Currently doing a law course (GDL) which I'm seeing through ok, got a routine and a system and I can generally motivate myself to do the work. But I'm having serious doubts about becoming a solicitor - getting a training contract is impossible unless you have connections and/or a first class degree with so much extracurricular stuff that it's a leech on your health and energy.

Also, more to the point I was looking through the Lex 100 guide and the working hours are just disgraceful. I did a week at a high street firm and they're working beyond 6.30. So in a legal career hours don't seem to change unless they're increasing. Having a healthy work/life balance is absolutely essential to me, which means leaving the office at 6pm at the latest.

It's a weird situation because I tend to enjoy most of my course's material, and I "get it" - it's easy for me to "think like a lawyer" (the favourite line they feed you at the start of any law course). But I feel so frustrated because it's a long haul in the toughest job market (if anyone knows of any job market that's tougher, please enlighten me!) and then if you do get a training contract it's yet another situation where you're "not quite there yet" because the next step is to qualify, then it's promotion, blah blah blah - I just feel like dropping out and looking for a job that doesn't require me to learn and challenge myself and all that BS jargon that graduates are expected to be enticed by.

Maybe that sounds like I'm after an "easy" job but I feel like I've always been clutching blindly at something that's just above me since I did my GCSEs (6 years ago): as odd as it sounds I want a plateau where I can really relax in terms of my "future" - I'm tired of having to think about it all the time. Of course it might be a case of "the grass is greener...", but I've never been on the other side and my current situation is making me irritable, restless and deeply unhappy.

Sorry for the wall of text, and I'll appreciate any sensible and/or incisive responses.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
-> Does not want to work after 6:30
-> Thinks he can relax about his future.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Finish your degree, especially if your coping wit the work load.

Get your degree and then decide what you want to do. Just having a Law degree doesnt mean you have to be a lawyer, though it will show your capable of working at a high level and may be very helpful when looking for work.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I did the LPC at BPP Law School - already had a Law Degree so I didn't need to do the GDL. PM me if you have any questions. What was your undergraduate course in?
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Apr 2, 2012,
ITT: Life is hard.

So don't be a lawyer. Damn, is it really that hard?

You're obviously a bright guy if you can muscle through all that law school BS, so why don't you pursue something else that you might enjoy a little more?

In my restless dreams...
I see that town.
Silent Hill.
You promised you'd take me there again someday.
But you never did.

Well, I'm alone there now.
In our 'special place'...
Waiting for you.

Quote by Alpha_Wolf
ITT: Life is hard.

So don't be a lawyer. Damn, is it really that hard?

You're obviously a bright guy if you can muscle through all that law school BS, so why don't you pursue something else that you might enjoy a little more?

Law School is bullshit. In other words, it's easy. It's finding the Training Contract which is difficult.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Based on what little I know about law graduates, I would guess that if you don't want to go the extra mile in terms of working hours you probably wouldn't cut it as a lawyer, as it's such a competitive area you really have to grind it out.

Getting the degree and going into a generic office environment with a decent starting wage could work though.
I wish I had a dollar for every lawyer I know who either isn't doing legal work or who hates doing legal work.
Here's some food for thought for people who don't know much about the Legal Industry in UK in order to qualify as a solicitor:

1. Law Degree at University (£9000K course and increasing excluding accommodation and living costs)
2. Legal Practice Course (LPC) at Law School (£12,000 and increasing each year excluding accommodation and living costs). If no, Law Degree, do the GDL first (costs around £6000-9000) and then the LPC.
3. Find a Training Contract with a firm of solicitors who will take you on for 2 years compulsory - almost impossible to obtain unless you know someone in the industry or have mounds of legal experience which is very unlikely in most cases.

Getting legal experience by way of vacation placements and work experience is just as difficult. You need to show that you have experience in order to back up your application and then after, they'll put you through endless stages of interviews, psycometric tests, panel interviewing etc. At the end of the day, the employers will exploit you and pay you either nothing or under £500 a month as they know you NEED the experience.

If you don't know the legal industry as me and the Thread Starter do, you really won't understand the stuff that we have to go through - kinda hard to explain but you won't know unless you go to Law School.

The fact is, guys, The Threadstarter is already at Law School doing the GDL.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Apr 2, 2012,
You did GCSE 6 years ago - that makes A-level 4 years ago, which means you have about 2-3 months left of your degree! Stick it out!! I'm in the same situation, (have to hand in my masters project and sit finals in the next 2 months), yes I feel like giving up - am I going to HELLS NO!

Whether or not you want to be a lawyer a law degree gets you places. My housemate who did law is off to teachFirst then has a deferred consultancy job with Bain - not too shabby, but in all honesty probably similar hours to law.

