what you were complaining about. See that period?

He's not saying that because it's in G major it's blues. If you replace the period with a comma and add a period two words later your complaint would be valid - but that's not what he wrote.

And this is the part where I feel like stfu and get some sleep lol.
Quote by liampje

I was just making it clear that it is in a major key, not mixolydian. TS is wondering why he's playing an F (not an F#) and it still is in G major. You can't argue that it is a progression in major (I IV V), so I don't see what it is so funny about it.
Remind me not to be helpful to you in the future, Lampje.

D1sturbed, this is a reading comprehension problem on Lampje's part. He thinks you wrote something other than what you wrote, but his response to the error being pointed out was "stfu" - so ...

Probably not worth engaging with.
Quote by HotspurJr
Remind me not to be helpful to you in the future, Lampje.

D1sturbed, this is a reading comprehension problem on Lampje's part. He thinks you wrote something other than what you wrote, but his response to the error being pointed out was "stfu" - so ...

Probably not worth engaging with.

The STFU was directed at himself I thought, you know as in "I'm wrong and sleepy so I'll be quiet and go to sleep".
Soundcloud
Hotspur, you misunderstand him (just as he misunderstood you) - he realised that he was wrong, said that he thinks HE should STFU and go to bed, hes not being rude to you just saying that he's tired.

Ninjad
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do