Knowing a lot of people who have graduated last year and headed into jobs - you could not predict their hours by their job title. Guys at Accenture are clocking off at 5.30 everyday but others in teaching or small tech firms are frequently in till 7 and working over weekends.

In summary, stick it out till your exams are done. Put some law applications in (you'll regret it if you never try...) but aside from that take the summer to evaluate your situation. What are your job options, what sort of life do you want, where can you see yourself in 5 years? Do all of this thinking AFTER exams though. It'll just make it unecessarily stressful if it's on your mind.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
You don't have to go into law with a law degree. Off the top of my head, why not try consulting?
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Spud Spudly
I wish I had a dollar for every lawyer I know who either isn't doing legal work or who hates doing legal work.

This
Quote by LedZeppelin9345
(...)Having a healthy work/life balance is absolutely essential to me, which means leaving the office at 6pm at the latest.

(...)

Not to shit on your parade bro, but this is 2012. The days of working and being able to live normally and afford what you want are long gone. Now everybody has a stick getting shoved up their ass. Welcome to the future.
Quote by ErikLensherr
You don't have to go into law with a law degree. Off the top of my head, why not try consulting?

I did a 2 month consulting internship last year and hated most of it. Ironically the parts I enjoyed were the legal aspects, which then led me onto the GDL.

Quote by Harmonius
I did the LPC at BPP Law School - already had a Law Degree so I didn't need to do the GDL. PM me if you have any questions. What was your undergraduate course in?

I'm at BPP as well lol. I assume you're now training/qualified?

I did my BA in economics, got a 2.1 from Durham and as I said I'm finding the GDL fairly straightforward. So it's not like I can't cut it in terms of brainpower - I just feel fed up and whenever I look at firms' websites I have a dearth of motivation, and just feel like it's a worthless pursuit especially knowing that I stand a better chance of getting a less competitive job for the time being.

Quote by Neo Evil11
-> Does not want to work after 6:30
-> Thinks he can relax about his future.

Working after 6.30 is fairly ridiculous judging by when rush hour seems to be (given people start at 8.30/9). I don't mind getting into work earlier but I don't like having limited time to myself in the evenings.

By future I meant immediate future, like 1-2 years. Considering that lots of people take gap years just floundering about in tropical climes, and that I've gone straight from school to uni to law school, I think my feelings aren't unjustified, or at the very least uncommon for my age (21 btw).

I'm not being defensive, just explaining myself a little bit...

But hey maybe I'm unaccustomed to the world of work and will just have to deal with hating work like everyone else.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Quote by LedZeppelin9345

I'm at BPP as well lol. I assume you're now training/qualified?

I did my BA in economics, got a 2.1 from Durham and as I said I'm finding the GDL fairly straightforward. So it's not like I can't cut it in terms of brainpower - I just feel fed up and whenever I look at firms' websites I have a dearth of motivation, and just feel like it's a worthless pursuit especially knowing that I stand a better chance of getting a less competitive job for the time being.

Are you at the Holborn Campus? I can tell you exactly where my old locker is. I'm training at the moment.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by LedZeppelin9345
Working after 6.30 is fairly ridiculous judging by when rush hour seems to be (given people start at 8.30/9). I don't mind getting into work earlier but I don't like having limited time to myself in the evenings.

By future I meant immediate future, like 1-2 years. Considering that lots of people take gap years just floundering about in tropical climes, and that I've gone straight from school to uni to law school, I think my feelings aren't unjustified, or at the very least uncommon for my age (21 btw).

I'm not being defensive, just explaining myself a little bit...

But hey maybe I'm unaccustomed to the world of work and will just have to deal with hating work like everyone else.

I would not have the money or the need to take a gap year. Also in my field I will probably just find a job I want. If that's not the case for you than I wonder: didn't you think about this before you started?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
I would not have the money or the need to take a gap year. Also in my field I will probably just find a job I want. If that's not the case for you than I wonder: didn't you think about this before you started?

Yeah I did but I can't tell if I've genuinely changed my mind or if I've just been feeling particularly pissed off lately lol.

Good to hear that it's actually possible to have an idea of what you want to do and stick with it. Good luck mate
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

Quote by LedZeppelin9345
Yeah I did but I can't tell if I've genuinely changed my mind or if I've just been feeling particularly pissed off lately lol.

Good to hear that it's actually possible to have an idea of what you want to do and stick with it. Good luck mate

I am supposed to say FYEB...

but I have a feeling you are really struggling. What can you do to change that? Switch carreers? or just go through with it?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